Civilizations or Animals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Civilizations or Animals

Half the fun of stargate is the chance to explore the galaxy and meet new alien races. But, alien races don't necessarily have to be the multi-cell, has a culture, speaking perferct english kind. So, which do you prefer? Do you prefer to encounter a new alien civilization with a new culture, language, city, ect? Or, do you prefer to see new alien animals with their own traits to help them survive?

I personally would prefer to see alien animals but that might just be because stargate doesn't show alien animals very often.

sigpic
    Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

alien aliens are usually expensive to make, though CGI costs are going down still (they just put more CGI in to balance that ).

I think both works. It depends on what the story is supposed to be. For horror, truly alien aliens work best

Comment

Either way I'd be fine. I just don't like it when Earth has the most pitiful species compared to other worlds...as a rule. You'd need to justify why dogs on P3X-9980 are immune to everything while Earth dogs get infected from a simple flower. Though Star Trek is probably to blame for this trope.
      By Nolamom
      sigpic

Comment

Watching Classic Who makes me realize how much CGI is being used these days to show aliens or alien animals/monsters. And I have to admit that I do like the classic use of puppeteering and models, except for the dodgy dinosaurs in Jon Pertwee's Invasion of the Dinosaurs -- those are simply dodgy, especially the T-Rex.

Anyway, which would I prefer to see more of... I think both. Alien civilizations, and everything about it. we are on another planet, so there bound to be different sort of animals around too. I mean, look at Avatar.
        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Even mix for me. I would like some more actually alien races, such as the retoo, or the sakarin (scorched earth), but i would also like more mundane animals, such as that Rankor like critter in SGU

Comment

I would have liked some more alien creatures with influence on the plot - but perhaps the writers wanted it this way whatever the reasons.
            CARPE DIEM
            ANJA

Comment

Originally posted by Anja View Post
              I would have liked some more alien creatures with influence on the plot - but perhaps the writers wanted it this way whatever the reasons.
              CGI is expensive

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                CGI is expensive
                Indeed - and that's rather restricting some times. Too bad...

Comment

CGI is expensive
                  I know. Better no CGI than bad ones
                  CARPE DIEM
                  ANJA

Comment

I know. Better no CGI than bad ones
                    Well you could also invest the money in some nice props, space scenes or that cool actor. Spending it on animals is not a very efficient way, pretty much.

Comment

Well you could also invest the money in some nice props, space scenes or that cool actor. Spending it on animals is not a very efficient way, pretty much.
                      Yeah but those who like animals of any kinds would have liked to see more - that's no crime, isn't it?
                      CARPE DIEM
                      ANJA

Comment

Yeah but those who like animals of any kinds would have liked to see more - that's no crime, isn't it?
                        We could always haul that one actor in a rubber suit and have him/her play the alien animal.

If Doctor Who can do it, so can Stargate.

Comment

I was just explaining why we don't see many CGI animals. Making good CGI animals is expensive, and the same money could be used for more impactful things. SGU had an alien animal episode, by the way.

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                          If Doctor Who can do it, so can Stargate.
                          I don't really watch Dr Who but i always got the impression that the budget look was part of what people like about it.

Comment

I don't really watch Dr Who but i always got the impression that the budget look was part of what people like about it.
                            True... nevertheless, they have some pretty awesome stuff.

Comment

Working...
                            X