Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was considered to be the worlds leading expert on Stargate technology?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who was considered to be the worlds leading expert on Stargate technology?

I believe in earlier seasons it was said that it was Sam, but later on, with her having more a commando position, maybe if was McKay then or even Rush? Was that clarified at one point?

And I was wondering one thing, if Eli was the only person who could solve the energy problem in the game, does that mean he has the highest IQ of then all? I bet McKay wasn´t amused , and he surly had a try, same with Carter.
    Last edited by Nerwen; 20 August 2015, 01:38 PM.

I don't think it's that simple. The gates are different in different galaxies, and maybe those differences go deeper than just the appearance of the gates. So I'd say that Carter's the leading expert on Milky Way gates, while McKay is the leading expert on Pegasus gates and Rush knows the most about Destiny gates. That's my take on it anyway.
    sigpic

Comment

And just cause Eli solved the problem, doesn't automatically mean he is smarter than Rush, Carter or Mccay. Just that he had more free time to devote to it..

Comment

I think it is staed that Eli is more intelligent than Rush, didn´t he say that Eli is the genius he never will be?

I wonder if Rodney and Sam were involved in solving the problem with the 9th chevron, after all both would be considered to be the leading experts, but Rodney was on Atlantis at this time and Sam was also busy with getting the command of the Hammond and I think Daniel explicitly consulted Rush for that project, so maybe both had no part in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nerwen View Post
          I wonder if Rodney and Sam were involved in solving the problem with the 9th chevron, after all both would be considered to be the leading experts, but Rodney was on Atlantis at this time and Sam was also busy with getting the command of the Hammond and I think Daniel explicitly consulted Rush for that project, so maybe both had no part in it.
          Sometimes solving a problem involves luck. Eli is a mathematician, which is a VERY different field from Carter's Astrophysics and engineering, or from Mckay's computer science/programming.

Considering the work she's done, i think Carter is the actual leading expert. Mckay's probably a close second (and more into the field of programming of stargates), but Carter simply has done the most unique work in terms of the Stargate.

Comment

I feel like one type of scientist on this show can do just about any field of science. But if they were truly limited to their specializations, I'd say Carter.
            By Nolamom
            sigpic

Comment

For me i'd say Carter is overall more knowledgeable, but for Ancient stuff especially, its Mccay.

And just cause Eli may have more smarts (IQ) does not automatically translate to being better.. I knew quite a few people who were smarter than me in the Navy, but cause OF their IQ, it got in the way of thinking around a problem, that someone less smart solved..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                For me i'd say Carter is overall more knowledgeable, but for Ancient stuff especially, its Mccay.

And just cause Eli may have more smarts (IQ) does not automatically translate to being better.. I knew quite a few people who were smarter than me in the Navy, but cause OF their IQ, it got in the way of thinking around a problem, that someone less smart solved..
                Carter has a much wider variety of knowledge, and is more engineering focused (really, the line between scientist and engineer just doesn't exist in this universe. Carter, in our world, would be an Engineer, not a Scientist). Mckay has a greater knowledge base regarding ancient technology and the coding side (e.g. AI code). Rush's main occupation seems to be ancient technology with a side of Math.

However, considering Perry was the leader in the field of hyperdrives, i think we'll see a new generation of scientist who, in stead of being away on missions all the time, spent the last decade actually studying all the crap the SG teams brought back. Carter, with he recent military work, is likely to be overtaken soon. Mckay seems to be busier with actual research.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                  Carter has a much wider variety of knowledge, and is more engineering focused (really, the line between scientist and engineer just doesn't exist in this universe. Carter, in our world, would be an Engineer, not a Scientist). Mckay has a greater knowledge base regarding ancient technology and the coding side (e.g. AI code). Rush's main occupation seems to be ancient technology with a side of Math.

However, considering Perry was the leader in the field of hyperdrives, i think we'll see a new generation of scientist who, in stead of being away on missions all the time, spent the last decade actually studying all the crap the SG teams brought back. Carter, with he recent military work, is likely to be overtaken soon. Mckay seems to be busier with actual research.
                  I think it was a bit waste that Sam took that commando position at the Hammond, imo she should focus more on research and her scientific side, but later on, she always does more military stuff than working on scientific problems, as if the scientist in her took the backseat, so yes it is very likely that someone will take her place as leading expert.

Well Mr Mallozzi gave a bit insight to what might have been, if SGU has continued, that was one of the possibilities:

Over the course of three (+?) years, Earth finally finds a way to dial Destiny and launches a rescue op. The power source used could be something the combined brilliance of both Samantha Carter and Rodney McKay engineer (if the SGU movie had happened, they would have surely guested, boarding Destiny as part of the retrieval team) or, perhaps former leader Jonas Quinn comes out of early retirement and – again with Carter and McKay’s help – finds a safe way to dial Destiny from his planet.
                  That is a nice idea and shows again more of Carters scientific side.

Comment

That would have been sweet. Though how would they really have done the rescue? Woudl they have brought something to 'fabricate' repair parts?

Comment

It would probably look the same as Atlantis did...minus the appearance of Earth Ships. Unless they find a supergate or something like that.
                      By Nolamom
                      sigpic

Comment

But can a supergate connect to a regular gate?

Comment

yes. It was the entire point of blocking out the Supergate

Comment

Not what I meant. The destiny finds one they can use...or the ability to make one upon demand.
                            By Nolamom
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              yes. It was the entire point of blocking out the Supergate
                              That was the smaller gate shunting its 'wormhole' over to the supergate, to lock it up/power it. Not the same thing.. Can super gate A make a wormhole that would connect to regular gate B and stuff get to pass through it? That's what i am asking.

Comment

Working...
                              X