Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Sheppard is a Ancient

Hi

Every time I watch another round of Atlantis, I keep getting the feeling there is a hidden story line.
    John Sheppard is really a Ancient or at least HALF Ancient.
    He seems to always associate with Ascending/Ascended ancient women. (Epiphany / Sanctuary)
    He fits in so well with the Ancients (Aurora)
    I get the feeling he really is "not that different" to them. He just does it "naturally"(Rising)
    I always think he is either a secret ancient or ancient related person who retired to or was attracted to the ant-arctic outpost base.
    I think it would be cool if he was an ancient - his self sacrificing suicidal heroic actions have so much more powerful a meaning if he was semi aware or even "protected" by some sort of ancient connection.
    sigpic

He's just the Kirk of SGA, not that I blame him, its not like he gets involved with unattractive women because of their glowing personalities...

Comment

If anything, he has the ancient gene through inheriting it - just like Jack O'Neil, Carson Beckett, and others.

Comment

Actually I've read a story where all the Ancient gene is inherited from Jack that went back in time in "Moebius" in season 8.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
          If anything, he has the ancient gene through inheriting it - just like Jack O'Neil, Carson Beckett, and others.
          It seems like he has a stronger manifestation of the gene than anyone else who has it naturally in the Stargate program (except maybe Jack). I don't think he is an Ancient, but he's closer than most.

Comment

It's also worth noting that there's a lot more difference between humans and ancients than just the ATA gene. Having a stronger expression of the gene doesn't really make him any more ancienty1.

1: Go on. Say it's not a word. I dare you.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

What was said above^^ He just has a much stronger expression of the gene than the others except maybe Jack. This is inherited from the few Ancients that left Atlantis and gated back to earth and interbred with the more primitive human population at the time.

Comment

From what i could tell, John was human with a dominant ATA gene which is why he could use Ancient tech so easily. As for Jack i'm not sure how strong his gene is. It did take him a few moments to turn on the puddle jumper in 'It's Good To Be King,' and any other time he did something (using Britta's word here ) 'ancienty' he had the ancient repository downloaded into his mind.
                sigpic
                Sig by (x)

Comment

I don't think he's an ancient but if the writers had wanted to go there with his character, it wouldn't have been too much of a stretch. The earlier seasons Sheppard seems more in line with this theory than the later ones tho...
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
                    I don't think he's an ancient but if the writers had wanted to go there with his character, it wouldn't have been too much of a stretch. The earlier seasons Sheppard seems more in line with this theory than the later ones tho...
                    I agree it was more prevalent in the early seasons, and It would have been cool if they had taken it or his relationship with the ancients further. After all Pegasus was meant to be a discovery of the ancients not just the city and the technology. I heard Joe Flanigan wanted a darker Sheppard character , I like the idea of a more Ancienty Dignified Heroic character.
                    sigpic

Comment

Maybe he was an ancient who descended, so he could see his beloved Atlantis in the flesh..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                        Maybe he was an ancient who descended, so he could see his beloved Atlantis in the flesh..
                        Yes that is what I was thinking either subconsciously or directly hiding it. Maybe he had some suppressed memories.. it could tie in to explaining his fall out with his family as well..
                        Anyway his character is always so loyal to his friends and selfless it fits well with the Atlantis theme.
                        sigpic

Comment

I always thought the writers toyed with the notion then decided against it. The season one episode Home seemed to very much imply that Sheppard wasn't just a regular human but after season one the idea seemed to be dropped. Perhaps they were simply setting up a number of story lines they could choose to develop if they thought the show needed it and then they decided to go in another direction.

Personally I thought it would have helped the show as the central premise, the city of the ancients, seemed to get dropped very quickly and the show became somewhat directionless, particularly in the later seasons, a direct character connection to the ancients and therefore the city I think would have been useful for the show, as well as opening up a whole new direction of story lines.

Ah well, the things that might have been.......

Comment

Originally posted by Britta View Post
                            1: Go on. Say it's not a word. I dare you.
                            It is now.
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
                              It seems like he has a stronger manifestation of the gene than anyone else who has it naturally in the Stargate program (except maybe Jack). I don't think he is an Ancient, but he's closer than most.
                              Hence the high iq

Comment

Working...
                              X