Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions regarding Canon and Word of God as pertaining to mothballed "Extinction"

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions regarding Canon and Word of God as pertaining to mothballed "Extinction"

The movie extinction is apparently in Development Hell. See http://www.gateworld.net/movies/05.shtml. It states that Atlantis goes to the moon, and thence back to Pegasus.

But is this Canon? My reason for asking is I started a Stargate SG-1 reboot novel several years ago, let it drop until now due to other stuff, and now am thinking of continuing work on it. The story involves the SG1 team (minus Mala), and opens with them on Atlantis, the morning after a celebratory party, when they are introduced to a mystery right here on Earth: another possible goa'uld infiltrator. So, as you can see, WHERE Atlantis is is rather important.

When does Word of God become actualized, and become Canon?

Additional question: does Atlantis leaving Earth make any sense? As Carter says in one scene of my book: "The meteor strike excuse is getting a little old, but still has some mileage left on it. But having Atlantis take off? Uh, meteors don't go UP." Seems to me that it might make a MUCH more interesting story if Atlantis is stuck on Earth and SGC and HWS have to jump through hoops keeping it a secret.

It isn't canon since it was never shown due to it being dead and mostly buried. So, you can do whatever you like with your story. Anything past the last episode of SGA is speculation anyways.

According to the PTW the script exists. The premise is there but it never came to fruitation, so whatever you would like to do with Atlantis. Go for it. Carter does have a good point about meteors not going up.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      It isn't canon since it was never shown due to it being dead and mostly buried. So, you can do whatever you like with your story. Anything past the last episode of SGA is speculation anyways.

According to the PTW the script exists. The premise is there but it never came to fruitation, so whatever you would like to do with Atlantis. Go for it. Carter does have a good point about meteors not going up.

Good to know. Aside from the people on this site, do you think there still significant interest in the whole Stargate concept? Assuming that it isn't total c**p, do you think that a Stargate novel would do well?

Comment

Originally posted by Goa'uld - lover View Post
        Good to know. Aside from the people on this site, do you think there still significant interest in the whole Stargate concept? Assuming that it isn't total c**p, do you think that a Stargate novel would do well?
        As a member of a group which replicates sets from Star Wars and Stargate, I can positively say that yes there is still interest in the show. Our lovely gate always has lots of success at conventions.

And I think a novel could indeed be succesful if it was written well. But that's a thing which is different for every person. Nevertheless, look at the amount of fanfic out there. Even the virtual series which have been written. I'd say, it's worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Goa'uld - lover View Post
          Are you considering writing a novel for publication and profit? If so, you have to get permission from MGM to do that, since Stargate is their property.

There are plenty of authorized novels available which have done well over the years and are continuing to do so. There is a series of books about Atlantis going back to Pegasus (The Legacy series, of which there are 8 novels so far). Those are authorized by MGM, and published by StargateNovels.com.

If I remember correctly, Atlantis left earth because all the countries on earth were squabbling about who would be in control of it, and none of them could agree on where it would be located. And to have one nation be in control of it would have been intolerable to other countries, given the massive advantage in weapons that country would have over the rest of earth, even if there was no intention to use that control.

As to the fandom, there are numerous sites on Facebook dedicated to Stargate, and probably others that are not on Facebook or GW or Twitter.

Comment

Bear in mind just because MGM authorizes it doesn't make in canon
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              That's my boy. *pats*

Comment

Why not? Are tehy not the owners of the SG franchize?

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                  Why not? Are tehy not the owners of the SG franchize?
                  Extended universe rarely counts as canon.

Besides, what is canon to Jelgate, I think, is what is shown on tv by the creators. Not what some lucky fanfic writer got to write in a novel (and managed to turn an entire race of lifesucking creatures into the laughing stock of the community).

Comment

That's my boy. *pats*
                    Where is my bacon treat?

Besides, what is canon to Jelgate, I think, is what is shown on tv by the creators. Not what some lucky fanfic writer got to write in a novel (and managed to turn an entire race of lifesucking creatures into the laughing stock of the community).
                    Not just me. Its the definition.
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Where is my bacon treat?
                      Here you go:

Spoiler:

Comment

What, you don't think making the Wraith cat loving hippies was an improvement? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you

Comment

Originally posted by Arica15 View Post
                          What, you don't think making the Wraith cat loving hippies was an improvement? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you
                          I'm thinking of photoshopping a hippie-wraith and that's so wrong on so many levels.

Comment

I'm curious: who and what made the Wraith the 'laughing stock of the community'? Does it have something to do with the Legacy series of novels?

Comment

[/QUOTE=Super Hive;14353210]I'm curious: who and what made the Wraith the 'laughing stock of the community'? Does it have something to do with the Legacy series of novels?[/QUOTE]

Let's just say there are two schools of thought on the Legacy novels, one thinks they are brilliant.....shall we say that the other one does not like the direction the authors have taken the story and in particular the portrayal of the wraith and wraith culture.

I've read all the books and to be honest I'm on the fence over this one, I quite enjoyed the stories on a superficial level however I have to agree that the wraith are bordering on the ridiculous in some of the books. And the silly flower child names they have been given does not do much for me (we even get a wraith child called 'Darling' ! ), though to be honest I think the novels greater problems are in how they portray the human characters.

Comment

Working...
                              X