Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why all the hate for the advanced races?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why all the hate for the advanced races?

I can't help but notice people seem pretty bitter that the advanced races like the Tollan, Tok'ra, or Asgard refused to share technology with Earth and called us young. I always understood their sentiment. Why all the hate for the races looking down on us?

sigpic
    Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Well personally i loved the Tok'ra and the Asgard and i think they are mostly popular with fans. Not giving tech over is probably as you said the reason they are unpopular with some people, the average viewer identifies with the protagonists in any tv show strongly and can end up disliking any who oppose them no matter the reason.
    sigpic
    The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
      I can't help but notice people seem pretty bitter that the advanced races like the Tollan, Tok'ra, or Asgard refused to share technology with Earth and called us young. I always understood their sentiment. Why all the hate for the races looking down on us?
      IMO its the same reason we wanted so much, to push OUR way of life and morals onto everyone else. Humanism.
      WE are the center of everything, and so anyone who doesn't recognize that must be wrong.

Comment

Because of one of the biggest flaws of Stargate: the fact that we were almost always right.

The advanced races came across as self-centered, arrogant and cold people (even the asgard to some degree). This prevented what they needed to truly shine: a good reason and an emotional performance to explain why.

Take the tollan. How would those episodes have changed if the Tollan leader emotionally told them that they sent 5 billion humans to their death by aiding them, and that they want to protect earth by not helping. That many still can't sleep at the sight of the first explosions, that it had an impact? in stead it's a few lines said about that planet and it's all over.

Comment

I can't help but notice people seem pretty bitter that the advanced races like the Tollan, Tok'ra, or Asgard refused to share technology with Earth and called us young.
          I don't get why that would be a reason to hate the advanced races, especially since Earth isn't sharing with "younger" races either.

It's the kettle calling the pot black... or however that saying goes.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

That's not really true though. We did share tech and medical stuff with many 'younger races'.. Just not military stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
              Just not military stuff.
              Thus not sharing...
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

So sharing medical supplies/knowledge, food and other stuff, doesn't count? Its only sharing if we give over military gear?

Comment

I'd say it's more like disappointment. But their reasons for not sharing tech has been mentioned.
                  Total syffy posts: 36,690
                  (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
                  Matthew 5:9

Comment

I have nothing against the advanced races, they are just protecting their own interests like everyone else.

I felt though, that the NID should have been utilized more effectively, in order to gain access to advanced technology, so that it could be reverse engineered. Then, earth wouldn't have to wait on charity, on the part of the so called advanced species, in order to survive a hostile universe.

Had the writers been more realistic, the Forge of God scenario would have played out in season one.

Comment

Originally posted by The Shrike View Post
                      I felt though, that the NID should have been utilized more effectively,
                      How?

Had the writers been more realistic, the Forge of God scenario would have played out in season one.
                      And what scenario is that?

Not criticizing, just curious

Comment

I felt though, that the NID should have been utilized more effectively, in order to gain access to advanced technology, so that it could be reverse engineered. Then, earth wouldn't have to wait on charity, on the part of the so called advanced species, in order to survive a hostile universe.
                        So the show becomes a "you will give us tech, OR we will just steal it"..
                        Then how would we be better than the Gou'ald?

Comment

I thought the way the advanced races treated Earth was pretty fair really. The Asgard and Tollan took their time with seeing what this young race would do. I feel they were right in not sharing technology as such, but they did work with them and accepted the 'different' way the people of Earth approached a problem which helped both races when they needed it. I would have thought this recognition of Earth's abilities when it came to facing situations is of more value than the tech itself.

As Jack said...."We don't need their stuff Makepeace. We do need them."

The advanced races have all learnt by trial and error too as we've seen. They now wisely avoid falling into the trap of sharing their technology with less advanced races who clearly can't deal with it. Each race should advance at their own rate and Earth was learning quickly and should be allowed to make their own mistakes in order to learn. The advanced races wouldn't want to really help them along to make more catastrophic mistakes.

In the end the recognition paid off when the Asgard bequeathed their knowledge to the safe keeping of the Fifth Race. They learned enough to see that Earth would take their time learning about what was in the Asgard database. They would evolve and reach the stages where they could utilise the knowledge step by step. They didn't give them the technology on a plate, they gave them their knowledge, which in the long run to me is a pretty neat way that an advanced race helped Earth.

Comment

It makes sense to be honest. Would you want to give a race the technology to blow up star systems ect. When they can't even travel through space?

Comment

Originally posted by LJayP View Post
                              It makes sense to be honest. Would you want to give a race the technology to blow up star systems ect. When they can't even travel through space?
                              when they can't even agree with themselves?

Comment

Working...
                              X