Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World reaction of a real stargate program?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World reaction of a real stargate program?

How do you think the world would react if the US Gov't revealed that the stargate program was real and that they traveled to other worlds? I am asking about the real world, so forget about the tv show, how do you think the real world would react? What do you think the governments of the world would demand or do in reaction?

I personally think that'd be the start of world war 3... I think that China and Russia and would be outraged as well as our allies for not telling them about it. But that is just me...

I hope the world would react by mocking the Govt for believing we're so uneducated that we'd believe the story.

Comment

And with Wikileaks and such out there, i doubt it would have remained as secret as it did for so long.

BUT that said, i agree with the OP in that it would most likely be a big kicker for starting WW3.

Comment

Originally posted by jfarrell327 View Post
        How do you think the world would react if the US Gov't revealed that the stargate program was real and that they traveled to other worlds? I am asking about the real world, so forget about the tv show, how do you think the real world would react? What do you think the governments of the world would demand or do in reaction?

I personally think that'd be the start of world war 3... I think that China and Russia and would be outraged as well as our allies for not telling them about it. But that is just me...
        Well, that depends. In the end of the series, just about every major government knew. (about 50 nations would've been involved). So a WWIII seems unlikely if the ones to wage war, were the ones already in it.

On the other hand, if it's just the US (or any nation) then a war would be fought over control of the Gate.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
          Well, that depends. In the end of the series, just about every major government knew. (about 50 nations would've been involved). So a WWIII seems unlikely if the ones to wage war, were the ones already in it.

On the other hand, if it's just the US (or any nation) then a war would be fought over control of the Gate.
          I think you could prevent a war like that, if you approached the other countries before you went public. Sharing a secret this big with technological/moral enemies is a good thing to do. The thing with the Stargate in the series is, there is only one, and other countries couldn't build a second one. If that would be the case in real life too, they should try to involve other countries in it before going public, so no one feels offended or attacked whenever the US does go public. It would be amazing if scientists build a device like this from scratch(instead of finding it), but if that would ever be possible, I don't think it will happen soon

Comment

In house politics: I'd say the party opposite of the guy in charge and running the thing will accuse them of being and whatnot. And the party of the people in charge will call their oppositions xenophobes and such. Expect mass riots and protests too.

North Korea would also be mighty pissed. Any country that does not like the country in possession of the gate will immediately accuse that country of a whole slew of things and prepare of war. That being said, the country in question might've revealed it to the governments of other countries in preparation for doing this (it would stupid of them not to). So, if enough countries have already been previously informed then the bulk of the chaos might be each individual countries' politics.

sigpic
            Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
            https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Originally posted by RunnerRonon View Post
              I think you could prevent a war like that, if you approached the other countries before you went public. Sharing a secret this big with technological/moral enemies is a good thing to do.
              It depends on the timeline given. Initially the SGC was pure american. In s4-s5 (if memory serves )they revealed the gate to the other nations. IRL, this i think is still an acceptable time frame, and i doubt it would directly lead to war. Our relation with the Asgard was what ensured the USA could continue it's operation. Unlike SG1, though, in real life there would probably be a de-americanization treaty that will ensure the continued safety of the planet, and a broad and international representation in the SGC. it would also include increased headaches for the SGC as they'd have to deal with dozens of earth cultures, politics etc and what not. It would probably require a few years to get a proper draft up of a way to organize the earth in light of this new information.

If we go by season 10-ish, sole american operation, then WWIII is certain.

So yes, i think the world's reaction depends on how long America ran it.

Comment

[Alert: I was smiling, chuckling as wrote this. It's not mean. Don't get angry]

The OP said REAL WORLD. If the government revealed a stargate program, the world would insist on proof. A demonstration. The U.S. would be unable to produce a demonstration, because this is the REAL WORLD. At which point, the farce would end. There would be a massive scandal over why the U.S. pretened such a thing. After the outrage faded, the enduring ridicule would remain. Commisions of inquiry would be convened. Military leaders would be replaced. The dominant political party would lose the next election by enormous margins. The country would remain a laughing stock for at least a generation.

That's what would happen "if the US Gov't revealed that the stargate program was real and that they traveled to other worlds? I am asking about the real world, so forget about the tv show, how do you think the real world would react?"

edit p.s.: ok, i'm being pedantic again. I doubt i'd have responded like that if the question had been phrased a little differently.
                Last edited by Brother Freyr; 31 December 2014, 03:58 PM. Reason: postscript

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
                  edit p.s.: ok, i'm being pedantic again. I doubt i'd have responded like that if the question had been phrased a little differently.
                  Well, it's one possible outcome ^^

Comment

Right... Real world, current world, the world where Stargate SG-1 won't cloud your judgement, its a fictional show and I am saying real world. Even if the Stargate was real I doubt there would be anyone like the Goa'uld, the Ori I could see but not parasites in your brain taking you over, though it may be possible...

Comment

I could see but not parasites in your brain taking you over, though it may be possible...
                      Why not? There's already stuff like that on Earth. Granted, it's a little more scaled down though.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
                        Why not? There's already stuff like that on Earth. Granted, it's a little more scaled down though.
                        Very true, but I don't think they can take over your body like a Goa'uld, but they can definitely cause damage and sometimes can even be fatal. I just don't get how a Goa'uld takes over a host... What does it like bite into a human brain or something? I know it cant just wrap itself around the spine and take control...

Comment

Very true, but I don't think they can take over your body like a Goa'uld, but they can definitely cause damage and sometimes can even be fatal. I just don't get how a Goa'uld takes over a host... What does it like bite into a human brain or something? I know it cant just wrap itself around the spine and take control...
                          There's a wasp that injects its larva into a spider. The larva uses a chemical that will prompt the spider to build a web structure, unlike any that it usually builds, with the sole purpose of supporting the cocoons the larva will build after they kill the spider.

There's a parasite that can only live off birds. In order to do that, they infect snails and direct them upwards to the top of the trees. The parasite will disfigure a part of the snail to make it look more like a caterpillar. A bird comes and eats the parasite, which gets a new host.

Those are just two of plenty of mind control parasites on Earth, some of them supposedly able to even affect humans. Evolution can spit out crazy things. Scifi usually takes what's already there and then creates a bigger version of it.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
                            There's a wasp that injects its larva into a spider. The larva uses a chemical that will prompt the spider to build a web structure, unlike any that it usually builds, with the sole purpose of supporting the cocoons the larva will build after they kill the spider.

There's a parasite that can only live off birds. In order to do that, they infect snails and direct them upwards to the top of the trees. The parasite will disfigure a part of the snail to make it look more like a caterpillar. A bird comes and eats the parasite, which gets a new host.

Those are just two of plenty of mind control parasites on Earth, some of them supposedly able to even affect humans. Evolution can spit out crazy things. Scifi usually takes what's already there and then creates a bigger version of it.
                            Wow, I didn't know any of that! That is very interesting! Anything seems possible in nature, which is amazing an terrifying at the same time

Comment

Right... Real world, current world, the world where Stargate SG-1 won't cloud your judgement, its a fictional show and I am saying real world. Even if the Stargate was real I doubt there would be anyone like the Goa'uld, the Ori I could see but not parasites in your brain taking you over, though it may be possible...
                              well, you could have specified how "real world" you wanted it.

also, you think ori could happen but not goa'uld? really? because brain-controlling parasites are more likely than energy beings (which can not exist)

Comment

Working...
                              X