How would YOU have approached Season 6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
    Depends on how drained those 3 ZPMs they have are after the battle over earth (Enemy at the gates) and with getting BACK to the PG..
    If it can leave a planet with just 1 ZPM, it can leave with 3 ZPM's. That little trick seemed to have a negligible impact on the ZPM's power reserves.

It's pretty clear from context that the city doesn't allow the ZPM's to draw enough power to critical systems that it might endanger the city. E.g. when they overloaded Asura they could barely get a big enough explosion to vaporize the city. Getting enough power to take off from 1 ZPM puts the city at risk, but it doesn't noticeably drain the ZPM. Non-critical systems may get enough power to drain the ZPM in seconds (Mckay-Miller device), probably because the effect of the machine getting that much power is taken into account. E.g. the city doesn't allow the engines or hyperdrive to get that much power because if the city so happens to be in orbit, it's royally screwed should the engines blow from overload. Shields however are an absolute failure conditions. E.g. it doesn't matter *how* they fail; if they don't get enough power to defend the city you're screwed, if you overload them to take enemy blows then you're screwed either way.

This seems to be the case with the disparities between ZPM drain for various systems (e.g. 1 ZPM is easily depleted by a Mkcay-Miller device but at full drain for the engines, isn't emptied in an equal amount of time) .

Comment

For the longest time I've been trying to come up with a valid and coherent reason why Atlantis would return to the Pegasus galaxy.

The self destruct sequence has some minor merit but is ultimately very flimsy. It would take over a century for the Wraith to cross the void between the Milky Way and Pegasus so an invasion is very unlikely. The only race potentially capable of sending an intergalactic warning would be the Asgard - but would they really care about us after we ruined their plans?

I've thought of a plotline involving the Goa'uld but it's a bit convoluted. Sigh. Has anyone else thought of reasons why Atlantis would go back to Pegasus?

Comment

Originally posted by Super Hive View Post
        Has anyone else thought of reasons why Atlantis would go back to Pegasus?
        The Wraith have not been defeated, and since the expedition woke them up, it's their responsibility to the Pegasus galaxy to keep it safe and protect the people from being eaten.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Perhaps after they stay a while, they find something in the database about ANOTHER tower like planet where there exists a potential third city ship, one with an intact intergalactic hyperdrive and need to go back to ensure the wraith don't get it. BUT during the battle there, Atlantis's drive gets damaged.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            The Wraith have not been defeated, and since the expedition woke them up, it's their responsibility to the Pegasus galaxy to keep it safe and protect the people from being eaten.
            I'm sure that the crew of Atlantis would think this but I think that the IOA are waaaaay too selfish to be so just. I doubt Woolsey, even with his character growth, would allow them to steal Atlantis from underneath the IOA's noses - although to be fair I think that Sheppard would give it a damn good try =P

Comment

Who cares about responsibility. We have this giant space ship that can protect the Earth
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

For the longest time I've been trying to come up with a valid and coherent reason why Atlantis would return to the Pegasus galaxy.
                The Wraith are sitting on the largest cache of ancient technology ever discovered, have every reason to band together to stave off extinction and scavenge the necessary ancient technology to get to earth in record time?

I mean, the past 10 000 years they didn't care. The Keepers pretty much grabbed power and the average Wraith can't really resist their queen. Less than a hundred individuals made the hibernation plan and it worked fine. The wraith have been fine for 10 000 years. Nothing changes a race, known for it's inability to control strong natural urges like showing they're the apex predatory, than facing extinction while having been shown the path to earth.

With Atlantis no longer messing around and Michael dead, the forces behind the civil war are gone. Within years the fighting dies out, within a decade they're on our doorstep in all their might. They brought down the ancients, and we have them on their knees. Not even the stupidest politician would dare to give them a breather, it's better to cut them down when they're low.

While im not certain if sending *atlantis* is the best idea, we basically have a near-functional aurora in the void that needs a new hyperdrive and powersource and we have a new mobile base to send expeditions from. Allocate some resources to have the 304's continue to eradicate the wraith and within the decade, we have an entire ancient-tech filled galaxy to safely explore.

Basically, America went to war for oil and Russia faces sanctions for a buffer zone. Homeworld command will continue the war with the wraith for what's essentially a galaxy full of oil with an al-quaida strength enemy that can be IS within the decade. Pull out the ancient tech under the pretense of Spoils of War, hand over the galaxy to the locals again and enjoy a crapton of power for a relatively low cost.

Comment

Great enthusiasm, thekillman! =D

It would take time for the Wraith to band together in such a way, but I definitely think that they would. I mean, if the subspace transmission from the alternate reality that disclosed the location of Earth reached the ZPM/Super Hive and the Daedalus in Pegasus why wouldn't it have reached the rest of the Wraith?

