What happened to the puddles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to the puddles?

What happened to the Stargate's event horizon effect in the later seasons of Atlantis? Did they change VFX studios? Did they really try and cheap out to save money? Or did they actually think that the newer puddles were an improvement? Compare these two screenshots, the first from Rising and the second from Enemy at the Gate:

http://dna-iq.com/s1puddle.jpg
    http://dna-iq.com/s5puddle.jpg

Does anyone think the latter looks better than the former?

They look pretty much the same to me, aside from the fact that they're shots of two different types of gates (Pegasus gate and Milky Way gate) which are in two different buildings. But I'm not a VFX expert, I'm just a viewer with an opinion
    sigpic

Comment

I know that Rainmaker stopped (or had a diminished role) with Atlantis in season 5 and Deluxe Vancouver took over post production. The digital effects groups working on each episode varied (depending I guess on the type of visual effects needed) such as Atmosphere Visual Effects who do planetary sequences etc. Each group would do things differently to one another, so there is a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
        I know that Rainmaker stopped (or had a diminished role) with Atlantis in season 5 and Deluxe Vancouver took over post production. The digital effects groups working on each episode varied (depending I guess on the type of visual effects needed) such as Atmosphere Visual Effects who do planetary sequences etc. Each group would do things differently to one another, so there is a difference.
        Any idea what happened to Rainmaker?

Comment

Originally posted by chris474 View Post
          Does anyone think the latter looks better than the former?
          There is indeed a difference between both effects. However, do keep in mind that technology evolves at an incredible rate. Computers grow stronger, programs get more sophisticater and cooler things can be done in less time.

So, it would be logical that the latter could potentially look better, or feel better, than the older one.

Originally posted by chris474 View Post
          Any idea what happened to Rainmaker?
          Deluxe bought part of it - see article from 2007.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Almost the same after my opinion but the v3.0 version of the gate are more advanced...they might have done it on purpose
            sigpic

Dr.Rodney McKay: Their operating system is a mess, thank goodness I remember DOS

Hallowed are the Ori

Stargate Space Simulator- http://marcusdamli.wix.com/stargate-eternity

Comment

What I miss is the really cool vortex that explodes out from the back of the Stargate like in the first movie, on the very first activation event.
              sigpic

Comment

Even more expensive shots to add to the SFX-budget... which could obviously be used elsewhere.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                X