Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 Things, Destiny and After SGU (SPOILERS)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Things, Destiny and After SGU (SPOILERS)

This is mainly to get other people's thoughts as think its some ideas worth looking into.
    Firstly, just re watched all of the stargate series for the 3rd time.

It got me thinking about the end of SGU, we know that the problem they faced was supplies......alien ships prevented them from resupplying and without earth to supply they went into stasis. Earth needed to use a planet with suitable power generation to maintain the wormhole but clearly Atlantis with 3 near fully charged ZPM's should be enough right? So this could mean Atlantis never got to earth before the crew left for Destiny, meaning maybe future episodes could of used Atlantis once returned to Earth as the supply line to Destiny.

Side note: I know it's mentioned everywhere that Destiny was launched from Earth but it was never really expanded upon....it makes more sense that it was launched from the Alteran galaxy....i mean the Ori was hell bent on religious beliefs and what better way to knock them down by sending a ship to find a pattern to suggest intelligent life made the universe. When the conflict between them got to intense they left where they met the Asgard in their Galaxy and then on to the milky way, which would explain the older look to the ship and gates that destiny had. Also how the gate evolved kind of made sense.....full moving(SGU), semi moving(SG1) and finally no moving parts(SGA)

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, thought id spark a discussion

Well Atlantis doesn't have fully charged ZPMs.

Also I imagine that the power supply needed to power the Stargate for a trip to Destiny has to be specific. Maybe an overpowered, unstable amount of energy like that a Naquadria core can provide is what it needs, and a ZPM is just too constant.

And we know that a ZPM can be completely drained in only a few minutes so if the Stargate needs more, then you're screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
      [..]
      And we know that a ZPM can be completely drained in only a few minutes so if the Stargate needs more, then you're screwed.
      With a few back-of-the-envelope calculations, the three ZPMs should be able to do it. However, i think the case here is that ZPM power is likely considered a strategic resource. After all, the supply of ZPM's is finite and Atlantis can only be powered by them. Even ~50 years of research will not create a human powersource capable of powering atlantis (see: The Last Man).

So, dialing Destiny will likely leave the ZPM's drained quite a bit, which is something the IOA likely never approved, hence they sought Naquahdriah planets as a substitute.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post

Also I imagine that the power supply needed to power the Stargate for a trip to Destiny has to be specific. Maybe an overpowered, unstable amount of energy like that a Naquadria core can provide is what it needs, and a ZPM is just too constant.

This is true. I think the instability of the energy source is what caused the planet in the pilot episode of SGU to explode...if I remember correctly. I really need to get SGU on DVD and re-watch it.
        sigpic

Comment

That kind of makes sense, but considering Naquadria didn't exist till after the ancients....how did the ancients expect to dial Destiny?

There best power source not being able to dial Destiny?

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
            This is true. I think the instability of the energy source is what caused the planet in the pilot episode of SGU to explode...if I remember correctly. I really need to get SGU on DVD and re-watch it.
            The instability thing kind of could make sense, but i don't see how the ancients most powerful source of energy couldn't maintain a wormhole......all they need is enough energy to dial, nothing on earth could make that much so they moved to using a planets core. Which reinforces my point that Atlantis must've not been on earth at that time, so during the time they are in stasis maybe Atlantis arrives on earth and could dial it? Also i pretty sure at the end of SGA they get 2 fully charged ZPM's from Tod(Even though the "Wormhole" jump was made it wasn't that far and they had enough energy to move an entire city through a wormhole, don't see how they wouldn't be able to dial destiny)

Comment

Originally posted by nobodyshome View Post
              That kind of makes sense, but considering Naquadria didn't exist till after the ancients....how did the ancients expect to dial Destiny?

Now that is a good question...maybe we can explore that...
              sigpic

Comment

Who's to say it didn't? Afterall the gate to dial destiny WAS on the Icarus planet.

Comment

This is mainly to get other people's thoughts as think its some ideas worth looking into.
                  Firstly, just re watched all of the stargate series for the 3rd time.

It got me thinking about the end of SGU, we know that the problem they faced was supplies......alien ships prevented them from resupplying and without earth to supply they went into stasis. Earth needed to use a planet with suitable power generation to maintain the wormhole but clearly Atlantis with 3 near fully charged ZPM's should be enough right? So this could mean Atlantis never got to earth before the crew left for Destiny, meaning maybe future episodes could of used Atlantis once returned to Earth as the supply line to Destiny.
                  First, like escyos said, Atlantis' ZPMs are virtually depleted. The use of the wormhole drive and the bombardment the city took from the Super Hive really taxed them. Even if they were fully-charged, it was stated that the power requirements exceed what a ZPM could provide. The output from a Naquadriah core is exponentially higher than a ZPM.

Second, while both the finale of Atlantis and the premier of SGU took place in 2009, there's still reason to believe that there was a gap in time between the former and the latter. I doubt Homeworld Command would be allocating the resources that it did to the Icarus Program if it knew there was an impending attack from an incredibly powerful Hive ship on it's way. Plus there was no mention of the George Hammond when the Hive was on it's way and it crippled the Apollo and Sun Tzu in the void. The only other ships were the Odyssey and the Daedalus. If the Hammond had been available it would have provided rescue and support to the Sun Tzu.

