Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with most of what you say, but I do have to say, most of those 5 billion humans wouldn't do a better job at it. If this was real life, and I would know what I know now, I would let the SGC continue their work. None of us have any experience with what happens out there but the SGC has kept it under control. They've prevented numerous attacks, and have made multiple allies. Most other planets in this galaxy haven't been able to protect themselves as good as we have, which to me sounds like one of the biggest compliments an inexperienced planet can get

Comment

Originally posted by RunnerRonon View Post
      I agree with most of what you say, but I do have to say, most of those 5 billion humans wouldn't do a better job at it. If this was real life, and I would know what I know now, I would let the SGC continue their work. None of us have any experience with what happens out there but the SGC has kept it under control. They've prevented numerous attacks, and have made multiple allies. Most other planets in this galaxy haven't been able to protect themselves as good as we have, which to me sounds like one of the biggest compliments an inexperienced planet can get
      With what i know, i would have some proposed changes. Within budget, of course, unlike nano-constructing an entire island.

For one, the firing squad in front of the gate is archaic. A machine-gun equipped bunker at either side would be much better.

On the whole, yes they performed pretty damn well. Which is why i think that the people of earth will be fairly content. I just don't think aliens feel the same.

Comment

Yes, it is if you consider the amount of money 'going down the drain'! This money could better be spent on humanitarian projects on Earth!
        CARPE DIEM
        ANJA

Comment

Try proving that in a criminal court
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Anja View Post
            Yes, it is if you consider the amount of money 'going down the drain'! This money could better be spent on humanitarian projects on Earth!
            With how much the US on it's own spends in 'humanitarian" projects through out the world, i doubt the SGC's budget would make much more of a dent in things.

Comment

Someone's been watching the trailer from Batman vs Superman...
              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

There wouldnt be a need for humanitarian aid anywhere on the planet if there was no humans to aid. Even if we had not found the gate in Egypt and started exploration and killed Ra, Eventually, Eventually, the technologies and allies that we have made would have come in handy against an invading alien force. There is no doubt that there are people in need and that live in poverty but the truth of the matter is most homeless people in the U.S. dont have to be. As for other countries that I have been to, they actually do not have the means and really do need aid and a point in the right direction to provide for themselves. But this all has to do with governments and such also. On another note, The powerball, that was most recently at around 1.5 billion dollars, paid for by people who claim to need aid or government assistance could provide all the aid Our country needs. Do the math for U.S. population and split the 1.5 billion amongst them all. Problem solved. That is until inflation hikes to compensate.

Comment

Originally posted by Tj11291982 View Post
                  Do the math for U.S. population and split the 1.5 billion amongst them all. Problem solved. That is until inflation hikes to compensate.
                  1500 million (aka 1.5 billion) split over 323 million is 4 dollars and 64 cents a person.

Comment

LOL...thats a burger. I meant the homeless and people on government assistance in the U.S. Not the entire U.S. Sorry bout that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tj11291982 View Post
                      LOL...thats a burger. I meant the homeless and people on government assistance in the U.S. Not the entire U.S. Sorry bout that.
                      Even that number is in the millions (just how many depends on who you ask and what constitutes a "homeless" person) and would equate little more than a few hundred to at best a thousand dollars each.

Comment

They committed genocide against The Ori with Merlin's weapon (with very little if any discussion of the ethics of that action) as well as the Replicators with the Dakaara weapon (the Human Form Replicators were certainly sentient so the argument that they're just machines doesn't really wash (and again there was little if any ethical discussion about this)). They also would have committed genocide again the Goa'uld with the symbiote poison if not for potential Jaffa allies being killed in the process. They also used The Ark of Truth to brainwash the Ori's followers (again with little discussion of the ethical dilemma aside from after they already used it).

So yeah, I think the SGC could certainly be considered war criminals. Obviously the show presents this as an "us or them" proposition, which you certainly can't argue with, but I really wish there had been more consideration of ethics when the SGC was finally overcoming their enemies.

Perfecto!

Comment

Though as a counter.. The Ori were committing genocide and war crimes of their own against US and our galaxy.. Several plagues, conversions or die of entire planets..

Comment

There was only one human form replicator left to be destroyed by the Dakara weapon, and she was evil.
                            "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                              Though as a counter.. The Ori were committing genocide and war crimes of their own against US and our galaxy.. Several plagues, conversions or die of entire planets..
                              Yes, as I said it was very much us or them, but I wish there had been at least some more discussion about it before they did it. Or maybe if they had gone after The Ark of Truth before turning to Merlin's Weapon since The Ark would have robbed the Ori of their power and taken away any threat they posed. That has its own ethical dilemma attached to it, but it's certainly better than genocide.

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                              There was only one human form replicator left to be destroyed by the Dakara weapon, and she was evil.
                              Is there any evidence that the other human form Replicators were killed by Fifth or Replicarter? We see her kill Fifth, but Fifth was still creating new Human Forms as recently as New Order and I don't think it's ever stated that he killed First through Fourth, is it? You might be able to assume he killed at least First before taking command, but that's just a guess. Still, I just got to Be All My Sins Remember'd in my rewatch and they again commit genocide against the Asurans who were all most definitely sentient. There's at least some discussion about the rightness and wrongness of it in that episode though. And they make a compelling argument that they were created as weapons in the first place (though in episodes like Urgo, they disregard an AI's intended purpose if it displays signs of sentience).

I think these are things that might be looked at in a very harsh light if any of this were real. The show makes it easy to swallow since most of the villains are very one dimensionally evil with no room for interpretation, but still it's something to think about.

Perfecto!

Comment

The evidence is that they stopped appearing and were not mentioned again by either Replicator Carter, Fifth or the SGC. It doesn't make sense that either Fifth or Replicator Carter would control all the Replicators with any other human form replicators in existence. I believe the implication was that Fifth was the only survivor of the Battle of Orilla and Replicator Carter was the only one he made.
                                "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Working...
                                X