Pondering on Apophis' attack on Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pondering on Apophis' attack on Earth

I have been pondering this for a while. It is connected with "There But for the Grace of God", "Politics (Part 1 of 3)", "Within the Serpent's Grasp (Part 2 of 3)", "The Serpent's Lair (Part 3 of 3)" and to a lesser degree with "Thor's Chariot".

This is what we (and probably also SG-1) have learned at the time of "Within the Serpent's Grasp (Part 2 of 3)".

Facts:
    (1) "There But for the Grace of God", "Politics (Part 1 of 3)", "Within the Serpent's Grasp (Part 2 of 3)", "The Serpent's Lair (Part 3 of 3)" and "Children of the Gods" happen in the same calendar year (let us go with 1997).

(2) In the alternate universe without Daniel and the Chulak mission, Aphopis attacked Earth 5 days ago.

(3) Teal'c says that Ha'taks travel at 10c (10 ly/y).

(4) Daniel expects the travel to take over a year.

(5) Daniel supposes that the reason for the attack is Ra's death.

(6) P5C-629 lies on the imaginary line between Earth and Aphopis' base/ship (3-32-16-8-10-12).

Conclusions:
    (A) How can (5) be true, if (1) and (4) are, after all a year ago nobody even heard of (current) Earth.

(B) Did noboy wonder about (4) or (3) due to (2)? I my self have not realized it up till now, but (2) happened then the speed of a Ha'tak is significantly higher. Or what did they expect, (2) clearly shows that the Ha'taks are already on Earth's doorstep. From that point it would seem that they just wanted to escape the invasion, after all the ships should have been long on their way to Earth.

(C) Can (6) be false? After all the gate was destroyed together with the ship. So the planet lack a stargate and can no longer be used as a forwarding base. Does it mean that P5C-629 is is on the line between Aphopis' region of space and Earth. After all I suppose that Aphopis' base/ship (3-32-16-8-10-12) originally belonged to Ra.

(D) Using (3) and (4), I expect that Aphopis' base/ship (3-32-16-8-10-12) lies in the range of 10-15 ly from Earth.

(E) Using (D) and (6) and my my meager understanding of astronomy there are some possibilities of identifying the stargate planets:
    Procyon < Luyten's*Star < UGPS 0722-05
    Luyten*726-8 < YZ*Ceti
    Where I guess that P5C-629 is Procyon (11.46 ly) and Aphopis' base/ship (3-32-16-8-10-12) is Luyten's*Star (12.2 ly).

Can anyone show me where I am missing something, a mistake or expand on my pondering?

#4 - Actually Sam is the one that says it would take about a year to get to earth.

Comment

A) Daniel doesn't know about #1 because that would take him out of the show and break the illusion for the viewers ...

I think that the Goa'uld have been aware of Earth for a long time... the Jaffa might not be, but the Goa'uld would probably have that knowledge...if knowledge is passed down...and Hathor was there and Seth fled and hid there...

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
      "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
      a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

^Daniel does not know what year it is?

I am talking about current Earth, of course they knew that Earth exists, but not that it is ripe for taking, or that it is responsible for Ra's death.

My point was that if they learned about the current state of Earth and of the events surrounding Ra's death in "Children of the Gods", there would not have been enough time (travel time of over a year vs time passed between "Children of the Gods" and "There But for the Grace of God"/"Within the Serpent's Grasp") to launch the invasion.

Comment

Apparently the Goa'uld upgraded their hyperdrive engines after Teal'c changed sides:

CARTER: Earth.

JACKSON: I thought you said we couldn't be there for at least a year.

CARTER: I guess this ship can go way faster then 10 times the speed of light. Colonel, we saw the Death gliders. They're preparing for launch, sir.
          From that point on all hyperspace capable Goa'uld ships were shown to travel faster than 10 times the speed of light.

Comment

Originally posted by Hando View Post
            ^Daniel does not know what year it is?

I am talking about current Earth, of course they knew that Earth exists, but not that it is ripe for taking, or that it is responsible for Ra's death.

My point was that if they learned about the current state of Earth and of the events surrounding Ra's death in "Children of the Gods", there would not have been enough time (travel time of over a year vs time passed between "Children of the Gods" and "There But for the Grace of God"/"Within the Serpent's Grasp") to launch the invasion.
            Daniel doesn't know that those episodes all occured in the same year.

IF they didn't know...but there is a reason that Apophis came through the Stargate...unless they go through cycles of testing all the Stargate addresses that haven't worked in the past (because of buried gate or something else), there has to be a reason Apophis tried to come through in COTG. I assume he knows something about something because Earth and Abydos belonged to Re, so if he didn't know Re was dead then he was looking for a fight.

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
            "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
            a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
              Apparently the Goa'uld upgraded their hyperdrive engines after Teal'c changed sides:

From that point on all hyperspace capable Goa'uld ships were shown to travel faster than 10 times the speed of light.
              Yes, it appears that (3) is the incorrect "fact". Somewhere in S1 the Goa'uld started to upgrade their hyperdrives to much faster ones.

Comment

Yes WE know that they upgraded their drives, we have seen the evidence in "Within the Serpent's Grasp".

But the behavior of SG-1 and the actual Aphophis' attack in the alternative universe, should have already be evidence enough that the Goa'uld posses faster drives.

I used the facts (1) - (5) to show what SGC/SG-1 knew at the time. And from these facts showed that some have to be false.
                We learned that it was (3) and (4), but I repeat the point is that they should have expected them to be false.

And I do not understand why you have a problem with Daniel knowing the year or that the events happen in the same year. I know that they happen in the same year:
                KINSEY
                On February 10 of this year, you along with a team lead by Major Charles Kawalsky went through the Stargate on a reconnaissance mission—
                And Daniel keeps a journal, it is quite likely that he also has to write reports, so you are telling me he does not know what year it is?

So I repeat again, if the facts had remained unchanged, the SG-1 in "Within the Serpent's Grasp" should have arrived at the base and should have found out that the invasion force has left a long time ago and Earth is doomed.
                Or someone should have risen an objection that something cannot be true, why did not Kinsey say that the Goa'uld are too slow to have attacked AU Earth 5 days ago. Why did Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c still hold to the idea that Ha'taks travel only at 10c?

Comment

It's an alternate reality; when the Goa'uld attack in that reality is not necessarily going to be around the same time when they attack in Daniel's reality and Daniel said that killing Ra TWO years ago is what started in motion the chain of events that led to Aphophis' attack on Earth:

JACKSON: "Nor do I, Senator, and I am telling you, when we killed Ra two years ago, we set in a motion a chain of events that WILL that will eventually lead to an all out attack, on Earth, by the Goa'ulds!"
                  For all they knew, the differences could have led to Apophis launching an attack not a year after he first gated to Earth in their timeline but around the time that he gated to Earth.
                  Last edited by Xaeden; 04 May 2015, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Why would Kinsey have any understanding of why the goa'uld are too slow to have attacked the AU earth 5 days ago? He's not a scientist. He also only has the information Daniel provided about the AU earth, and I doubt Daniel went into that much detail about his experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Hando View Post
                      Yes WE know that they upgraded their drives, we have seen the evidence in "Within the Serpent's Grasp".

But the behavior of SG-1 and the actual Aphophis' attack in the alternative universe, should have already be evidence enough that the Goa'uld posses faster drives.
                      That may have been one of the differences in the AU.

Comment

Working...
                      X