Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Abydos: What's the distance from it to Earth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abydos: What's the distance from it to Earth?

What's the distance from Abydos to Earth in the movie?

For the TV show did they change the distance?

Also how long would the trip take to get there by the Stargate or is there no sense of time?

I'm wondering why there is a limit to how far you can go considering that it's a wormhole and that should connect any point from A to B if there's another gate at the destination? Or do some destinations need more power to maintain the wormhole?
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
    What's the distance from Abydos to Earth in the movie?

For the TV show did they change the distance?

Also how long would the trip take to get there by the Stargate or is there no sense of time?

I'm wondering why there is a limit to how far you can go considering that it's a wormhole and that should connect any point from A to B if there's another gate at the destination? Or do some destinations need more power to maintain the wormhole?
    Yes, the movie and TV had it in different locations. In the movie, it was in another galaxy, while in the show it was in this one.

The power required to establish and maintain the wormhole is greater due to the distance involved. Not much of a factor within a galaxy, but it is a factor between galaxies.

Comment

Abydos is said to be the closets Stargated world to Earth, no assuming that P4X-351 had no Stargate until Icarus Base was built, Abydos would be withing 2,000 light years (As Chulak is 2,000 light years away). If P4X-351 did have a Stargate, then it would be less than 21.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
        Abydos is said to be the closets Stargated world to Earth, no assuming that P4X-351 had no Stargate until Icarus Base was built, Abydos would be withing 2,000 light years (As Chulak is 2,000 light years away). If P4X-351 did have a Stargate, then it would be less than 21.

Oh wow then the Movie gate was more powerful........

How many light years was movie Abydos?

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
          Oh wow then the Movie gate was more powerful........

How many light years was movie Abydos?
          In the movie they said the MALP arrived in the "Kalium galaxy" or "Kaliem galaxy" which was supposedly on the other side of the known universe. I'm not sure but I think at some point it was retconned to establish that the telemetry equipment they were using at the time of the first connection was distorted by the wormhole and gave a false reading. Or something along those lines. Otherwise it would've contradicted the necessitation of the eighth chevron for intergalactic travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Aesop View Post
            In the movie they said the MALP arrived in the "Kalium galaxy" or "Kaliem galaxy" which was supposedly on the other side of the known universe. I'm not sure but I think at some point it was retconned to establish that the telemetry equipment they were using at the time of the first connection was distorted by the wormhole and gave a false reading. Or something along those lines. Otherwise it would've contradicted the necessitation of the eighth chevron for intergalactic travel.

Yes but that is just retconning to fit it into the TV show....

I put movie and TV show into separate boxes........ Just the movie gate was more powerful and that is where it shall stay

Comment

Well unless you're Emmerich and Devlin, the TV series and movie are part of the same continuity, the gate from the latter is the same one from the former. So one isn't less powerful than the other, the instrumentation in 1994 was just less accurate than in 1997, and even then it wasn't great (since as we know gate travel was still rough until Carter corrected for stellar drift).

Comment

"It's leaving our galaxy" was a quote from the original Stargate movie when they were tracking the wormhole. So apparently it wasn't just in the neighborhood. Which doesn't make sense because the TV shows say the reason they were able to make a connection to Abydos was because it was so close, the stellar drift was minimal.

Comment

Originally posted by Aesop View Post
                  Well unless you're Emmerich and Devlin, the TV series and movie are part of the same continuity, the gate from the latter is the same one from the former. So one isn't less powerful than the other, the instrumentation in 1994 was just less accurate than in 1997, and even then it wasn't great (since as we know gate travel was still rough until Carter corrected for stellar drift).
                  I see them as parallel realities like the many other alternate worlds/histories e.g. in Mobius and Continuum. The new movie will be yet another.

The movie and series are clearly separate, gates travel intergalactically with 7 chevrons, Abydos is in a different place, Ra was an Asgard looking alien rather than s Goa'uld symbiote, Jack spelt his name with 1 L.

A very similar mission occurred in the series universe prior to SG-1, but we have never seen it on screen.

Close, but different.

Comment

They're separate if you want them to be separate. If you prefer a continuity between the film and TV show, the writers provided for that.

Comment

Working...
                    X