CBS.. What the F over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CBS.. What the F over

OK. So last week's episode of CSI got booted due to the football over running its time, and all the other shows (Good wife and Madam Secretary) getting moved up an hr.
    Wrote into CBS an was told it was getting rescheduled to this Sunday.
    Cue this week, and we see clips of last week's CSI being billed as airing this Sunday. YAY
    Sunday came though and STILL NO CSI.

Now when i was living in Gulfport, Guam, the UK.. hell even in Bahrain, when something was happening to the schedule which either shifted the start times of shows, OR forced one to be cancelled, there was ALWAYS a scrawl across the screen on that channel indicating it. BUT YET Neither of the 2 Sunday's has CBS done this? WTF OVER!!!

I can understand your frustration over CBS. When TV changed from analog to digital the area where I live lost a CBS affiliate. When I wrote to them they could have cared less. Now when I want to watch anything on CBS I have to leave home to do so. Ridiculous!
    sigpic

Comment

I'm sick and tired of it too.

Basically it comes down to money. First, they keep letting the football run longer and longer and longer. Supposed to be over before 6, now it commonly runs to 630, 7 or later. 60 minutes obviously has issues being preempted so it never is. And they have no other shows that they can collapse to make up the time.

Then comes the advertisers, both national and local, pay for time spans. And, especially right now with the political season, there are advertisers whose money you can get back....basically once the election is over the money is gone. And they are paying high dollar. And they will not pay or will not pay as much for later time spans. So, in the case of last night, the 20 or more local spots that should air in the local news, well if that news airs at 11pm instead of 10 they won't pay. So even on the local level, it comes down to thousands and thousands of dollars.

Even though I know why, it still annoys me beyond my tolerance. I'm sick and tired of sports taking things over. I'm sick of CBS, even when they are late, going to game after game after game making the shows even later. I'm very sick of my local station that's preempting the shows tonight for a pre-season exhibition basketball game. I get to tape scorpion at 1am thanks to the ridiculousness that is sports.

What I'm wondering with CBS dumping shows, if the local affiliates are complaining about losing too much money on their commercials.
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Tell me now that banning televised sports is a disproportionate response.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

Originally posted by Britta View Post
          Tell me now that banning televised sports is a disproportionate response.
          More like a measured response.
          No Sam w/o a Jack and no Jack w/o a Sam.
          It's like and immutable law of the multiverse.

Comment

I think all sports should be confined to its own channel, and leave all the other shows alone. If people want to watch sports, they can go to the station devoted to it.

Comment

On another site i made this rant, someone mentioned that maybe CBS is in some sort of 'legal hot water' for what ever reason with CSI (say one or more eps were sued to be blocked), or cause of viewership ratings they feel its ready to get cancelled but are scared announcing it will put off what viewers they DO have for it, so ar letting it fade this way.

Comment

I saw where there were a LOT of people up in arms over this. If you aren't certain you will definitely broadcast it the next week, then don't SAY you are gonna show it. CBS knows that they aren't going to cut off an NFL game for a TV show!!!

I get more annoyed when they have Final 4 games on and they take so many time outs.

This all started back in 1968 with a New York Jets-Oakland raiders game. The game was going back and forth in scoring and it wasn't certain who would win. NBC, in all their wisdom, decided to pre-empt the game and put the regularly scheduled "Heidi" on at 6pm CST. Their switchboards CRASHED they had so many irate callers. Needless to say, the networks were loathe to ever pull a sports event until its conclusion ever again.

What I don't understand is why "60 Minutes" is such a sacred cow. From what I can recall, it was always shown "in its entirety". Why? Can't they rotate which shows will get shown at the very least?
                sigpic

Comment

Or, my idea, put something like re-runs of big bang theory from 6-7, collapse as needed, then 60 minutes, madame secretary and good wife (although I understand that some of the last 13 episodes of the mentalist will take the good wife's place starting in november through february....as in I could guess/speculate let's put the cancelled show on while there's football to frak it up, saving the better show until after it's over.

sigpic

Comment

ITA skydiver. Hey CBS if you need someone to program for ya call me.
                    sigpic

Comment

I have DirecTV and DVR so I just tell it the shows to record and it grabs them whenever. While I don't watch CSI I do watch a few shows on CBS and none have every been missed due to football.
                      sigpic

Comment

Well,they finally got to airing it last sunday... 3 weeks late.

Comment

It's amazing, if they have enough pressure they can get things on the air on time.

I honestly think they like football to run late so that they can charge more for ads or cram more in there or something.

sigpic

Comment

This has long been a pet peeve of mine. If jockstrap crap is scheduled to run X O'clock to Y O'clock, then it should run to Y O'clock, and then TV coverage should end at that time, regardless of the status of the event.

Comment

yeah well, didn't we lost CSI last weekend?

I know i'm so sick of sports.

I keep thinking of the roman empire, and as how when it was falling apart the emperor pushed the coliseum and gladiators, to keep them distracted from the dire state of everything.

I also wonder, do people really love sports, or so they feel the peer pressure to love sports because 'everyone else does'

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X