This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4th anniversary of the series finale of SGU

In just 2 days, on May 9, 2015, the 70th anniversary of the Victory in Europe and the Liberation of Prague, all of us here in GW mark not just the 4th anniversary of the series finale of Stargate Universe and the end of Stargate in television, but also the anniversary of the very day the GW Forum had its most number of users.

When Stargate opened its doors on television none of us expected that it would reach the heights to where it is now. Within a span of 13 years and 10 months, the legend grew from vision to vision, and from strength to strength, with a growing number of supporters and admirers all over the globe. Till it ended on May 9, 2011, on a very day the fandom will never ever forget, the Stargate franchise on TV was indeed unforgettable.

All of us, old and new members alike, will never ever forget the final scenes of SGU on that very night that GW hit the most number of users. As the curtain began to be dropped, the campaign by fans of the franchise on Facebook began to hit momentum, and in the months and years that followed those loyal fans faced attacks on them by the network leadership, and their accounts on FB were removed and blocked, but they stood strong.

This Saturday, we reflect on this final episode that marked the end of Stargate on television, recalling the best moments, and with great humility remembering these great years that will be forever part of television history. Because all of us here in GW were and are indeed, a part of this legacy. A legacy that will one day return to the movies and on television, and is calling us back today.. to see and feel where the Destiny is heading. Next.

And that legacy is calling us back again to the great Cheyenne Mountain in Colorado Springs, for as the US Air Force is now getting ready to go back in the midst of the resurgence of tensions similar to those seen in the Cold War, may we too, one day, hope to see the Gate on our television screens, opening itself and being reactivated... once again.

SGU may have been disappointing but man was it depressing. NBC really screwed the pooch when it came to care of the Stargate franchise. Instead of supporting it's fans, it tried to make Stargate the most profitable franchise on the network...

Just imagine if there was a prime opportunity for Stargate to survive; that and prevent the arrival of wrastling.

However; there is no avoiding the eventual rut the writers drove themselves in. SGU could of been good if handled better but not only did it divide Stargate fans (by canceling Atlantis) but it also turned off most loyal Stargate fans by being too different and edgy. I was one of the ones turned off by it but SGU truly had potential by the end of it's Second Season.

If SGU had succeeded, it would of been the boom of Stargate but instead; it's a big what-if, what if the television series came back, what if the movies been made... Since Stargate is being rebooted then that eliminates all hope for any of the TV continuity coming back but we have all of this to watch and analyze. Which one is the best SG episode, which one is the best series, who's the best character in all of Stargate. And I thank GateWorld for existing.

This forum could of died off a long time ago, but it didn't; it just keeps on going like the energizer bunny thus showing there's still a place for Stargate.

So for those fans, I say keep the light on.
    Back from the grave.

Comment

Four years already, I sometimes wonder what it would have been like had SGU continued, would we be watching the end of the 6th season now? As much as I liked SGU I don't think it had the potential for the longevity SG-1 had with its format of visiting planet of the week and learning more, coupled with a good character/team dynamic. You can only do so much with this format, applying it to a space ship as base of operations is not much different. Trying to make really 'alien' aliens and worlds is inherently difficult as it's not easy to do things that are too far out of the viewers' point of reference. This is why I feel we ended up with the Novus story arc, and so many bug and plant induced hallucination episodes as it allowed 'humans' back into the mix that the characters on board Destiny would encounter and would deal with subject matter viewers can relate to.

SGA was the Stargate series that I didn't get into, it was missing the awe of exploration and mystery that drew me into SG-1. I thought it was brought back with SGU, whilst different it still had that potential of discovery with that mysterious ship Destiny. For me however it did end up with the same kind of stories in a different setting, but with dysfunctional characters. I guess that was the thing that put many off, and I can see why, SG-1 or SGA it was not!

Having said that, what we did get I really enjoyed, the dysfunctional characters gave us some great moments. Four years later I'm enjoying reminiscing on Gateworld and I'm glad that the forum is still active with discussion about a great franchise. I too hope Stargate comes back, there are certainly a lot more stories to tell about what is on the other side of that gate!

