Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing Stargate to someone

Hi everyone
    I'm new in the forum and I wanted to ask you some advice. Both my boyfriend and I like science fiction, but he hasn't watched Stargate yet and I haven't watched Star Wars yet (yeah, I know, don't kill me ), so we made a deal: we're gonna watch the Star Wars movies and a couple of Stargate episodes together. So I've been thinking, which episodes do you think I should show him? I've watched all SG1, SGA and SGU but only once, so I don't remember all the episodes. Of course I don't wanna spoil the story for him in case he decides to watch the whole series someday, so I thought I could choose some mindblowing episodes that add nothing or little to the main stories. This is what I've got so far:
    - The movie (naturally).
    - SG1, S1: Children of the Gods maybe? To introduce the characters in the TV show.
    - SG1, S2: A matter of time, 1969.
    - SG1, S3: Point of view.
    - SG1, S4: Window of opportunity.
    These are just some ideas, I don't think it's necessary to show him one episode per season. However, I do want to come up with a list that reflects Stargate's main features: a re-interpretation of some myths, a bit of humour, a bit of time-travel, a bit of alternate realities, a bit of blowing up suns and solar systems...
    Any suggestion will be most welcome. Thanks for your time

Season 9 Ripple Effect is a good story that doesn't really ruin the main story.

Comment

"Window of Opportunity" is my fav but do keep in mind that many episodes are standalones. "Window of Opportunity" is the episode that has it all; sci-fi, fanservice and plot.
      Back from the grave.

Comment

if your going to bring someone into stargate then you need to have that person watch all the episodes. there's a lot of gaps in knowing things if you skip episodes. and lost city is one big episode that if you watch all the episodes you understand what it took to beat anubis. thats what i would do.

Comment

Originally posted by big will View Post
          if your going to bring someone into stargate then you need to have that person watch all the episodes. there's a lot of gaps in knowing things if you skip episodes. and lost city is one big episode that if you watch all the episodes you understand what it took to beat anubis. thats what i would do.
          Right, but you need an episode to draw them in. They may see "Emancipation" and turn away pretty easily.
          Back from the grave.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombies Rise from the Sea View Post
            Right, but you need an episode to draw them in. They may see "Emancipation" and turn away pretty easily.
            Hahaha true.

I know it would be better for him to just start watching the whole series but he already has a long list of shows he wants to watch, and Stargate has 17 seasons... A couple of episodes are better than nothing

Comment

I would suggest the few episodes at the end of S1 that lead up to Apophis attacking Earth
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

I think if you're going to watch all the Star Wars movies, you can watch more than five or six episodes since they're shorter. I think that if you just watched season one in order, by the middle or close to the end he'll know if he wants to continue or not.

I just have a thing about watching and reading things in order; for me that is the best way to experience a story, even if some episodes can be considered standalone. You see the relationships developing and the ways the show improves as it continues, and it's just the way the show is presented.

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                Season 9 Ripple Effect is a good story that doesn't really ruin the main story.
                Well, it does reveal the death of a certain favorite character of mine. ;-;

Comment

It wouldn't make sense to start someone on something and not watch it all.

If they don't like it showing them one "cool" episode isn't going to suck them in.

The movie, then the show it's pretty linear, if they don't like the movie they probably won't like the show, for the most part the movie has all the themes that every mission has on SG-1.

The cast difference is common for soap operas,other movie to tv shows, or when they replace someone with another actor from a pilot or early episode.

Comment

Working...
                  X