Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was considered to be the worlds leading expert on Stargate technology?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    Well it does depend on what you define as an expert. A Physicist could explain in detail how the wormhole works. An Engineer could explain in detail how punching in an address and giving the gate power results in interstellar travel.
    Okay I meant sb who sticks to the physics, the engineering and everything else that is connected with the gate - he or she simply never is mentioned or shown.
    CARPE DIEM
    ANJA

Comment

Originally posted by Anja View Post
      Okay I meant sb who sticks to the physics, the engineering and everything else that is connected with the gate - he or she simply never is mentioned or shown.
      I know, but i would expect someone behind the scenes to have figured out the physics. Carter is more of an Engineer (Seriously half the guys called "scientists" are pretty much engineers) than a scientist. Mckay is more of an engineer who deals more with the IT side of things (programming replicators for one) while Carter is busier with the more physical aspect.

Also, Carter has a specialization on Goa'uld and Asgard technology while Mckay's in Ancient technology, Lantean technology specifically. So i don't think there really is one "foremost expert" right now.

Comment

they specifically talk about dialing the Supergate from a Stargate (because of the whole "designed to dial in from the outside"), which would be difficult for the Stargate. There's no talk about the reverse.
        Ah, you're right, I misinterpreted the exchange. However, my point remains: the energy required to dial a Supergate from a regular gate would simply be too much for the Stargate to handle. Even at maximum capacity the energy stored within a Stargate would not be enough to make a connection with a Supergate. So, the opposite scenario can be inferred as well.

Using a Supergate to dial a Stargate would not work either because the energy required to power the Supergate would "far exceed that of an ordinary gate", meaning that it would overload.

Since either gate can power a connection, it makes sense that the initial surge would be just fine for the Supergate. Which, by the way, also is according to what happened when the wormhole jumped, as the Supergate took over the connection just fine. If what is said by Mckay is true for both gates, then the plan would never work in any incarnation. The fact that it did work proves that a Supergate and Stargate can connect. It's just that a Stargate can not safely dial a Supergate, but a Supergate can safely dial a Stargate.
        I've said that they can in fact connect, it's just that you can't make the connection through regular dialling-in/out means in either direction.

Carter theorised that adding enough extra energy through an already stable wormhole connection between two regular Stargates would cause a wormhole jump to a Supergate. So yes, you could connect a Stargate to a Supergate through additional interference, but you can't connect a Supergate to a Stargate. Based on everything here I can only imagine one way for that to happen would be to somehow do the opposite: connect two Supergates together and cause a jump between one and a Stargate, probably by decreasing the energy channelled through the Wormhole - but we've never seen that happen as far as I'm aware, so we don't know if that's possible.

However, judging from the size difference (a factor ~230), if the correlation between size and power is quadratic or cubic then the power requirement is 53000 to 12 million times as much. The correlation of distance seems to be linear (Atlantis is less than 1/10 000th of a ZPM else they'd never dial weekly/monthly and you'd never be able to dial Destiny). Logically speaking, that makes dialing a Supergate (using the cubic correlation as the volume of the wormhole increases) to dialing a Stargate, as dialing intragalactic is to dialing Destiny.
        That's what they needed the nukes for, to increase the energy yield substantially in order to force the jump between two gates, to channel immense amounts of energy through the regular-sized wormhole so the Supergate would be able to 'catch' the jump, as it were. The first few attempts did not yield enough energy for the jump to take effect, most likely because enough energy wasn't funnelled through the connection to power the Supergate on the other end. Once enough energy was through the wormhole the jump took affect and the Supergate was powered up.

My point was that others have not just been able to catch up, but also gather their own knowledge.

She may have been the leading expert once, but i think she lost that position a few years back. The Mckay-Carter intergalactic gate bridge has Mckay on it for a reason.
        Rodney says the Gate Bridge was Carter's idea. (SGA: 3x03 "Irresistible", opening scene.) Sure she needs help with the details but, yet again, she's the one thinking outside the box and coming up with potential solutions. My reasoning for saying Sam is the expert isn't simply because of the understanding of the physics or the engineering it is because of her ability to solve Stargate-related problems like no one else can time and time again.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Hive View Post
          Using a Supergate to dial a Stargate would not work either because the energy required to power the Supergate would "far exceed that of an ordinary gate", meaning that it would overload.
          The fact that the wormhole can jump proves that it can happen. Literally, if the wormhole jump scenario works, dialling the Stargate works too. There's no way that pouring energy into the stargate via nukes is more efficient or less threshold-crossing than using conventional electricity

Comment

I honestly don't see how a wormhole jump from a Stargate to a Supergate proves that you can use a Supergate to dial a Stargate? I think there are too many differences between the two scenarios to say that they are exactly comparable. It's very apples and oranges to me.

For the sake of keeping the thread on topic I'll just agree to disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Hive View Post
              I honestly don't see how a wormhole jump from a Stargate to a Supergate proves that you can use a Supergate to dial a Stargate?
              Because the size difference still exists between the Supergate and Stargate. Therefore, when the wormhole jumps it still has to account for size. However the Supergate in the jump scenario pays the extra energy, which is why it works around the problem of the regular gate not being able to dial a supergate. So, it proves that the Supergate can dial a regular gate.

Comment

Working...
              X