Comment

Agreed. I can't believe it has already been 4 years since the end of our beloved Star gate...

Comment

Originally posted by John Emmanuel Ramos View Post
          All of us, old and new members alike, will never ever forget the final scenes of SGU on that very night that GW hit the most number of users.
          Yeah... Er, I haven't watched SGU. I'll force myself to after my Atlantis re-watch, but eh...

I'm sad that the TV franchise has come to an end. I had kind of assumed it would end soon after SGU first aired, so checking in on the state of the show a bit later and finding out that it had, indeed, been cancelled was not surprising.

I'm more disappointed in the lack of movies and the opportunity for the franchise as a whole to continue. That would have been the good thing about SGU staying on air.

As it is, I'm happy that this forum exists and that fans still like to discuss the show and the franchise's many aspects. I know it's not as active as I remember, but at least this space still exists for those of us still interested.
          rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

It's such a shame. I loved SGU to bits. Yeah, it was slow and some of the characters were boring, but the central concept(the hunt for the background radiation message) was unique and of course any show with Robert Carlyle as an ambigous anti-hero is immediately worthy.
            "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Boy so much has happened in life since the end of SGU, but the bitterness of it's cancellation is still fresh. So much untapped potential, the network squandered an amazing opportunity when they let that go. Sure it's a cable show, so it's ratings are going to be lower than network television, but they had a real opportunity to make it great and breath new life into the Stargate franchise.

It makes me wonder how the franchise would be now, if it were handled by AMC. Obviously they know what they're doing when it comes to creating great shows. They've had at least three or four wildly successful series in the past five years.

It would be pretty cool if MGM either sold off the rights to the television franchise or entered a joint deal with AMC. It might be the revival we always hoped SGU would be.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet Fraiser View Post
                Yeah... Er, I haven't watched SGU. I'll force myself to after my Atlantis re-watch, but eh...

I'm sad that the TV franchise has come to an end. I had kind of assumed it would end soon after SGU first aired, so checking in on the state of the show a bit later and finding out that it had, indeed, been cancelled was not surprising.

I'm more disappointed in the lack of movies and the opportunity for the franchise as a whole to continue. That would have been the good thing about SGU staying on air.

As it is, I'm happy that this forum exists and that fans still like to discuss the show and the franchise's many aspects. I know it's not as active as I remember, but at least this space still exists for those of us still interested.
                I'm always interested to hear about what people who have never seen SGU think, some fresh perspective on the show is always good, and why it's a hit with them or not. I hope you approach it with an open mind, I did the same with SGA with the GW rewatch as I'd given up on it 3 episodes into season 2 when it first aired. I'd only seen other episodes in other seasons that looked interesting from the description on the DVD's I bought with a view to eventually getting myself to watch it, but I'd never seen it in its entirety before the GW rewatch. One of my top 5 favourite Stargate episodes turned out to be from SGA, so you never know how it goes!

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                It's such a shame. I loved SGU to bits. Yeah, it was slow and some of the characters were boring, but the central concept(the hunt for the background radiation message) was unique and of course any show with Robert Carlyle as an ambigous anti-hero is immediately worthy.
                It was that central concept that made me dubious about how it would have been approached had SGU continued, and in some ways what we got and not getting the answer was a relief in a way, it finished on a 'I wonder' note. I always had this feeling that it would be disappointing, ending up like Star Trek V: The Final Frontier; which had the same idea of some unfathomable mysterious force at the other end of the universe, and look how that turned out!!!

Oh yes, Robert Carlyle is a joy to watch and his sparring with the flawed unpredictable character of Colonel Young, who turned out to be my favourite character makes for some interesting moments. Also, SGU is worth watching for some of the most spectacular visual effects Stargate had to offer!

