X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is The Doctor A Hero Or Not?????????

Question:

On one of the bonus features on the DVD Moffat is being interviewed by Peter Davison and he says the the Doctor isn't really a hero or heroic....... WTF????

He's done many heroic things over the years so how can Moffat say this?
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

It's a matter of opinion. Technically, he's just a travelling Time Lord scientist. He helps out and then wanders off again. He's more of a deus ex machina then a classic hero.
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
      It's a matter of opinion. Technically, he's just a travelling Time Lord scientist. He helps out and then wanders off again. He's more of a deus ex machina then a classic hero.
      I guess...... I just found it an odd thing to say. I think the good Doctor's done tons of heroic things.

Comment

I suppose his actions in the Time War kind of balance things out.
        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
          Question:

On one of the bonus features on the DVD Moffat is being interviewed by Peter Davison and he says the the Doctor isn't really a hero or heroic....... WTF????

He's done many heroic things over the years so how can Moffat say this?
          I heard many years ago that the Doctor is more of an anti-hero than a hero. That or he's just a reluctant hero by default.

If the Doctor truly stuck within true Time Lord standards, he wouldn't be interfering with any of the stories because he would merely be an observer of the cosmos, and thus there would be no program with the Doctor being sometimes trapped in the middle of the messes he often finds himself within.

That too.

Comment

Here's the thing about the Doctor. Apart from in a few exceptions, mainly dealing with other time travelling enemies, the Doctor doesn't travel the universe saving lives and making it a better place... He goes around, saving lives because that just happens to keep up the status quo.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Yes, he's a hero. He's saved every planet in the known universe a minimum of 27 times. That's why like 99% of stories, especially the recent ones, that try to raise the question 'is he a hero, is he a good man?' are complete rubbish.

Yes he is. He travels time and space doing nothing but trying to help people and do the right thing. That's heroism right there.
              sigpic
              Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
                Yes, he's a hero. He's saved every planet in the known universe a minimum of 27 times. That's why like 99% of stories, especially the recent ones, that try to raise the question 'is he a hero, is he a good man?' are complete rubbish.

Yes he is. He travels time and space doing nothing but trying to help people and do the right thing. That's heroism right there.
                He's spent 1000 years or so defending the galaxy. In fact, he's pretty much devoted his whole life to helping people without any personal gain. I'm actually kind of surprised Clara didn't knock him on his head and said: "Of course you are, twit."

Comment

One person's hero is another's arrogant, interfering meddler...

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                    One person's hero is another's arrogant, interfering meddler...

Actually sometimes I do think the Doctor meddles....

If Earth is being invaded by aliens isn't that actually a part of history so who says it's not a fixed point in history? I think that was one of the daftest things the writers did.

Comment

Actually sometimes I do think the Doctor meddles....

If Earth is being invaded by aliens isn't that actually a part of history so who says it's not a fixed point in history? I think that was one of the daftest things the writers did.
                      Presumably, he considers the "official" first contact to be correct, with all others preceding it as worthy of stopping or amending...?

Comment

Originally posted by Quizziard View Post
                        Presumably, he considers the "official" first contact to be correct, with all others preceding it as worthy of stopping or amending...?
                        Hmmm I wonder.

And what would this "official" first contact be in the Dr Who universe?

Comment

Hmmm I wonder.

And what would this "official" first contact be in the Dr Who universe?
                          The Ambassadors Of Death?

Comment

The Ambassadors Of Death?
                            Is there an official source for this?

Comment

Is there an official source for this?
                              No, but it was implied.

Comment

Working...
                              X