Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm finally getting to watch the franchise properly - alternate editions questions???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm finally getting to watch the franchise properly - alternate editions questions???

Hello,

I love the Stargate movie. I fell behind when watching the original run of SG-1's first season and never got the catch to get back into it. The same happened around the third season if Atlantis. And the first season of Universe.

Now with the blessed Netflix, I can finally sit down and go right back to the start.

I'm going to watch the movie over the Christmas holidays and the series (chronologically, by the guide on this site) after that.

I have some questions about the various alternate editions of some Stargate stories.

Which version of the movie is the one available on Netflix - the USA site? It's running time diesnt match either the original theatrical version or the director's cut. Both Netflix and iTunes show a runtime of 2 hours 1 minute.

Is "Children of the Gods" on Netflix (Ireland/UK) the original version or the "Final Cut"?

It is going to be a long time before I get to Season 8 of SG-1, but where can I get the original 60 minute episode, as the one on Netflix is 43 minutes?

Are there any other alternate versions of any Stargate franchise episodes?

When I get to Season 8, I want to start Atlantis at the same time. Should I just from that point watch an SG-1 episode, then an Atlantis episode, then SG-1, Atlantis, etc. ?

Thanks for reading.

It shows the original version.
    You are forgetting to factor in that Netflix lacks the previews that are counted in theater releases.

I don't know what the UK Netflix offers but I would guess its the original nudity COTG.

The only legal way is probably the DVDs. Honestly though, you don't miss much with the short Threads.

I personally would do them as how they were released on TV. I think that makes the most sense but that will take time.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

I've been going through the series on Amazon; at least there it is available as instant download. I don't see it as available on Netflix, FWIW. I've only got a couple of episodes of Season 3 of SGA left and seasons 4 and 5 and the movies remaining and I'll be done with the entire franchise once through. Might consider rewatching SGU however.

Comment

Thanks for responding, jelgate.

The movie runtimes are from the DVD, BluRays, etc.

It doesn't include trailers, etc.

Comment

HogWldFLTR, it is available on different regions of Netflix.

Comment

I know on Amazon it's the final cut of COTG... Which I hate and despise with a passion so I'm willing to bet it's the same on Netflix.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by I Am Not James Spader View Post
              HogWldFLTR, it is available on different regions of Netflix.
              Apparently.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

No, it IS!!!

Comment

Well the movies used to be available on Amazon but they pulled them to make them pay to watch. I bought both DVDs for slightly more than what it would have cost to watch them on Amazon. Now I just need to watch them.

Comment

About once/year, the price of the complete DVD set drops to $55 or $60 on amazon. You can create a price watch on camelcamelcamel.com and have them send you an email when it happens. There are other price watch services, too, but 3camel is the one I know.

Comment

On UK Netflix it is the final cut of Cotg, I think mainly because it keeps the rating for the series as a whole at 15 but it's also awesome cos it's all remastered
                        "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinded critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all." Isaac Asimov

Comment

Speaking of alternate versions, does anyone know where you can see the full version of sga trio with *that* deleted scene in it?
                          "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinded critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all." Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by StuckintheStargate View Post
                            On UK Netflix it is the final cut of Cotg, I think mainly because it keeps the rating for the series as a whole at 15 but it's also awesome cos it's all remastered
                            Are you sure? The Irish Netflix is pretty much the same and Children of the Gods here is the edited version.

I watched the iTunes CotG this afternoon - I got it few a couple of years ago - and it is the "Final Cut" version.

I gave to say I was surprised - both at that scene and the film itself (it was much better, and far more entertaining than I remembered it - not a patch on the movie but I don't need it to BE the movie - just like I don't want The Force Awakens to be the Originals or the Prequels - it just needs to be itself.

As to the nudity, I was very, very surprised. The first I had ever heard of it was in this thread and I assumed it was just a bare back - or a backside at the most I had to laugh though at the fact that the MGM (or whoever owns it) choose to blur the screen to block the actresses vagina - what was the point of that? Beyond actually frightening me - I thought there was something wrong with my eyes

Was it the original intention if the producers to carry this on through the series or was it just for the shock value to draw an audience to check the series out?

Comment

Working...
                            X