Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would happen if the Stargate went public?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would happen if the Stargate went public?

There are already plenty of threads asking whether or not the stargate should go public. This one asks what do you think would happen if it does? I'm not asking should it or should it not? I'm asking what is the result when it does.

Means doesn't matter. The Big Five governments are aware of the stargate. Now, it is revealed to all the other nations and countries, governments and citizens, of the existence of this stargate. What will happen?
    Last edited by StargateMillennium; 27 August 2014, 07:36 AM.

sigpic
    Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

The biggest problem here is how would the public react to the reveal. Either our characters from all three series end up being accepted as heroes or rejected by the public as criminals.
    Not to mention everyone else who is involved with the Stargate program: the SGC personal, SG Homeworld in Washington, the President himself and anyone who was involved with the program somehow but wasn't mentioned in the show.

The World would change for sure. The technology would become advanced beyond anyone's imagination and most of it would only be available for trained and qualified people only. The science would blossom for sure as would the medicine. Not to mention weaponry.

Politics around the World would immensely change. Stargate would become available to everyone. I'm guessing that the big 5 governments would each have their own Stargate somehow and the military of those countries would be doing their own missions, sometimes even in crossover with each other. They would need to be in contact 24/7 so they wouldn't interfere with each other's missions and avoid making an intergalactic mess. Atlantis and Destiny would probably become military bases or something.

Long story short, our beloved characters would be replaced by those who would do THEIR job JUST for the money. There'd be no more "I love doing Stargate missions" thing as the big 5 governments would just start selling their own intergalactic crap intergalactically.

Comment

Originally posted by Mnikolic View Post
      The biggest problem here is how would the public react to the reveal. Either our characters from all three series end up being accepted as heroes or rejected by the public as criminals.
      Not to mention everyone else who is involved with the Stargate program: the SGC personal, SG Homeworld in Washington, the President himself and anyone who was involved with the program somehow but wasn't mentioned in the show.

The World would change for sure. The technology would become advanced beyond anyone's imagination and most of it would only be available for trained and qualified people only. The science would blossom for sure as would the medicine. Not to mention weaponry.

Politics around the World would immensely change. Stargate would become available to everyone. I'm guessing that the big 5 governments would each have their own Stargate somehow and the military of those countries would be doing their own missions, sometimes even in crossover with each other. They would need to be in contact 24/7 so they wouldn't interfere with each other's missions and avoid making an intergalactic mess. Atlantis and Destiny would probably become military bases or something.

Long story short, our beloved characters would be replaced by those who would do THEIR job JUST for the money. There'd be no more "I love doing Stargate missions" thing as the big 5 governments would just start selling their own intergalactic crap intergalactically.
      So you think that the world will be able to (to some degree) come together with knowledge of the stargate. 'Cause, personally, I wonder if the stargate will tell the world to put aside their conflicts or simply tell them that they need to resolve them faster IE: warring groups will throw everything they have at the other side to win as soon as possible, cease fires will end so they can get determine a victor, ect.

sigpic

Comment

Well first off, there will be one heck of a threat of war, from all the NON IOA member countries, about why/how this secret was kept for so long.
        Then you would also have major upheavals in all religions, especially the 3 main ones (christanity, judaism, and islam) after the knowledge of many of our religions were based on info given cause of what the Gou'ald did/other aliens.
        You would also get many countries demanding/trying to steal tech, to the point many of our heroes of the shows would need to be kept on base to protect them.
        I could also see several businesses banding together to try and get the public to vote the powers that be in office, out for a more willing politician who will let the gate and everyting made from it/found, be released into the common tech sphere.

Take a look at the ep the road not taken for an idea of how things could get.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
          Well first off, there will be one heck of a threat of war, from all the NON IOA member countries, about why/how this secret was kept for so long.
          Well the main defensive arguments are:

*to keep Earth safe.
          *to use "emergency powers" (IE the freedom of no political hassle) to deal with the Goa'uld
          *to protect the public from an unnecessary panic (after all, we stood no chance against the goa'uld)
          *it all worked and we're safe.

Whether this is enough is anyone's guess. However, the russians and chinese are in the IOA so all major powerbases are represented.

Then you would also have major upheavals in all religions, especially the 3 main ones (christanity, judaism, and islam) after the knowledge of many of our religions were based on info given cause of what the Gou'ald did/other aliens.
          The Goa'uld took on the mantle of gods, they didn't fill in our religions. Well, to be precise, they took on the mantle AND filled in some stuff. On the whole however, i think religions will largely do the following:

*deny any implications of alien interaction. While "jesus was an ancient" is never confirmed, it's heavily implied. Creationists deny evolution despite overwhelming evidence, but shouting loud and maintaining ignorance has worked on a great many occasions so it will now.

*Maintain that Earth is the "chosen planet". In a way, it is since the Ancients made it their capital (landing first in Dakara tho) and the Goa'uld found new power here. Also, holy texts speak of "Earth" not any other planet.

