No announcement yet.

Dumb: cloaking after exiting the gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's good form to give people a chance to shoot you down when you exit the gate. Or they're just adrenaline junkies.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      That's an odd theory - the cloak is just a shield, nothing gets send anywhere. It's called stealth. Like the Bus in SHIELD using a mirror-technology to cloak itself.
      The question is, does all cloaking work in equal ways? The re'tu existed out of phase, whatever that may mean. Nirrti copied that. It's not known what the goa'uld ash'rak use. The so'dan used some sort of other dimension to cloak, hence the aliens.

But we do know what the Jumpers use. Their cloak and shield generator are the same device. So what if it's this very peculiarity that prevents the jumper from cloaking?

Remember, while ancient tech looks like crystals and rocks, there must be some very advanced mechanisms below that appearance that allow this. These technologies -on an engineering level- have many complex things that may prevent this. The stargate itself, though usually shown to work with a myriad of things, has limitations and is an insanely complex device. issues can arise that are not obvious until you've torn them down to their nanoscale engineering.

Finally, Stargate as is, is very low on explanations for *why* things happen. e.g. why all ancients were affected by the plague, why the wraith now are so different from the wraith back then, why the ZPM power levels are as they are and why the city needs the power it needs. (just a handful among hundreds).

Often it's just shown, with an implied reason behind it. But we rarely get told an *actual* reason.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        Often it's just shown, with an implied reason behind it. But we rarely get told an *actual* reason.
        Don't you hate that?
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Even if it was Cloaked (and someone was actually watching the Gate) you could tell if something came thru do to the "ripples" caused by the matter moving thru the even horizon.
          I like Sharky
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
            Even if it was Cloaked (and someone was actually watching the Gate) you could tell if something came thru do to the "ripples" caused by the matter moving thru the even horizon.
            But they wouldn't know what it is coming through so I guess that's where it's an advantage? But you're right even just the gate activating would be a bit of a give away and they could hear it as well
            "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinded critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all." Isaac Asimov

Comment

All things considered, I am pretty sure it is like the shields and cloaks when you are in (or drop out of) hyper space. They might not have specified this particular thing, but you see that a lot in SciFi. Stargate might have put a lot of effort into plausibility and realism, they do still leave some things untouched, which I kind of like actually.
              They can't have Carter give an in depth explanation for everything, because that would make it very boring.
              To me it doesn't matter whether the writers actually had a reason for this, or that they thought it would make boring television if we wouldn't see anything come through the Stargate, I like it either way

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                Don't you hate that?
                a bit late of a reply, but yes. In fact, it's probably the number one thing i hate about stargate. I used to be okay with it, but a few debates here and there, and it becomes clear just how little we actually know about stuff.

Originally posted by RunnerRonon View Post
                All things considered, I am pretty sure it is like the shields and cloaks when you are in (or drop out of) hyper space. They might not have specified this particular thing, but you see that a lot in SciFi.
                Asgard ships are designed such, that the hyperdrive takes up all the power at full speed. So, there simply is no power to fire or shield in hyperspace. It is possible, however, as Atlantis shows.

Comment

This is the kind of thing we should have learned in Stargate just like that SG-1 should have met the furlings
                  sigpic

Dr.Rodney McKay: Their operating system is a mess, thank goodness I remember DOS

Hallowed are the Ori

Stargate Space Simulator- http://marcusdamli.wix.com/stargate-eternity

Comment

Originally posted by TheAtlantia View Post
                    This is the kind of thing we should have learned in Stargate just like that SG-1 should have met the furlings
                    Considering what the tech manuals looked like, maybe it's better we didn't.

Unfortunately, the "they can't do X because we never saw them do X and if they could, Y wouldn't have happened" argument i've had to use too often to shoot down stupid theories.

Comment

In SCI FI there is always an infinite amount of things that just do not make sense.
                      I try not to let technical things bother me as much as Bad acting Bad scripts and BAD CGI and inconsistent character development.
                      In regards to technology I just always assume there is a reason for everything, the ships may not have any destabilizing energies active when entering the gate for example, I just make it up in my mind and enjoy the "SCI FI" world that takes me away from the real world for the few hours I can relax and watch it
                      What I do not like in SCI FI is too much mumbo jumbo and toy like worlds and aliens that are just over the top. Like some of the recent DR WHO, I use to watch DR WHO when I was a kid and loved it, but to me it lost its intelligence and became more of a fairy-tail theme jumping around all over the place. Stargate tends to be more consistent and realistic and funny in the right context.
                      Last edited by jackisback; 19 March 2015, 06:25 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jackisback View Post
                        In regards to technology I just always assume there is a reason for everything
                        Which is simply the truth. As someone who IS an engineer, you'd be surprised by how much thought is poured into a design. Just because it has no immediate obvious use, doesn't mean there isn't one.

The second thing that bothers me is that Mckay and Carter just kept explaining things and dumbing it down so much. I mean, if i were to explain half the stuff i do, i'd just ask if they're aware of some of the underlying principles and if they don't, i won't bother.

Lastly, Stargate is a show based upon possibilities, not limitations. While that may sound vague, what i mean by that is that SG rarely takes the time to explain the rules and constraints. We don't know a whole lot about the limitations of various technologies, and the writers never bothered to explain them. It may seem like Stargate is a world where you can combine technology endlessly for wacky OP stuff, but that's because we don't know how far this stuff can be stretched. We don't even know the energy within a ZPM, or how it even works. Not even the "self-contained region of subspace" explanation is satisfactory enough.

So while it may seem dumb that they don't cloak while passing through the gate, it may simply be a limitation of the technology, or a safeguard, or whatever. Just because we were never told such a rule, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by RunnerRonon View Post
                          They can't have Carter give an in depth explanation for everything, because that would make it very boring.
                          true

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
                          thekillman says we're offered a hokum excuse, and frankly I'm okay with that. I just didn't like them de-cloaking w/o having a reason.
                          No need for in-depth explanations. It's nice to have a reason of some kind for what would otherwise be a significant, recurring tactical error. Most alien tech requires no explanation. Ooooh, neato, it's alien technology beyond our understanding. Fine. No problem.

But if we give the enemy a couple seconds of warning every time we exit the gate into hostile territory? It deserves a reason. It can be an Ancient warning label that says "do not cloak through strargates."

Comment

Working...
                          X