Whose loss was more gut-wrenching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whose loss was more gut-wrenching?

I think this has been done before, but I wasn't sure.

I've been doing a lot of re-watching lately, and I've been wondering: whose death in the franchise would be more widely considered "emotional"? Frasier, Beckett or Riley?

For me, the way Riley's death scene played out was more emotional than the other two. Although his importance in relationship to the broader show is questionable when compared to the other two's roles, I maintain his death "got me" more than the others.

Daniel

Then Beckett
    Frasier
    Jacob Carter should be in there too somewhere
    And Dr Weir
    Martouf

Riley.. I've only seen SGU once.. so not really as connected to the characters as the other series..

Comment

For me, it was Janet Frasier, then Jacob Carter, then Carson Beckett, then Elizabeth Weir.

Comment

It's Daniel for me first, then Janet. Beckett, Jacob Carter, Martouf are somewhere (quite a lot farther) down the line.
        Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Out of the 3 choices in the OP, I'd pick Janet, but overall, I think Daniel's death in Meridian was the most emotional.

In a list it would go something like this for me:

Daniel
          Janet
          Elizabeth
          Riley
          Jacob
          Carson
          Martouf
          sigpic

Comment

Janet, then Jacob for me.
            sigpic

Comment

<---

I was avoiding having to watch Meridian for a while because I thought it would really get to me. When I finally did watch it, though, I didn't feel nearly as sad as I thought. I suppose it's because I knew I'd see him throughout the next season.

Beckett's definitely would have been up there if he hadn't come back.

I think the permanent deaths would be at the top of the list for me because their loss is felt not only at the moment of their death but over time through their absence. Not seeing them when and where you expect is sometimes more painful than the initial shock.

Janet, Jacob, Elizabeth, and Martouf are probably those whose losses I feel most deeply.

ETA: Rereading your post, I realize I went off-topic a bit.

From your list, I would personally say Janet --> Beckett --> Riley only because I haven't seen SGU. If Riley's is permanent, and I'm guessing it is with how short SGU is, then... maybe it'll be gut-wrenching for me.

I would assume that, of the other two, Janet's would be more generally considered the most painful. But I can't speak for others.
              Last edited by Janet Fraiser; 20 May 2015, 11:55 PM.
              rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

I'd say Fraiser every time
                sigpic

Comment

Let's be the predictable Lemming that I am - Kate Heightmeyer of course.

Anyway... I'd have to pick Daniel's ascension in Meridian as the most gut-wrenching, heartbreaking one. However, from the three above I have no idea who Riley is, so I'd have to say Janet's made me gasp and go "Oh no!" while Beckett's was just BOOM. Thus, I pick Fraiser.
                  Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Which danny death do we go with?

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                      Which danny death do we go with?
                      Ha touché.

That's why I didn't include him in the OP because I knew he'd be back when he ascended the first time. The three I listed were the ones whose death impacted me the most.

Comment

I never really felt Frasier's or Beckett's death. Both of them were so-called mysteries, played out until the last possible moment. The death wasn't actually built-up, it was only at the end when the writers went: "Yep, it's him/her." Even though I liked them both(especially Carson) and was sad to see them go, I didn't feel it.

To me, the saddest death was probably Jacob's, because he had a chance to say goodbye and I was really, really invested into his character(which I dare say was more developed than either Beckett's or Frasier's anyway). I felt like yelling: "No! Why him?! He's too good to go!"
                        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Jack's after season 8.
                          Now seriously, Jack's in "Continuum".

Comment

I'd have to say Janet, her death had such an impact on the whole show, but Riley's was pretty gut wrenching for me as well.

Comment

I think what made Riley's especially heart breaking was not only that he suffered a long time, but also Young basically euthanized him. So it directly impacted him in a personal way too (not that it didn't personally effect the others on Destiny, but you know what I mean).

Comment

Working...
                              X