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                  I'm always interested to hear about what people who have never seen SGU think, some fresh perspective on the show is always good, and why it's a hit with them or not. I hope you approach it with an open mind, I did the same with SGA with the GW rewatch as I'd given up on it 3 episodes into season 2 when it first aired. I'd only seen other episodes in other seasons that looked interesting from the description on the DVD's I bought with a view to eventually getting myself to watch it, but I'd never seen it in its entirety before the GW rewatch. One of my top 5 favourite Stargate episodes turned out to be from SGA, so you never know how it goes!
                  Yeah, I think that by the time I'm done with SGA, there will be a Stargate-shaped hole in my heart that I'll need to fill somehow, so I'll watch SGU with a more open mind than before. It helps that I've heard the second season is better than the first. I know that my perspective on SG-1 has definitely changed since I first watched it about a decade ago, so hopefully I'll see SGU in a different, more positive light as well.
                  rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

Originally posted by Janet Fraiser View Post
                    Yeah, I think that by the time I'm done with SGA, there will be a Stargate-shaped hole in my heart that I'll need to fill somehow, so I'll watch SGU with a more open mind than before. It helps that I've heard the second season is better than the first. I know that my perspective on SG-1 has definitely changed since I first watched it about a decade ago, so hopefully I'll see SGU in a different, more positive light as well.
                    Strangely enough, on rewatching SGU a few times I've found myself appreciating season 1 a lot more. Season 2 does have some great moments, be interesting to see which catch your attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                      Strangely enough, on rewatching SGU a few times I've found myself appreciating season 1 a lot more. Season 2 does have some great moments, be interesting to see which catch your attention.
                      Ah, I remember the days when I played a sort of Young character reviewing SGU; one who was stern and didn't really appreciate what SGU was doing. Krisz played Rush who was excited about all the new possibilities and was devoted to SGU's mission.

I don't know if we both have public flaws but then again; GateWorld isn't exactly the place for negativity, it's a place for positivity.
                      Back from the grave.

Comment

Originally posted by ZRFTS View Post
                        Ah, I remember the days when I played a sort of Young character reviewing SGU; one who was stern and didn't really appreciate what SGU was doing. Krisz played Rush who was excited about all the new possibilities and was devoted to SGU's mission.

I don't know if we both have public flaws but then again; GateWorld isn't exactly the place for negativity, it's a place for positivity.
                        .....that's me I guess! We are only human (and passionate Stargate fans) and that's what makes Gateworld what it is!

Unlike Rush though I do understand 'Young's' view and hope will not want to 'kill' me! I'm more a Daniel Jackson when it comes to dealing with opposing views, I want everyone to get along!

Comment

Originally posted by Aesop View Post
                          It makes me wonder how the franchise would be now, if it were handled by AMC. Obviously they know what they're doing when it comes to creating great shows. They've had at least three or four wildly successful series in the past five years.

It would be pretty cool if MGM either sold off the rights to the television franchise or entered a joint deal with AMC. It might be the revival we always hoped SGU would be.
                          Not so sure about a Stargate produced by AMC. On many shows, canceled or successful, its serialized and the narrative is painstakingly slow, its great for dramas but not for adventure. Not good for SG1/A or SGU for that matter.

Can you imagine SG1 on AMC? it would've take an entire season just to cover an episode. I love their shows, i even liked Rubicon, but every concept/idea takes an eternity to flesh out. The Walking Dead has five seasons under its belt but only a year and a half has gone by in their "reality". Continuity is great but an adventure needs to move forward at a decent pace, it needs action.

Comment

i wish we could use the Stargate Worlds emulator to bring Stargate back in some fort at least :/

Comment

just checked into the forum, haven't been here in a long time. I used to post here every day! Hard to believe its four years since the final episode of stargate. Id love to see any form of stargate back on tv but the pessimist in me is very doubtful. I thought Netflix would have been great opportunity but alas they don't seem interested. Perhaps if Netflix had of been around 4 years ago they could have picked the show up..

Comment

Working...
                              X