This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    Many reboots have a big history, doesnt stop people from going.
    That is true..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
      That is true..
      I just wanted to add this for clarification, because i have a nagging feeling my expectations of this reboot as a whole are somewhat different from most.

I don't really expect a "Stargate" reboot at all, other than that it will probably feature a ring-like device that takes people to other places. STARGATE was 20 years ago. SGA started 10 years ago. SG1 started 17 years ago. Whatever idea MGM, Emmerich and these writers have of stargate, it's no longer tied to any specific incarnation. Times change, people change, budgets change and ideas change. Emmerich has had 20 years to work out his "dream" of Stargate.

For MGM, our Stargate franchise is a dead end. MGM has in stead chosen to return to it's roots, the very creator of Stargate itself, to create a new, big screen movie that hopefully will create a Carte Blance for stargate. That is, old fans may be drawn back in, but mostly new fans will be made, a new product that doesnt have a 17-season burden attached.

The idea of Stargate is strong enough that it can be pretty much indefinitely rebooted. Even the Franchise itself allows such rebooting. There's enough history to mine for ideas, and Stargate is too big to ignore for too long, especially in this higher-than-average reboot phase of hollywood.

Comment

I just wanted to add this for clarification, because i have a nagging feeling my expectations of this reboot as a whole are somewhat different from most.

I don't really expect a "Stargate" reboot at all, other than that it will probably feature a ring-like device that takes people to other places. STARGATE was 20 years ago. SGA started 10 years ago. SG1 started 17 years ago. Whatever idea MGM, Emmerich and these writers have of stargate, it's no longer tied to any specific incarnation. Times change, people change, budgets change and ideas change. Emmerich has had 20 years to work out his "dream" of Stargate.

For MGM, our Stargate franchise is a dead end. MGM has in stead chosen to return to it's roots, the very creator of Stargate itself, to create a new, big screen movie that hopefully will create a Carte Blance for stargate. That is, old fans may be drawn back in, but mostly new fans will be made, a new product that doesnt have a 17-season burden attached.

The idea of Stargate is strong enough that it can be pretty much indefinitely rebooted. Even the Franchise itself allows such rebooting. There's enough history to mine for ideas, and Stargate is too big to ignore for too long, especially in this higher-than-average reboot phase of hollywood.
        Nicely said, I feel much the same way about the reboot. I'm looking forward to see what Emmerich does with his original vision. The possibilities are indeed endless, we got 17 great years of one vision, now lets see what a new generation of writers do with it.

Comment

I just don't think it be what they think will it catch on and have legs is what they say in Hollywood no I don't think so and again RE and DD are not George Lucas or Gene Roddenberry
          sigpic
          My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
          poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
            RE and DD are not George Lucas or Gene Roddenberry
            Yet they did create stargate.

Comment

but it did not become the mainstream darlings that SW or ST became also it didn't become a Franchise until it was on tv. There wasn't a demand for their movie no matter what they think
              sigpic
              My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
              poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
                but it did not become the mainstream darlings that SW or ST became also it didn't become a Franchise until it was on tv. There wasn't a demand for their movie no matter what they think
                I think you're missing the context here. First of all, STARGATE did pretty well, but Emmerich sold the rights to STARGATE which is why a follow-up was never made, as MGM turned it into a TV show under different supervision. Simply put, Emmerich never had a chance to make it into a trilogy or whatever. Lucas made 3 movies then made tons of money off of action figures, a thing that died out quite a bit afterwards. Trek made TV show after TV show, far more that Stargate even. but SG1 is the longest running, longer even than any individual Trek.

Secondly, Stargate isn't quite as mainstream and Trek and Wars, but remember that those are MUCH older than STARGATE.
                Star Trek debuted in 1966 (last episode in 2005). Star Wars in 1977(last OT in '83). STARGATE is 1992 (last episode 2011). Star Trek has 40 years of series to be remembered. Star Wars has massive amounts of comics and Expanded Universe stuff to be remembered too.

Simply put, STARGATE is 26 years behind Star Trek and 15 years behind Star Wars. These other Star franchises have had more time to not just become known, but also are dead enough to become cult hits.

Lastly, we're already seeing the Cult Status of Stargate becoming a thing. References in other TV shows for instances, something i hadn't seen before. Stargate needs to be dead for a few decades before proper nostalgia can cultivate it into a Cult Hit.

In the end, Stargate was pretty big, and pretty popular. Too popular to ignore. It's been alive too long to yet be a cult thing, but just look at other stuff like Babylon 5. It needs to be dead for a while first.
                Last edited by thekillman; 10 September 2015, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Although I do love the original film and SG-1 (having yet to see SG-A and SG-U in their entirety) I am all for a reboot. I would prefer and continuation of the universe I've come to adore, but it would be better if the writers of the reboot had full creative control. I just hope whatever product we receive in the future turns out well.

Comment

Emmerich's latest project "Stonewall" tanked at the box office:

http://www.thewrap.com/stonewall-tan...ch-as-boycott/

http://jezebel.com/blissfully-ignora...ewa-1732440269

Wonder if this will have any impact whatsoever on the SG movie? Probably not but who knows?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post

Wonder if this will have any impact whatsoever on the SG movie? Probably not but who knows?
                      Nope. I don't think the new movie will be cancelled unless ID tanks

Comment

http://www.planet-scifi.com/en/news-...is-still-a-go#

here is the quote that pisses me off

"According to Devlin and Emmerich, the reboot will wipe out all the universe set by the TV series,"

this is the reason many fans who they can not bank on will not see it Stargate is not even in the same leauge as Star Wars or Star Trek I have 0% interest in seeing it part of me is saying Frak you!!! You Frelling pieces of Dren
                        sigpic

Comment

Who cares? You and many others obviously, but I mean, they started it. Without Stargate, there wouldn't have been an SG1, or Atlantis, or Universe.

I'm curious to see where they were once planning on taking the story.

Plenty of alternate universe stories to fit in somewhere.
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                            I'm curious to see where they were once planning on taking the story.
                            Same here.

If MGM decides to be original *cough* they'll make two sequels and a spinoff show. More stargate.

I don't understand this unique snowflake ideal. Hollywood is digging up dead stuff at a high pace right now. I don't see people screaming how bad the Star Wars reboot is.

Comment

I don't see people screaming how bad the Star Wars reboot is.
                              You must have missed the discussions about the new lightsaber designs.
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                                You must have missed the discussions about the new lightsaber designs.
                                To be fair, Star Wars fans have been whining since Return of the Jedi
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X