Could the Doctor be a meddler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could the Doctor be a meddler?

Could it be argued that the Doctor is the biggest meddler in the universe(s) changing events as he sees fit, according to his version of how history should play out?
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Pretty much. Then again, he is a Time Lord and knows how history should play out. Unless it's a bit rewritten...
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
      Pretty much. Then again, he is a Time Lord and knows how history should play out. Unless it's a bit rewritten...

I guess but watching the shows over the years this is one of those questions I've always wondered about..

Comment

It could be argued that the Doctor is a meddler...

Certainly it could. Cos... he meddles with things all the time.

He often proclaims that it's just the little things that he meddles with... But that's far from always true.

Off top of my head, at 2am in the morning, I can only really think of Waters of Mars as being an episode where the Doctor REALLY specifically and absolutely tried not to interfere...

Often though, and this may well be the case more than anyone knows, the Time Lords may well have a nice little wall chart of universal events that they systematically remote control the Doctor's TARDIS into, so that he can meddle... because they themselves can't - ie Brain of Morbius, etc.

I guess the difference is that the Doctor meddles (mostly) on what we perceive to be the "good" side of the equation.... Whereas the Master, Rani, Time Meddler, etc, all are just meddling for their own bigger goals...
        back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
        "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
        "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
        and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post

He often proclaims that it's just the little things that he meddles with... But that's far from always true.

Off top of my head, at 2am in the morning, I can only really think of Waters of Mars as being an episode where the Doctor REALLY specifically and absolutely tried not to interfere...

Often though, and this may well be the case more than anyone knows, the Time Lords may well have a nice little wall chart of universal events that they systematically remote control the Doctor's TARDIS into, so that he can meddle... because they themselves can't - ie Brain of Morbius, etc.

I guess the difference is that the Doctor meddles (mostly) on what we perceive to be the "good" side of the equation.... Whereas the Master, Rani, Time Meddler, etc, all are just meddling for their own bigger goals...

I actually think the TARDIS directs him to where he's needed. I mean she said as much when she had a body in "The Doctor's Wife."

Plus it's always been my interpretation that the TARDIS is more then just a machine as shown in that episode, and that it knows more about history and time/space then even the Time Lords..... In fact I'd say the same for all TARDISes

Comment

Yes, he meddles, but normally seems to be stopping those who are trying to pervert the cause of space/time...

Comment

I think since the NuWHO series started the Doctor has gone far FAR beyond being a "mere" meddler.
              I like Sharky
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                I think since the NuWHO series started the Doctor has gone far FAR beyond being a "mere" meddler.

How so?

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                  How so?
                  After three universe reboots and taking celebrities through time and being "the good wizard" in every legend, you really need to ask? It's actually a miracle that Earth's future still exists and no one's taken advantage of the HOARDS of alien tech.
                  "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

After three universe reboots and taking celebrities through time and being "the good wizard" in every legend, you really need to ask? It's actually a miracle that Earth's future still exists and no one's taken advantage of the HOARDS of alien tech.

3 reboots of the universe? Where? The pandorica is the only one I really remember.......

And alien tech? None gets left behind as far as I know..

Comment

3 reboots of the universe? Where? The pandorica is the only one I really remember.......

And alien tech? None gets left behind as far as I know..
                      Considering the amount of aliens on Earth over the years, of course there's gonna be littering. Remember the Immortality Gate?
                      In Series 6, time broke down and was subsequently rebooted so it never happened. In Series 7, the universe started to end when the Great Intelligence rewrote the Doctor's history. Clara's subsequent handy work rebooted it so that never happened.

Comment

Considering the amount of aliens on Earth over the years, of course there's gonna be littering. Remember the Immortality Gate?
                        In Series 6, time broke down and was subsequently rebooted so it never happened. In Series 7, the universe started to end when the Great Intelligence rewrote the Doctor's history. Clara's subsequent handy work rebooted it so that never happened.

Ah the Great Intelligence thing..... Never paid much interest in that part of the story....

Comment

Ah the Great Intelligence thing..... Never paid much interest in that part of the story....
                          I think he's a brilliant villain. I mean seriously, an ancient, invisible network of thoughts? How budget-saving is that?! The potential is beyond measure here. And Richard E. Grant was awesome. But it's like they just kinda dropped him after The Bells Of St. John. They could've used him in the Cyberman episode instead of the Planner(even if that ep was so awesome anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post

Of course he could be a meddler, but probably not initially of his own doing. Most of the time, he just walks into a certain situation, says "Hi! I'm The Doctor" and then he often ends up getting into huge amounts of trouble, which he has to find a way out of mostly to save himself to continue into another episode for the Tv series.

I actually think the TARDIS directs him to where he's needed. I mean she said as much when she had a body in "The Doctor's Wife."

Plus it's always been my interpretation that the TARDIS is more then just a machine as shown in that episode, and that it knows more about history and time/space then even the Time Lords.....
                            Yep, that part too..!

Comment

How so?
                              mmmmyeah pretty much that.
                              I like Sharky
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X