X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rushy View Post
    No, but it was implied.
    Have never seen the episode what happens?
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
      Have never seen the episode what happens?
      An alien spaceship sends ambassadors to Earth, but they're kidnapped and used as weapons by an overzealous military officer. At the end, the Doctor makes sure the aliens are safe. The spaceship is not mentioned departing.
      "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

I was generally being generic: he has a Time Lord's view of what the correct interactions with Earth should be. Being attacked by the Sycorax, for example, is implicitly not on that list.

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
          I was generally being generic: he has a Time Lord's view of what the correct interactions with Earth should be. Being attacked by the Sycorax, for example, is implicitly not on that list.
          According to him....... No one has that right. And Earth defended itself well with the Torchwood laser

Comment

IMHO, the Doctor IS a hero, though I consider the Peter Capaldi Doctor anti-heroic.
            Total syffy posts: 36,690
            (Chosen One)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
            Matthew 5:9

Comment

The term hero, by modern standards, implies someone who fights for "Good" at potential risk to themselves, often thus involving acts of heroism against "Evil" forces, saving the lives of potentially innocent people.

But, I think we tend to think of a hero as being more of a Super Hero... Which does all of the above, to great rounds of applause.

I have never considered the Doctor as being a hero. He simply does that which is right - most of the time. Which happens to occasionally be heroic.
              back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
              "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
              "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
              and lots more!

Comment

Like Cosmichobo indicated: It depends on your definition of an hero: There where times a hero was considered a great, fearless warrior, who was figthing as may wars as possible to impress the noble ladys. Nowadays we rathe have the two definitions Cosmichobo ponted out: The one who tries to save otheres, doing what he things is right, regardless of his own live and health and the superhero, who's got some special powers who thinks of himself a a hero.

The doctor in my opinion lies somewhere between those two definitions: He certainly isn't a clasic superhero, though he has his magical box (yeah, I know it's not raly magical, but all scientificly, but you know what I mean) and he is pretty close to immortality. And though he tries not to think of himselfe as a hero, theres been lots of situations, where you could see, he is fully aware of what he did to save others, what he sacrifesed for them and that he actully wants the credit for that.

Is the Doctor an hero? Yes and no. He is a complex character, one day a hero, one day an arrogant fool. But at the end of the day, he saves as many lives as he can. Thats why I love this figure so much, and thats why he is a hero to me.
                Nobody asked me, if I wanted to live. So don't anyone tell me how I shoul lead my life.

Comment

Wouldn't it be a twist if one day to save millions he had to do something villainous and very dark?

Comment

It'd be a called a retread of the Time War if he did something like that. Sure, technically he didn't, but all that David Tennant moping won't leave the public consciousness that easily.

But what I would love to see is the Doctor actually becoming seriously tempted by power, maybe the Skasis Paradigm - to save Gallifrey. After all, it's still his homeplanet and possibly even family.
                    Have him actually turning against planet Earth(imagine Kate saying: "So nice to see you again.") in order to find the answers he needs.

An Ian Chesterton cameo wouldn't hurt.
                    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Wouldn't it be a twist if one day to save millions he had to do something villainous and very dark?
                      You mean like "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship"? And that wasn't even for "millions".

Comment

You mean like "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship"? And that wasn't even for "millions".

Yes something like that. Only planet scale..... In order to save billions he must wipe out an entire planet of life.

Comment

Was going to say "Fires of Pompeii", kill 20,000 to save the future of the planet. But he'd already said it was a fixed point in time, so maybe wouldn't have really tried to save them anyway. And thus this no longer becomes an example anyway.

The final act of the Time War, as history views events anyway, surely counts. Multiple billions dead, to save the rest of the universe from the Daleks.

Comment

Was going to say "Fires of Pompeii", kill 20,000 to save the future of the planet. But he'd already said it was a fixed point in time, so maybe wouldn't have really tried to save them anyway. And thus this no longer becomes an example anyway.

The final act of the Time War, as history views events anyway, surely counts. Multiple billions dead, to save the rest of the universe from the Daleks.

Yeah but thanks to Moffat hasn't that all been wiped out?

Comment

Firstly: Why would you want the Doctor to do that?
                              But thinking about it, sure things like that make a charakter much deeper and more komplex etc.
                              Secondly: Hasn't he been at a point, where he at least thought, he had to do so manytimes, only that in the end, he did find a better option?
                              And thirdly
                              The effect of it, surely. But the willigness of the doctor in order to save the universe, killing bilions of people including all of his own kind still stands, doesn't it? Does that makes him a hero or rather the opposite, though?
                              Nobody asked me, if I wanted to live. So don't anyone tell me how I shoul lead my life.

Comment

The conclusion, yes, but the Time War still happened throughout the universe(and without a time-lock, doesn't affect the present - for some reason) and billions still died.

Comment

Working...
                                X