Dumb: cloaking after exiting the gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb: cloaking after exiting the gate

When teams are in a puddle jumper and need to remain unseen on another world, they always cloak immediately after exiting the gate. They're visible for a second or two.

There is nothing, and I mean nothing, in any of the three Stargate series to suggest that ships can't cloak before entering the stargate. We've seen all manner of energized things & beings travel though stargates. We've even seen people with invisibility cloaks do it.

I suppose it makes for a better television experience. I've always thought it was really, really stupid.

Nothing to suggest that... aside from the fact they don't.

Why assume stupidity?
    sigpic
    Banner By JME2

Comment

Don't they say something about that in Rising? Something about have to decloak before entering the Stargate... that scene where they are chased by wraith darts?
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
        Nothing to suggest that... aside from the fact they don't.

Why assume stupidity?
        Because they wish to be unseen, yet they uncessarily allow themselves to be seen. (Unless it's necessary. But I don't recall such requirement. See below...)

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
        Don't they say something about that in Rising? Something about have to decloak before entering the Stargate... that scene where they are chased by wraith darts?
        I hope you're right. I prefer for there to to be a good reason.

edit: I searched the 'Rising' script for instances of "cloak" but didn't find what you suggest. They did have to de-cloak in order to bait the darts into following them away from the gate. That might be what you're remembering.

I assume they exit the gate de-cloaked because television is a visual medium, and it's not much of a scene to see nothing exit the gate.
        Last edited by Brother Freyr; 08 December 2014, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Could be... not sure... I should watch it again.

Comment

In 1x17 (Letters from Pegasus), Sheppard & Teyla approach a stargate in a PJ. Sheppard says, "I'm going to take us out of stealth mode for the pass through. Dial the gate."

To the best of my recollection, we never learn why they de-cloak before entering stargates. (Anyone who recalls a reason, you'll have my gratitude.) Assuming there's no reason, Sheppard's statement is a lot like "hanging a lantern on it."

In SG-1's "200" (10x06), Martin Lloyd describes a scene in which the team miraculously, inexplicably escapes certain death:

TEAL'C: Is that not too convenient?
            MARTIN: Not if you hang a lantern on it.
            DANIEL: What's that?
            MARTIN: It's a writer's term. Another character points out how convenient it is. Doctor Levant can say, "Wow, that was great timing." That way, the audience knows I intended for it to be convenient, and we move on.

'Hey, audience. We realize that you know that we de-cloak before passing through stargates. Now that we've "hung a lantern on it," let's move on.'

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
              When teams are in a puddle jumper and need to remain unseen on another world, they always cloak immediately after exiting the gate. They're visible for a second or two.

There is nothing, and I mean nothing, in any of the three Stargate series to suggest that ships can't cloak before entering the stargate. We've seen all manner of energized things & beings travel though stargates. We've even seen people with invisibility cloaks do it.

I suppose it makes for a better television experience. I've always thought it was really, really stupid.
              The ancient writing on the puddlejumper says the jumper has to decloak before moving through.

There obviously is a reason why they can't go through, but i think the writers decided it would be better to just not tell the reason. After all, fans would nitpick it to death anyway. furthermore, just because we don't know, doesn't mean there's no reason.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                The ancient writing on the puddlejumper says the jumper has to decloak before moving through.

There obviously is a reason why they can't go through, but i think the writers decided it would be better to just not tell the reason. After all, fans would nitpick it to death anyway. furthermore, just because we don't know, doesn't mean there's no reason.
                Ah, good. Sometimes it's nice to be wrong. I'm glad there's a pseudo-excuse.

Do you recall when/where the writing is mentioned? It's completely escaping me (and that bugs me a little.)

Comment

Maybe they have to decloak so the gate knows what it is transferring?

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                    Maybe they have to decloak so the gate knows what it is transferring?
                    It's my speculation but I think it's because the cloak sends the individual into another dimension so the gate might have trouble dealing with this. But It's just fan speculation on my part.

sigpic
                    Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

That's an odd theory - the cloak is just a shield, nothing gets send anywhere. It's called stealth. Like the Bus in SHIELD using a mirror-technology to cloak itself.

Comment

Well, the Carter stated that the Sodan cloaking device puts the wearer in another dimension in 'Uninvited' and those cloaks were built using instructions left behind by the Ancients. It's logical to assume both jumpers and regular cloak devices use the same method of cloaking since they were built by the Ancients.

sigpic

Comment

People can travel through the gate while out of phase (Re'tu, Niirt's personal cloak). And while in another dimension (Arthur's Mantle, Sodan cloaking devices). Normally, I'd say there's no reason to believe that cloaked Puddle Jumpers would be any different,

BUT,

thekillman says we're offered a hokum excuse, and frankly I'm okay with that. I just didn't like them de-cloaking w/o having a reason.

Comment

Yeah, it was speculation at best anyways. I guess I can live with a simple warning label. If a medieval man found a heavy machine with the warning 'Don't touch the exposed wire', he wouldn't understand why either.

sigpic

Comment

And everything Carter says is fact...

I find that hard to buy. Harry Potter wasn't sent into a different dimension when he became invisible underneath his cloak. Now, Frodo on the other hand... he got some freakish effects when using the ring.

Comment

Working...
                              X