What became of certain SG members?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    That doesn't work as all novels have to be approved by MGM to be published. And several of the novels violate the canon of the TV show. SGA: Blood Ties being a prime example
    I don't remember what "Blood Ties" was about. What canon did it violate?

Comment

Originally posted by Nerwen View Post
      But aren´t those novels approved by MGM?!?! So imo they are almost canon, definitely more than fan fiction.
      But is that the same as the original writers approving it? Because I've found things in them I don't like and would be surprised at if they showed up on the show.
      rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

Originally posted by Janet Fraiser View Post
        But is that the same as the original writers approving it? Because I've found things in them I don't like and would be surprised at if they showed up on the show.
        It isn't up to the original writers to approve anything. The stories they came up with throughout the series would have had to be approved by the producers and folks at MGM, not the other way around.

Just out of curiosity, what are some of the things you didn't like in the novels?

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
          It isn't up to the original writers to approve anything. The stories they came up with throughout the series would have had to be approved by the producers and folks at MGM, not the other way around.

Just out of curiosity, what are some of the things you didn't like in the novels?
          It's probably nitpicky, but I'm not crazy about certain character portrayals and shipping preferences that seem to fit fanfic more than something that you'd see on the show.

Wait, I feel like we've had this convo a few times now. Am I crazy?

Anyway, I'm definitely willing to read the different series (besides Legacy, honestly), but I'm not sure I'm ready to accept them as canon, personally.
          rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

I would never think of any of the books as canon, even if MGM approved. As noted above all the books have to be to get published. Some people love them but they REALLY do read like (sometimes) well written fanfic. I kind of think of them as AUs.
            sigpic

Comment

It's probably nitpicky, but I'm not crazy about certain character portrayals and shipping preferences that seem to fit fanfic more than something that you'd see on the show.

Wait, I feel like we've had this convo a few times now. Am I crazy?

Anyway, I'm definitely willing to read the different series (besides Legacy, honestly), but I'm not sure I'm ready to accept them as canon, personally.
              I agree with you 100%. Its a shame because there's a lot of good suff in legacy, such as the wraith origin and the new ancient war ship, it's just ruined by a lot of what I think are totally out of character behaviour, Teyla 'Mary-Sue' Emmagen being the worst of them. And hippy wraith.

I don't see it as canon on either, and like Lythisrose I tend to think of it as an A/U. In fact I think it would be good fun if they got another writer or writers to give us their take on what happened next.

Comment

Roughly two years after the defeat of the Ori, Carter was later promoted to Brigadier General and was put in charge of Stargate Command, placing her in command when the base was attacked by the System Lords Third Battle Group. (Stargate Resistance)
                Two years after the defeat of the Ori would be after SGA and before SGU. Carter makes her last appearance in Incursion, SGU, S01E19. I remember (and Stargate Wiki confirms: http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Incursion,_Part_1) that she was still a Colonel.

Comment

I suppose this is just personal preference, but I don't count anything that happens in the books as canon. More like published fanfiction. I'd probably feel the same way about any videogames, especially seeing as though Resistance, according to the wiki, is offline.
                  I agree with you. The books don't seem to follow the restraint of the shows writers, so they seem to contain all of the plot points and qualities of what viewers always wanted to see but never did.

Comment

But the books got approval from MGM so for me at least, they are as canon as it could be at this point and it is unlikely that we will hear something different from official side anytime soon. At least they gave closure the the Atlantis storyline and I like that one certain character return and how the J/ thing is handled, I just wish that canceled SG 1 movie would appear in book form. Can someone explain why why that didn´t happen until now? Don´t they earn enough mony with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Aesop View Post
                      I agree with you. The books don't seem to follow the restraint of the shows writers, so they seem to contain all of the plot points and qualities of what viewers always wanted to see but never did.
                      And all viewers want to see a gazillion different things, so those books can never be seen as anything but approved fanfiction. They're certainly not canon, as far as I am concerned.
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Well, after the Ori and their finale battle against Ba'al, the original SG-1 was disbanded and now it's Mitchell who leads its incernations trough the Stargate on missions. Jack is in charge of Homeworld Command until he retires for the final time. Sam is in charge of The Hammond until the end of her run on it and then is once again reunited with Jack and takes on much simpler tasks at the SG program (this could be Area 51 or sharing the leading spot of Homeworld Command with someone). Daniel went to Atlantis (which is still somewhere in the Milky Way) and is exploring the city and its technology along with McKay, Zelenka and the Beckett clone. I'm guessing Vala either followed him or just went to persue her own interests. Landry is in Washington, stuck doing all the paperwork that Jack (and later, his siccessor) submits to him and nags about not being able to see his own daughter that much. Dr. Lam is still with the SG program, working as a nurse/doctor at the Homeworld Command. Teal'c went back to his people and works as some kind of consaultant there.

Ronnon and Teyla are on Earth, leaving new lives and Teyla is still wondering if she's ever going to see her people and the father of her baby again. McKay and Keller are now married, but their marriage is shaky due to the constant obligations to the Stargate pogram and they are caught between the road of marriage and the road of divorce. Woosley is still in charge of Atlantis and still thinking (along with Sheppard) about what do to with Todd. Meanwhile, John is in charge of a new SG team that goes on Stargate missions.

Since SGU was cancelled in 2011, I'm guessing that the crew has to be back by now, but who knows what became of them by the end of Destiny's mission, so I'm not even going to try even guessing what happened to them. But one thing is sure: Rush is still a scientist b**** who does not rest until he gets whatever he wants.

Comment

Working...
                        X