This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate reboot gets writers.

The writers of Independance Day 2 are writing the new Stargate movie. http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/entry/view/id/907328 Any thoughts? I personally don't think it should be rebooted but I feel with writers other than emmerich and devlin, the movie may be ok.

Not much information on the duo (Wright and Woods). Woods only has Independence Day 2 under his belt and Wright has that and two other films I've never heard of on his resumé. Not instilling much confidence in me, but then I'm not surprised given Emmerich and Devlin are at the helm.

Comment

Originally posted by ngewakl View Post
      The writers of Independance Day 2 are writing the new Stargate movie. http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/entry/view/id/907328 Any thoughts? I personally don't think it should be rebooted but I feel with writers other than emmerich and devlin, the movie may be ok.
      It's difficult to say what to think, when there's little to no information to go on. Well, i'm quite happy that Devlin/Emmerich aren't writing it themselves. That much i do know.

Comment

Originally posted by Aesop View Post
        Not much information on the duo (Wright and Woods). Woods only has Independence Day 2 under his belt and Wright has that and two other films I've never heard of on his resumé. Not instilling much confidence in me, but then I'm not surprised given Emmerich and Devlin are at the helm.
        Indeed!! All new writers are automatically awful! Why can't they all start off with a classic franchise or two under their belt like real movie writers! There's no way George Lucas could write a terrible movie, right? Or Steven Spielberg.. Put the two of them together and everything they write must automatically be a timeless classic!

New writers could mean new ideas from someone who hasn't had their creativity drained or their spirit crushed by being in the industry too long. Remember when everyone here was demanding new writers for Atlantis and SGU because they were tired of the seeing the same stories remade over and over with a different set of characters? Now you have the new writers and it's the worst thing ever!

New might be scary to a lot of people but it doesn't automatically mean bad. Give this movie a chance. Or the Stargate franchise stays dead for a very long time.

Comment

Originally posted by ngewakl View Post
          They could still run the series ( I was hoping for more universe ) and just explain that the movies and tv series are different dimension or universe or whatever since they play around with that often enough. The only reason i can see for rebooting this is because the main cast are too old and maybe tie things together a bit better, but it would be really unfortunate to abandon the casts of Atlantis and Universe. They could even use Jason Momoas recent surge in fame to try pull in new fans, as he will have appeared in the new Batman v Superman by then.

Anyway, thoughts on the writers, I have no faith in them.

Comment

I hope the new movies will spark interests about the tv shows I'm sure there are a lot of people who would love SG-1, SGA and SGU, but they just didn't have a chance to watch it yet And as for the movies... I'll probably watch them out of curiousity and because that's the only new Stargate we can get.
            sigpic

Comment

James Woods, did they not name a school after him?

Comment

I still don't care about this film, I'm rewatching SG1 again and plan on doing the same for SGA and SGU. That's the Stargate I want, although if the disaster film addicts Emmerich and Devlin aren't writing then perhaps it will be at least a good sci-fi film. The most hope I have is that it brings enough attention for a TV continuation, but even though I couldn't see happening in a way I would enjoy.

Comment

i keep waiting for mgm to realize this is a huge and honkin' mistake.

but at least there's still the official stargate novels. thank god! (((fandemonium)))
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

The reboot is more canon than Stargate novels
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      The reboot is more canon than Stargate novels
                      the reboot will be *another* canon.

i don't know if the novels are considered canon, but the 'atlantis: legacy' series progressed the tv franchise story-lines. that was more than nice!
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                        New writers could mean new ideas from someone who hasn't had their creativity drained or their spirit crushed by being in the industry too long. Remember when everyone here was demanding new writers for Atlantis and SGU because they were tired of the seeing the same stories remade over and over with a different set of characters? Now you have the new writers and it's the worst thing ever!
                        I could write books about new screen-writers at the moment ... you are right, new writers CAN mean, new and fresh ideas. After what I've seen on another franchise I was member of during the past years, I sadly have to say: new writers doesn't necessarily mean new and fresh ideas - not even that new writers are carrying about the work the old writers did and crash a complete canon because they know oh so much better! Not to mention what they can do to characters ...

So, not every time new writers add something better to the franchise. They can lack the same stupidness old writers can lack. It depends on vision and talent, if you ask me.

Anyway, a new SG movie sounds promising. It will be interesting to find out what the movie-storyline could add new to the whole franchise. I am looking forward to it

Original eBook:Der Spuk im Rosenhaus
                        Sig & Avi by Josi
                        sigpic
                        LJ, FanFic-Blog(the longest lasting German SG-fanfic series), Profile at ff.net, Profile at FF.de,Profile at deviantART (Sorry, fanfics mostly in German)
                        I'm on Twitter and on Facebook Tumblr and AO3

Comment

First reaction.

How serious are they with this reboot to give the writing job to struggling TV actors. I understand its the lesser of the "Star****" franchises, but i expected a higher level of experience to be attached to the project. They're rebooting a freaking franchise with a trilogy for crying out loud.

On the plus side, they're Canadians, so theres that in common with the TV series writers.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                            Indeed!! All new writers are automatically awful! Why can't they all start off with a classic franchise or two under their belt like real movie writers! There's no way George Lucas could write a terrible movie, right? Or Steven Spielberg.. Put the two of them together and everything they write must automatically be a timeless classic!

New might be scary to a lot of people but it doesn't automatically mean bad. Give this movie a chance. Or the Stargate franchise stays dead for a very long time.
                            I'm not consigning their work to the rubbish bin just yet, because they have no writing projects to speak of. Which is my point, I just don't have confidence yet because I don't know what sort of ideas they might craft. I think it's a valid concern. It would be different if it was Jonathan Nolan, David Goyer or the Kurtzman/Orci duo. We would have a general direction that we might figure the franchise is headed.

I'm not condemning it all just yet.

Comment

Since I don't know anything about them, I'm just going to wait for the movie trailers to see if it looks like they made a worthwhile film. I'm actually kind of glad no well-known names are attached as of yet because I think each of those people have a known style, and that could get in the way. I'm still wishing this project the best.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X