Then and Now Stargate Viewing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Then and Now Stargate Viewing?

Having been otherwise occupied during the original airings, I have relatively recently started watch the full offerings having seen the original movie, all of SGU, SG-1 and currently on SGA. When I recently watched all three episodes of the Siege in one day I realized how different my viewing experience is than for those who watched in real time as the episodes were being conceived and produced. I'm really glad to have Amazon and its ability to deliver media. Anyone believe that there is something lacking in the ability to view the series in a much shorter time period than it was produced?

Thanks,

-Lee

I didn't have any problems with viewing SG-1 when it first aired as it worked with the 'adventure of the week' format and I always looked forward to the next installment after quickly getting hooked on the show. I suppose being older I was already used to that, so waiting for the next exciting weekly episode is something I grew up with in the days before the ability to record TV shows!

I gave up on SGA after the first season when it first aired, mainly due to not really getting into it. I did buy the DVD's and eventually watched some of it, but only because I could skip episodes I got bored with and move on instantly. That worked for me and ended up only watching the episodes that had stories that appealed to me. I have only ever watched it once in its entirety for the Gateworld re-watch. With having episodes on demand in this case it did mean I watched SGA when I wouldn't have in the days before this was available.

I did however find that viewing SGU as it aired more of a problem due to the different way it was presented. I found that the way it jumped around initially with the different threads as the foundations were laid with character development made it difficult to follow. It was a much better experience when I watched the episodes in succession on DVD, especially the 3 parter 'Air'.

Comment

I know what you mean HogW, watching a series at my own pace removes a lot of the irritation factor of cliffhangers, filler episodes, arcs I don't like and so on.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by min min light View Post
        I know what you mean HogW, watching a series at my own pace removes a lot of the irritation factor of cliffhangers, filler episodes, arcs I don't like and so on.
        the first time you watch it you rarely know you're gonna hate it ;P

But yea, especially with the cliffhangers it's much better. Mostly because some cliffhangers have an extremely unsatisfying resolution compared to the stakes, and when you wait months for the resolution you're just "what? that's it?"

Comment

I can't have imagined waiting for a new season for the resolution of the Siege of Atlantis.

I really like Atlantis so far being two episodes into the second season. It's kind of like a for longed good bye to Star Gate, counting down through the last season. It's seems about time to see the SG-1 movies.

Comment

I wouldn't want it all in one go. No way.

I am sure of this as I am watching Classic Who at the moment. I'm up to Doctor number 6, about to regenerate into 7, and I find myself loosing interest on more than one occasion. Breaks are good. They keep the interest going, if I like the show to begin with of course. It's exciting to speculate about what might come next, and exciting when the new season arrives and of I go again. But that's just me.
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Circa 2000 I wound up seeing all of SG1 S2 and 3 for the first time on what was pretty much a daily basis. The only thing lacking was that the wait till S4 seemed relatively long.
              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Here's some thoughts that occurred while watching The Lost Boys and starting its second part, The Hive. The intensity seems pretty high and having a week between episodes of this nature could give nerves time to relax a bit.

Comment

I used to look forward to Friday nights for new Stargate episodes. If it was a payday, I'd get my fave dish from the local Thai place.

Having the DVDs allows me to watch in whatever order I like. Not having to wait a week or months (hated the split season thing), for the multi-part episodes is very nice. There may be some lack of suspense, but I already know what happens.
                  sigpic
                  Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

No DVD for the series here but using Amazon. I did buy the DVDs for the movies however which I've yet to watch. Working my way through SGA season 3 currently.
                    Last edited by HogWldFLTR; 15 November 2014, 07:17 PM.

Comment

I haven't tried this with Stargate, as I'm doing the old-school one-episode-a-week viewing at the moment, but with Original Who I found one a day was acceptable. Two at most. Any more than that and you're veering into binge watching, and while I am a fan of BW for some shows, it doesn't feel right for DW or Stargate. Even the SGU 'Air' three parter needed to be separated by a bit of time for it to be palatable, even if it's only a lunch break
                      That said, I probably couldn't wait a whole week between them these days. One or two days at the most.

Comment

There are pros & cons for each viewing style. For the very best tv series, once/week viewing might increase the pleasure per episode: anticipation for the next episode, the pleasure of watching it, and satsifaction of reviewing it in your mind. This works best when viewing a series for the first time. However:
                        Originally posted by min min light View Post
                        watching a series at my own pace removes a lot of the irritation factor of cliffhangers, filler episodes, arcs I don't like and so on.
                        Multiple episodes at a time can provide a movie-like experience, especially when two or more episodes pursue a single storyline. And heavy binge-watching can immerse you in the make-believe universe like no other viewing style can do. (Bing watching can also decrease "pleasure per episode" as you rush from one ep to the next.)

The best viewing schedule is a mysterious formula that includes
                        • the type & quality of the series
                        • the personality, mood, & lifestyle of the viewer
                        • whether it is a first-time or repeat viewing

Simple, see?
                        Last edited by Brother Freyr; 19 November 2014, 09:01 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I agree with that "movie experience" full immersion angle, and these days I almost never just skip around watching an episode here and there of anything I've already seen, I watch it from start to finish. It's a lot more satisfying that way for the reasons you mentioned.
                          sigpic

Comment

Cooking right through SGA; almost done with season three. And yes, I did post this for my 50th post to see if I got a promotion and I did.

Comment

Working...
                            X