TrekGate (Germany) Canceled (Sept 2014)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TrekGate (Germany) Canceled (Sept 2014)

Don't know if anyone was planning on going to this but the event has been cancelled due to funding issues. (seems to be a problem lately)

David Hewlett, one of the guests tweeted this:
    "Flights booked, bags packed…Upset to hear that this weekend's TrekGate is officially cancelled…I'm so sorry Germany! http://www.trekgatetoyourstar.com"

The organizers posted this on their page:

TrekGate – End of a story2010 an idea growed to a convention – 2014 all this ends in ruins.It started with a lot of enthusiasm and it ends now.We tried all we could to save the event, but we have to tell you now, that it will not happen. WIth the end of TrekGate a dream ends. It was a 4 years fight to give Star Trek and Stargate fans a great show. We put 4 years full of energy and private hold money in all this.But now we can’t anymore. There were not enough ticketorders, we can’t definitely say why. There is no more private held money, that we can put into TrekGate.It hurts us deeply, to know all the anger and disappointement of all of you, Fans, Agents, Actors and all oft he involved people, because it was also our dream.We fought until the last second to make it happen anyway, but we failed.As you might ask now for the refund, we first have to get an overview over all. As the payments have been used for different things to pay in advance, we first have to see, what we might get back from them. After that we can see, how and when we pay back yout money.Give us a little time.
    Roger and Alex
    Chris Judge was one of the other guests.

ETA - other guests were Carmen Argenziano, Robert Picardo
    Last edited by Lythisrose; 27 August 2014, 11:11 AM.
    sigpic

I have a couple of friends who were going to this one....gutted for them....
    sigpic
    Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
    MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

yikes! that sounds terrible for all involved! Hope everyone gets their money back eventually.

Comment

Oh wow... I'm so sorry for everyone who wanted to go there and had already bought their tickets.
        Apparently some people spent over 500 EUR on tickets and autograph/photo tickets, and word is that they will not receive their money back since the organizers said the money has already been spent and will be gone due to cancellation fees and all.

That is just incredible to me.
        sigpic

Comment

Another comment about the con from David:
          I'm so sorry that this whole thing fell apart! I still don't entirely understand what happened. I was all set to go, but they pulled the plug at the last minute...I had even changed my fees in order to help make it work for them when we heard they were having financial troubles...I am so sorry, but I really can't get out there at this point.
          This is in response to a fan who asked about it on his YouTube site. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v1yXA5xTtk
          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I don't think it's the actors who are to blame. There was a lot that was very strange about the whole thing: for example that 3 days before they announced it had to be cancelled, they apparently invited/announced another guest star.
            Those guys apparently really suck when it comes to financial planning...

I just feel sorry for all the people who responded to their facebook announcement a couple of months back where they asked to please buy most of the photograph/autograph tickets in advance so that they can get more money. Cause everybody who did now just send their money metaphorically down the drain...
            sigpic

Comment

Any chance this was a con, as opposed to a Con?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by min min light View Post
                Any chance this was a con, as opposed to a Con?
                Well, it has happened since 2010. It wasn't a big con here in Germany, but it was a somewhat well-known one. Last year they had Amanda Tapping... so I don't know what happened there.

The organizers said, they had to pay money from their own pockets last year already because they couldn't cover the costs. But still... that is usually a big red flag that you gotta do something different in your financial planning - maybe scout for cheaper location, invite fewer stars... something like that.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kimberley Jackson View Post
                  The organizers said, they had to pay money from their own pockets last year already because they couldn't cover the costs. But still... that is usually a big red flag that you gotta do something different in your financial planning - maybe scout for cheaper location, invite fewer stars... something like that.
                  Or just a red flag in general that the organizers are telling people that they're investing and losing their own money, and urging people to pre-pay for more stuff, and when it all folds telling people they can't give their money back? The whole thing sounds hinky to me. But I know nothing of how to run a convention so ...

(Still, if the whole thing never happened what exactly are their expenses?)
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by min min light View Post
                    (Still, if the whole thing never happened what exactly are their expenses?)
                    They would be paying out booking fees to the guests, up front fees to the venue, liability insurance and a whole host of other costs.
                    In addition, since the losses incurred by credit card companies when big events have failed in the past, (Michael Jackson, for instance) organisers have a lot more hoops to jump through to satisfy the financial industry.
                    sigpic

Comment

Ah ok. Thanks for explaining.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X