Has SGC explored the Andromeda Galaxy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has SGC explored the Andromeda Galaxy?

I was just wondering, because I'm planning a SW-SG-1 Crossover and planned on locating the SW Galaxy there.

No. The SGC has not explored the Andromeda Galaxy. They've only gotten as far as Pegasus, and at least visited a couple of Asgard Galaxies. Plus, whatever Galaxy SGU has gotten to in Destiny.

Comment

Pegasus is 70 Million light years away, whereas Andromeda is only about 2.5 million light years away, so while it hasn't been mentioned in any episode or movie I know of, it would be surprising if there hasn't been at least one quick survey trip to check out the nearest big galaxy to the Milky Way.

Comment

Pegasus is 3 million light-years away. I don't know where you got 70.

It's not as if there's any way to do a "quick" survey of a galaxy either. We don't even know if there are gates there. Sure you can go by ship but in our galaxy the Ancients/Goa'uld already did the work of identifying habitable planets for us when they placed gates there. We're talking about a logistical nightmare with no identifiable payoff.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

The Senate Appropriations Committee was happy when the Goa'uld were defeated as they could then focus on Pegasus, and with the Wraith still out there and the Lucian Alliance in the Milky Way, I doubt they will want to expand anywhere else for now.

Comment

I think the lack of obvious enemies would make a galaxy like Andromeda attractive, at least in a few years time anyway. Earth are going to want resources and a galaxy like Andromeda could likely allow a near endless supply with potentially zero risk of any problems. Remember a gate-bridge can be built there if the destination planet has a DHD and stargate imported. Once that is established exploration and creation of outposts would be at a reduced cost and difficulty.

Comment

Originally posted by Ankara View Post
              I think the lack of obvious enemies would make a galaxy like Andromeda attractive, at least in a few years time anyway. Earth are going to want resources and a galaxy like Andromeda could likely allow a near endless supply with potentially zero risk of any problems. Remember a gate-bridge can be built there if the destination planet has a DHD and stargate imported. Once that is established exploration and creation of outposts would be at a reduced cost and difficulty.
              Our galaxy has resources enough....

Comment

That detail didn't escape me. I am referring to a scenario where the LA become too powerful and the risk of terrorist attack becomes too great to justify exploration and exploitation. I can envision someone opting to take a chance with a galaxy without infrastructure but ultimately without risk.

I think it depends on how big the LA become. They could potentially become more powerful than the Goa'uld simply because they are united and see Earth as the biggest threat to their growth. They were shown to be a sufficient threat in SGU and they have the whole gate network at their disposal. If they are defeated in battle quick enough or fall to civil war then yes the MW would be facoured.

Comment

Originally posted by Ankara View Post
                  That detail didn't escape me. I am referring to a scenario where the LA become too powerful and the risk of terrorist attack becomes too great to justify exploration and exploitation. I can envision someone opting to take a chance with a galaxy without infrastructure but ultimately without risk.

I think it depends on how big the LA become. They could potentially become more powerful than the Goa'uld simply because they are united and see Earth as the biggest threat to their growth. They were shown to be a sufficient threat in SGU and they have the whole gate network at their disposal. If they are defeated in battle quick enough or fall to civil war then yes the MW would be facoured.
                  remember that the LA fight us because we fight them. Just about every part of their existence suggests that if left alone, they'd leave us alone.

Secondly, our galaxy is so insanely big that such a situation won't occur. Even if we're talking tens of thousands of stargates, that means there's one stargate per million or so stars.... There's plenty of space.

Comment

The short answer is no...and Andromeda is not 70 million light years away but 3million
                    sigpic

Dr.Rodney McKay: Their operating system is a mess, thank goodness I remember DOS

Hallowed are the Ori

Stargate Space Simulator- http://marcusdamli.wix.com/stargate-eternity

Comment

We have hundreds of billions of stars in our own galaxy. Theres probably thousands of advanced civilizations for the SGC to yet discover and skirmish with. There is plenty of exploration and resource gathering to do right here. But lets say they do decide to venture and explore new horizons, there are multiple dwarf galaxies close to us that would merit a visit, if only to plant a flag and pick a fight, for a change.

Comment

I still think they'd send some surveys there, to check whether it has gates and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurluas View Post
                          I still think they'd send some surveys there, to check whether it has gates and such.
                          Yea but if you take a moment to consider how many gates we have (couple of thousand) and how many stars there are (couple of trillion if memory serves) then the odds of just running into a stargate is astronomically bad.

You'd need quite long-running surveys before you can be certain

Comment

Working...
                          X