Further proof is that Carter was in command of the SGC during the events of the Super Hive's attack, but was later given command of the Hammond. If the Hammond was in service, she would've taken command of the ship to address the thread (likely how General Hammond took command of Prometheus to take on Anubis' forces in "Lost City, Part 2").

Side note: I know it's mentioned everywhere that Destiny was launched from Earth but it was never really expanded upon....it makes more sense that it was launched from the Alteran galaxy....i mean the Ori was hell bent on religious beliefs and what better way to knock them down by sending a ship to find a pattern to suggest intelligent life made the universe. When the conflict between them got to intense they left where they met the Asgard in their Galaxy and then on to the milky way, which would explain the older look to the ship and gates that destiny had. Also how the gate evolved kind of made sense.....full moving(SGU), semi moving(SG1) and finally no moving parts(SGA)

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, thought id spark a discussion
                  It makes no sense that Destiny would've launched from the Alteran galaxy.

1. The most explicit evidence is that the HUD in the Control Interface Room shows it's origination point as Earth.

2. The Stargate was nothing more than a concept at the time the Alterans departed their galaxy.

3. The address for Destiny requires Earth's point of origin, regardless of where it's being dialed from. So Destiny's systems are programmed to recognize Earth's PoO. The Ancients would not have known this is they were working from the Alteran galaxy.

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                  With a few back-of-the-envelope calculations, the three ZPMs should be able to do it. However, i think the case here is that ZPM power is likely considered a strategic resource. After all, the supply of ZPM's is finite and Atlantis can only be powered by them. Even ~50 years of research will not create a human powersource capable of powering atlantis (see: The Last Man).

So, dialing Destiny will likely leave the ZPM's drained quite a bit, which is something the IOA likely never approved, hence they sought Naquahdriah planets as a substitute.
                  While I agree with you, I think it could be argued that Naquadriah is equally strategic. Especially now that McKay has developed a way to stabilize the use of it. I mean, if they wanted to they could try to find another planet, park Atlantis on it, and connect to it's core the same way it connected to the geothermal energy on Lantea.

The impression of Naquadriah, at least, is that it's outrageously powerful. If you can harness it properly, it may be a greater source of energy than ZPM's. If you can find it, it might provide more energy over the long-term than a ZPM.

I would wager that the Ancients didn't anticipate dialing Destiny from such a long distance. They certainly had decades, maybe centuries or even a millennia or so when they could have dialed Destiny sufficiently with ZPM energy (or whatever energy source they used which predates it). However, they ascended in that intervening time.

It was only after—presumably—tens of millions of years that a greater energy source was necessitated for dialing it because it was billions of light years away from Earth.
                  Last edited by Aesop; 12 July 2015, 10:56 AM.

Comment

I feel that sine they set up the icarus planet to dial in, they knew they would eventually have needed a greater power source than they had access to.

Comment

Wow never thought about the whole distance thing, that makes total sense.

I re-watched the first episode and i saw what you meant about it leaving Earth. Even thought it left Earth, i think the main objective of destiny was to prove the Ori wrong about their beliefs.

You basically answered all i needed to know, thank you!
                      Note: At the end of SGA when Sheppard arrives on Earth, when Sam is at the elevator she mentions how they renamed a ship that was being built and not operational, from The Phoenix to the George Hammond, So i presume SGU must've took place after Atlantis arrived on Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Aesop View Post
                        I would wager that the Ancients didn't anticipate dialing Destiny from such a long distance. They certainly had decades, maybe centuries or even a millennia or so when they could have dialed Destiny sufficiently with ZPM energy (or whatever energy source they used which predates it). However, they ascended in that intervening time.

It was only after—presumably—tens of millions of years that a greater energy source was necessitated for dialing it because it was billions of light years away from Earth.
                        IMHO it's pretty much canon. It's never said in the series itself, but the writers explained that the Ancients abandoned Destiny because of Ascension (which probably makes it a whole lot easier to go about the universe and learn of the signal).

Even so, the Ancients could create more ZPM's if they wanted to. We can't. Naquahdriah power is definitely a strategic resource (Icarus planets even more so) but only ZPM's can properly power Atlantis. Adding an Naquahdriah powersource would have many problems. So using the Icarus planet for Destiny is a lot safer than using ZPM power.

Comment

Which is why i never understood why they didn't use any of their resources left in the pegasus galaxy to see if any of THEIR planets had Naquadriha.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                            Which is why i never understood why they didn't use any of their resources left in the pegasus galaxy to see if any of THEIR planets had Naquadriha.
                            If among the trillions of planets in the milky way they find only 2, the odds are high that pegasus has none

Comment

Also i'm pretty sure that Naquadriah wasn't natural to a planet, something todo with setting a Naquadah bomb off that converts Naquadah to Naquadriah over time?

Comment

Working...
                              X