New Who 10th anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Who 10th anniversary

Is it gonna happen or ain't it? BTW, here's something potential I found on YouTube.
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Wow, great edditing work. Love it.
    Nobody asked me, if I wanted to live. So don't anyone tell me how I shoul lead my life.

Comment

Eccelston, Tennant, and Smith (presumably with Capaldi), all in 1 show?

Forget about it.

Frankly, despite the cameo, I don't see them having Smith back for a proper guest spot, not this year or next, because Capaldi needs his time in the spotlight.

That said - McGann I could see coming back... because to the new audience, he's just that guy from that prequel on YouTube... And thus I don't think would "steal" too much from Capaldi... (Well, he would, cos McGann's amazing... )
      back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
      "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
      "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
      and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
        Eccelston, Tennant, and Smith (presumably with Capaldi), all in 1 show?

Forget about it.

Frankly, despite the cameo, I don't see them having Smith back for a proper guest spot, not this year or next, because Capaldi needs his time in the spotlight.

That said - McGann I could see coming back... because to the new audience, he's just that guy from that prequel on YouTube... And thus I don't think would "steal" too much from Capaldi... (Well, he would, cos McGann's amazing... )
        All they have to do really is do a good tribute on the last 9 years. There's no rule saying old Doctors need to come back.
        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
          All they have to do really is do a good tribute on the last 9 years. There's no rule saying old Doctors need to come back.
          So in other words it would just be a re-hash of the 50th Ann?
          I like Sharky
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
            So in other words it would just be a re-hash of the 50th Ann?
            Every previous Doctor is an old one in my book. But good one.
            No, I mean a really, really good story that explores the show's past in its themes. Something like Survival.

Comment

In fairness, the 10th anniversary of the relaunch is meaningless from an in-show perspective.

I have no interest in celebrating it. For those of us old-school fans, Doctor Who has been going for a lot longer. The relaunch was great and all, and has done a wonderful thing for the franchise, but it shouldn't receive a special episode tribute. At most, maybe a special episode of Doctor Who Confidential that brings together the production staff and actors for interviews, but NOT a special episode.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I'd rather have a good Capaldi two part episode.
                sigpic
                Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                  In fairness, the 10th anniversary of the relaunch is meaningless from an in-show perspective.

I have no interest in celebrating it. For those of us old-school fans, Doctor Who has been going for a lot longer. The relaunch was great and all, and has done a wonderful thing for the franchise, but it shouldn't receive a special episode tribute. At most, maybe a special episode of Doctor Who Confidential that brings together the production staff and actors for interviews, but NOT a special episode.
                  You old-school fans should celebrate it the most. For newbies like me, it introduced us to a wonderful new universe. But to you, it brought back an old friend you thought was long dead.
                  And as I said above, the story doesn't have to directly involve the show's past in its plot(perhaps a guest appearance of Jack Harkness), much less bring back any Doctors. It just has to be good, and kind of sum up our feelings about the return.

That's why I love Survival. Besides bringing back the Master, it's got really nothing to do with the show's history. But it's a great story, one that really explores the alien world and the relationship between the Doctor and his companion. Plus, there's a moment where the Doctor tries to bash the Master's head in, which coincidentally matches a similar scene in the very first story of the programme.

I want the 10th anniversary to be something akin to that.

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                    You old-school fans should celebrate it the most. For newbies like me, it introduced us to a wonderful new universe. But to you, it brought back an old friend you thought was long dead.
                    And as I said above, the story doesn't have to directly involve the show's past in its plot(perhaps a guest appearance of Jack Harkness), much less bring back any Doctors. It just has to be good, and kind of sum up our feelings about the return.

That's why I love Survival. Besides bringing back the Master, it's got really nothing to do with the show's history. But it's a great story, one that really explores the alien world and the relationship between the Doctor and his companion. Plus, there's a moment where the Doctor tries to bash the Master's head in, which coincidentally matches a similar scene in the very first story of the programme.

I want the 10th anniversary to be something akin to that.
                    I'm not denying the importance of the relaunch, but Doctor Who was far from dead - it just wasn't on TV. I was introduced to Doctor Who as a child through VHS episodes rented from the local library, reruns of the ****ty Cushing movies, books that my dad bought me, and most importantly, the Paul McGann movie. I am very grateful for the relaunch, but to me, unlike fifty years of time and space, 10 years of a relaunch is different. I'd rather see a celebration from an out of universe perspective - like a DW Confidential Special as discussed, rather than revisiting plots or characters that are only recently off our screen.

Though I could accept a Trials and Tribbleations style ep focusing on the S1's 'Rose'.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

The first thought that comes to mind is that its too soon after doing the 50th. It would seem like they would just be trying to cash in.

2nd thought is that it would just be the 50th all over because Eccelston wouldn't show for it and it would probably just screw up the shows continuity even more.

3rd thought it is just another stake to separate the Old Fans from the NuFans.
                      I like Sharky
                      sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't object to a marathon of 9th Doctor episodes. Maybe a fun mini episode too.
                        sigpic

Comment

BBCA just did an entire run through of the NuSeries. Which they do quite often really.
                          I like Sharky
                          sigpic

Comment

It needn't be anything special but let them mark it by doing something special by all means... Just hopefully not something as cheesey as they did for Journey's End. A new series villain return would be cool too. Preferably one from season 1.
                            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                              BBCA just did an entire run through of the NuSeries. Which they do quite often really.
                              Yes, well... never mind then. I go back to my idea of a new two part story.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X