In terms of a Season 6 though, would it really be Stargate Atlantis if it didn't take place in Pegasus? (Assuming the Wraith invaded the Milky Way, or were at least on the way) Or is the location merely a means to an end, and the conflict between the Wraith and the Tau'ri is more central? I suppose it would shake things up a bit, and you could intermingle SG-1 and Atlantis some more. I've always wanted to see the Wraith meet the Goa'uld either face to face or in battle, that would be pretty amazing.

Comment

Great enthusiasm, thekillman! =D
                    Thanks. But yea my point is, countries went to war (either a literal or a cold one) for less. Unless someone drops an Idiot Ball on the entire IOA, all their advisers and the entire Homeworld Command, they would most definitely send a follow-up mission.

It would take time for the Wraith to band together in such a way, but I definitely think that they would.
                    It's pretty much a given. The wraith population has already been decimated by war, while the immunity is no longer spreading. A new population equilibrium has got to be reached soon. Then, in stead of facing a handful of Hives, we get the full might of the Wraith fleet. We've already seen some crazy powerful technologies and even an abandoned Cityship in Pegasus. Next time, the Wraith can get their hands on it and give us a run for our money. There's plenty of tech left to turn the Wraith into their former selves again. Those former selves brought down the Ancients.

In terms of a Season 6 though, would it really be Stargate Atlantis if it didn't take place in Pegasus?
                    Nope. I think SGA to most viewers is the SGA-1 team fighting from atlantis (it's in the title) in pegasus. I think it would be cool to have a season on the Tria, but i think it would hopelessly confuse existing and new viewers.

Comment

And with that cityship in the tower now no longer protecting the locals, the wraith have unfettered access to it.

Comment

For some reason, this comes to mind...

Spoiler:
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                          And with that cityship in the tower now no longer protecting the locals, the wraith have unfettered access to it.
                          Well, it's one we found. For all we know there could be more cityships. Or more Aurora's. Or anything else that may give the Wraith what they need.

Once they have intergalactic hyperdrives there's no need to have the coordinates. They can just build a fleet of Worldships and send them to every nearby galaxy to either seed it with Wraith Life or stumble across the Milky way. They need less than a hundred of such ships to cover the entire Local Group.

For some reason, this comes to mind...
                          Such brilliant films

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            Well, it's one we found. For all we know there could be more cityships. Or more Aurora's. Or anything else that may give the Wraith what they need.
                            That's true, the Tower could have only been ONE of others out there.

Comment

I've always loved the idea of seeing two city-ships going head to head. Maybe some remaining Ancients who dislike the idea of their 'offspring', as it were, having control over Atlantis instead of them? I'd love to see a Dark!Ancients storyline, since the Ori were a big let down to me.

There's also the Asuran battlecruiser from Ghost In the Machine still unaccounted for. Weir's group of Asurans used it as their base of operations and it was left on an uninhabited planet when they tried to achieve Ascension. If the Wraith found it it could mean a serious tip of the scales in their favour, and be a good foil to the Tria should the Tau'ri ever make use of that ship.

Comment

I've always loved the idea of seeing two city-ships going head to head. Maybe some remaining Ancients who dislike the idea of their 'offspring', as it were, having control over Atlantis instead of them? I'd love to see a Dark!Ancients storyline, since the Ori were a big let down to me.
                                I honestly suffer from Ancients fatigue. "ancients did it" basically became a standard plot machine. I think we can have dozens of other sources of cool conflict before we see Ancients again.

There's also the Asuran battlecruiser from Ghost In the Machine still unaccounted for. Weir's group of Asurans used it as their base of operations and it was left on an uninhabited planet when they tried to achieve Ascension. If the Wraith found it it could mean a serious tip of the scales in their favour, and be a good foil to the Tria should the Tau'ri ever make use of that ship.
                                True. The Wraith's weakness was power apparently (which seems a retcon), but there should be so many sources of Ancient technology. Previously there was no reason to: before the SGA teams the Wraith were comfortably living the life in their hibernation system. But now, the Wraith actually have pressure to act. The risk of getting Ancient technology is now worth it more than ever.

Lastly, it bothered me that the Tria wasn't used. It was damaged, sure but it was operational enough. It pretty much only needed an Asgard Hyperdrive substitute. Although, for all we know the Apollo or Daedalus already towed it on a standard resupply mission and it's being deconstructed as we speak at Area 51 to figure out every secret. I mean, last time they really needed the Orion and it got destroyed before they got any use out of it. This time, they don't really *need* the Tria. The APBW's are giving earth the Firepower it missed previously. So, putting it down and taking it apart could be invaluable compared to just flying it around.

Comment

Working...
                                X