This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

explain the 12th doctor to me. Please

Big fan of Capaldi as an actor. Tried many times to get into Doctor Who. Failed with each doctor until Matt Smith oddly enough. Absolutely loved that doctor. Finished his run and watching season 8....I don't get it. The first episode was good, but he seems..... Not that smart. I mean he's ridiculously intelligent but he seems to be wrong more than usual. I get that each doctor has a different personality, but there doesn't seem to be any gravitas or useful aspects to the character.

Am I just not getting it, or is it just because he's so different from the 10th/11th that my brain just and adjusting to it? Or.... Am I right?

he still feels like an actor playing a part as opposed to Matt Smith where he felt like he was the role and he was a natural at it. I think my issue with Capaldi is that I see him too much as Malcolm Tucker

Comment

You know about opinions; everybody has one.. but to me, Capaldi is way better than Smith ever thought of being.
      Smith's doctor came across as a wet-behind-the-ears kid / puppy type persona. Not an image I expect a 900 year old time lord to present.

Comment

I kind of love Capaldi's Doctor (and I like him a bit more than Matt Smith's), I just don't like the dynamic between him and Clara as much as the one between 11 and Clara (so far, anyway).
        sigpic

Comment

In my humble opinion... (and let's be frank, I'm hardly ever humble, so take that with a pinch of salt)

The "problem" with the 12th Doctor as portrayed in series 8 is Moffat's desire to not just have a frolicking good time in Time and Space, but to always have some wider storyline going on. And, on this occasion the story was - "Am I a good man?".

This question tried its hardest to destroy every episode of the series, and damn near kill Capaldi as the Doctor for me. I am hoping that, as seen in the Christmas episode, Capaldi is now finally being given the chance to simply be the Doctor, and not have this huge shadow hanging overhead.

And since it's been mentioned... yes... Capaldi > Smith. IMO, especially when you compare Peter Davison's Doctor with Smith's Doctor, bearing in mind that Davison was only 2 years older when taking over the role... Davison played with role with such gravitas... I never felt like I was watching a "young person" playing the role. Smith however, I was often left feeling like I was watching 90210...

(I will admit that I am not totally against Smith... He did have some great scenes, moments, and episodes... But I wish the showrunner/directors had just reeled in Smith's occasional adolescent behaviour... )
          Last edited by cosmichobo; 30 January 2015, 11:32 PM.
          back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
          "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
          "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
          and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by Annoyed View Post
            You know about opinions; everybody has one.. but to me, Capaldi is way better than Smith ever thought of being.
            Smith's doctor came across as a wet-behind-the-ears kid / puppy type persona. Not an image I expect a 900 year old time lord to present.
            Gotta tell you.... Without any real context on the series I had the opposite impression. Smith seemed every bit the ancient alien in his demeanor with youthful exuberance, like if an old man got his youth back. He'd act a fool here and there. Capaldi almost seems like a young man in an old body. Prone to tantrums and rather confused. Finally clicking with me though

Comment

I must admit you have a point - while Smith did have his low points, at his best his performance was absolutely genius (see The Big Bang).

My main issue with Capaldi is that they set him up as this James Bond-like man in Deep Breath, someone who offers his enemy a drink before the final match, but then he spends the rest of the season acting like an abused goofball in increasingly ill-fitting costumes. And why does he even ask himself whether or not he's a good man? Where did that come from? It's a valid question, but there seems to have been no push, if you get what I mean. After saving Gallifrey, I'd much rather expect him to have a bit of an ego trip.
              "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

I was unsure about the 12th Doctor until I decided to have a marathon of the 12th Doctor. Watched them all back to back. I realized that I really do love the 12th Doctor but that my uncertainty had actually been shrouded in Clara. She was so different with the 12th Doctor. She was bossy, snobbish, manipulative, angry, and more; but all that was supposed to clear up as soon as she smiled. I blame the writers and story line. But as for the 12th Doctor, of one could place Smith over Capaldi, one would see a lot of similarities. Smith often seemed confused and playful when I would have thought he should have been a bit more serious but Capaldi does the same thing. I believe he is a deep thinker but just doesn't show a lot of he's thinking. In the 12th Doctor, I see a lot of the 10th & 11th Doctors. Didn't the 10th Doctor also do things that seemed out of order at times? Sure! I also see a lot of the 3rd Doctor in his being so serious. But I love the 3rd Doctor. Yep, I just see great mixture of a lot of Doctors. I do so hope that Moffett or whoever is writing the episode will stop with Clara being so demanding and bossy. I think the British really get what it means to change Doctors whereas we don't quite get it yet here in the States.

Comment

I agree! I can see a lot of Smith in Capaldi's character, too. I don't think a lot of people like seeing an "older" person acting the same as a "younger" person. I think your assessment is correct . . .

Comment

I agree about Clara - she's kind of like the Sixth Doctor of companions, but without the charisma.
                    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Hopefully they'll labotomise her this year like the did Peri in S23, and we'll get a better Doctor/Companion relationship going forward.
                      "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                      and lots more!

Comment

Unlikely, given how far Moffat went to keep her despite Jenna's flip-flopping.

Comment

I wonder if Jenna's staying for all of the next season... Have been half trying to avoid any location spoilers... But might be interesting if they in fact... OMG... KILL a companion for once. And I think they could kill Clara "easier" than any previous companions, as I dare say she'd be one of the least popular to date of the new series.
                          and lots more!

Comment

I agree a companion death is long overdue, but it looks like she's staying the whole season. The only optimism I can muster up is that at the end of Last Christmas, they said that they're gonna work from a clean slate, so hopefully the bickering will stop.

Comment

Working...
                            X