Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK, so thunk threads are for the ladies, what are the threads for us guys called?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, so thunk threads are for the ladies, what are the threads for us guys called?

Just curious, we need to spread the wealth here a little bit, too many dude pics on the front page!

And what are the rules? Do they have to be main cast members or could they have just been guest stars???

Comment

OK, no answer on the question yet, but the word "thunk" is a bit confusing....

Here's a definition I found:

Originally posted by Dictionary.com
      thunk
      Last modified: Wednesday, May 12, 2004

(v.) In PCs, to convert a 16-bit memory address to a 32-bit address, and vice versa. Thunking is necessary because Intel's older 16-bit microprocessors used an addressing scheme called segmented memory, whereas their 32-bit microprocessors use a flat address space . Windows 95 supports a thunk mechanism to enable 32-bit programs to call 16-bit DLLs. This is called a flat thunk.

On the other hand, 16-bit applications running under Windows 3.x and Windows for Workgroups cannot use 32-bit DLLs unless the 32-bit addresses are converted to 16-bit addresses. This is the function of Win32s, and is called a universal thunk. According to folklore, the term thunk was coined by the developers of the Algol-60 programming language, who realized late one night that the data type of parameters could be known with a little forethought by the compiler. That is, by the time the compiler processed the parameters, it had already thought of (thunked) the data types. The meaning of the term has changed considerably in recent years.

(n.) The operation of converting between a segmented memory address space and a flat address space.
      So, not only do you ladies think these guys are hot, but you want to "convert" them to 32-bit?! You make me sick!

Seriously though, has a phrase been made for woman pic posts or what?

If not, I coin the term "WOW"

Here's the definition:
      Originally posted by Dictionary.com
      WOW
      Last modified: Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Short for Win16 on Win32, a collection of programs in Windows NT and later operating systems that allows 16-bit applications to run in a 32-bit Windows environment through a process called thunking. Without WOW, Win32 programs cannot communicate with Win16 programs, though the ability to do so is often necessary with legacy systems or when systems use 16-bit applications with newer 32-bit operating systems. WOW is designed to make the differences between 16-bit and 32-bit applications invisible to the user.

Comment

I love the idea for us guys to have our own "Thunk" threads! A great, great name!

Comment

Originally posted by BruceDickinson
          Just curious, we need to spread the wealth here a little bit, too many dude pics on the front page!
          To be honest, I have no clue what "thunk" is. I've been too scared to ask and I never go into those threads. What chix do you like dude?

Comment

"Thunk" is the sound one makes when hitting the floor because the hottness of the actor/character (generally as seen in a pic) has made one faint. Generally, the purpose is to ooh and ah, and share good pics.
            My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
            -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
            -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
            -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Ive been wondering the same thing for the past few days...my mission for today 'to come up with a good name for our version of thunk
              And all these bad dreams, I wake up to the light. And when I can't sleep, I wake up to your eyes.

Comment

You guys are too funny. We are pretty harmless in the thunk threads; really. Drop in and ask questions. All we ask is that you be respectful and nice about it.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PoeticTragedy
                  Ive been wondering the same thing for the past few days...my mission for today 'to come up with a good name for our version of thunk
                  There is already a "Women of Stargate Thunk Thread" if you want to post on it.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=5068
                  Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Ooooo We could use Fexual! as the word its a mix between Foxy and Sexual i.e. Fexual Sam Thread
                    And all these bad dreams, I wake up to the light. And when I can't sleep, I wake up to your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
                      To be honest, I have no clue what "thunk" is. I've been too scared to ask and I never go into those threads. What chix do you like dude?
                      i've been thinking the same thing in the last week
                      Oneil: You ended the sentence in a preposition, you ba$tard!

Comment

Originally posted by Major Tyler
                        There is already a "Women of Stargate Thunk Thread" if you want to post on it.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=5068
                        *Salutes the secretary of defense for F.O.R.D*

Comment

Originally posted by GateWorld
                          Thunk - The sound made when one hits the ground due to a superb male/female specimen
                          Thats means we dont need a new word, THUNK still applies you just put Sam or whoever instead of said male actor

Lantia home of Atlantis, Lost City of the Ancients

Anyone else going Portsmouth University in the summer?

Comment

Originally posted by BruceDickinson
                            OK, no answer on the question yet, but the word "thunk" is a bit confusing....

Here's a definition I found:

So, not only do you ladies think these guys are hot, but you want to "convert" them to 32-bit?! You make me sick!

Seriously though, has a phrase been made for woman pic posts or what?

If not, I coin the term "WOW"

Here's the definition:
                            You didnt look very hard opn dictionary.com

thunk1 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (thngk)
                            n.
                            A dull, hollow sound: the thunk of a metal pipe striking a tree.

in otherwords a sound lol
                            Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
                            McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
                              We're a (fairly) harmless bunch. Lurk in the threads for a while and watch the experts.
                              I'm sure you guys have your own particular version of THUNK. The reaction to HOT is universal.

THUNK - the sound / action made when one's jaw/head/body hits the keyboard/desk/floor at the sight of a particularily nice pic.

Happy THUNKING Gentlemen.
                              You're never too old to do something goofy.
                              sigpic
                              Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

Comment

Working...
                              X