*try to spread their religion to other places.

A probably very interesting side-effect is that other (alien!) religions would pretty much feel the same thing and try to spread it to earth. The theological landscape is definitely going to be a whole lot richer.

You would also get many countries demanding/trying to steal tech
          True, with some technologies. I'll dedicate a second post to why it's best for the public to dump it into a black hole. However, it'll definitely be a hot issue. centuries of research are now suddenly nullified and basically huge amounts of money will flow down the drain.

I could also see several businesses banding together to try and get the public to vote the powers that be in office, out for a more willing politician who will let the gate and everyting made from it/found, be released into the common tech sphere.
          I don't think there's much to say here. basically buisness as usual.

Take a look at the ep the road not taken for an idea of how things could get.
          I think there's a small but major difference:

in the road not taken, we'd just shaken off a major attack.

In the current timeline, the only threat is the Lucian Alliance. And the LA has no interest in a war with Earth. The whole deal is reactionary. the LA's buisness first and foremost is "the rest of the galaxy" not "bring earth to it's knees".

In the end however, i think it'll remove Earth from the galactic playground for possibly a decade, as a LOT of things have to be figured out. How to represent Earth to the galaxy, how to deal with alien tech, etc. In the mind of many aliens, SG1== Earth and while Earth has made a good name for itself, the concept of many nations (especially our 200+) is extremely alien to many planets. Nations acting on their own is going to be one hell of a hot issue.

Lastly there's planet grabbing. With ~23 uninhabited, stargateless worlds ( "midway") in the MW, grabbing one and claiming it is going to be a very popular act.

Comment

True, grabbing planets will be something i can easily see, what with "Manifest destiny" pushing people. BUT how would they get there?
            No gates as mentioned, and i doubt that the SGC would allow the 304's to be used to ferry people back and fourth.

Comment

True, grabbing planets will be something i can easily see, what with "Manifest destiny" pushing people. BUT how would they get there?
              No gates as mentioned, and i doubt that the SGC would allow the 304's to be used to ferry people back and fourth.
              China has a 304. Russia had one. Given the apparent resources required (it was done in secret after all), we can easily foresee the 304 production becoming 10x greater. Especially once places like Russia and China (and Europe) are fed up being solely dependent on the americans and build their own sites.

Comment

It was never stated that China had a 304
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  It was never stated that China had a 304
                  The Sun Tzu belongs to China.

But, if they were going to ferry people with space ships, I think they would design a ship specifically made to do this instead of using their battle cruisers. But, I can imagine governments throwing fits that other countries can already colonize space because they have the resources while they can't because a lack of thereof. And if countries that can build 304's decide to make one for another country, then whoever hates that country receiving the 304 will throw a fit too.

sigpic

Comment

Its never been proven that the Sun Tzu belongs to China. EATG just stated that it was one of our ships
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

It was confirmed by Joseph Mallozzi in his web blog.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...e-of-laudanum/

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
                        But, if they were going to ferry people with space ships, I think they would design a ship specifically made to do this instead of using their battle cruisers. But, I can imagine governments throwing fits that other countries can already colonize space because they have the resources while they can't because a lack of thereof. And if countries that can build 304's decide to make one for another country, then whoever hates that country receiving the 304 will throw a fit too.
                        True, i would consider the creation of a "liberty ship" to be almost a no-brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
                          It was confirmed by Joseph Mallozzi in his web blog.

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...e-of-laudanum/
                          JM's web blog is not canon. He has had one idea about the show in the past on his blog only to be contradicted later
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            JM's web blog is not canon. He has had one idea about the show in the past on his blog only to be contradicted later
                            Why do you think it's non-canon? I don't mean any offense, but it is generally agreed by fans, and seen on the Stargate Wiki, which everyone agrees to be canon (though not pages that are marked as non-canon, such as Infinity). This is just like the fact that each stargate has a unique point of origin instead of the Earth symbol, even though it was never truly confirmed.

But back on topic:

I think it's a bit of both. Since the major powers on Earth has knowledge of the stargate and everyone agrees to let the US run it (for now), I think that politically, it wouldn't be that big. Even now, most governments know about the stargate and it continued to run as it always did.

But I do think there would be mass panic. People would panic about the fact that our planet has survived countless alien attacks, not to mention countless disasters on Earth itself (black hole, foothold, weather device, etc.). Strong religious people would disavow alien existence and would try hard to "protect" their way of life and devotion. Nations or groups that were against the West would most likely become more violent, now they know that we have all that advanced technology.

Then there are the geeks who start applying to be accepted in the program, realizing that everything they live for were always real.

Comment

I am agree with some of your points of view, there are so many stargate episodes where we can see what could happen if SGC makes the Stargate Project public, it would be a disaster for Tauri civilization and my point of view I think if they make public the Stargate project it would be like another tv show about police and villains stories, on the other side, when the Project Stargate is secret, SGC teams have more important missions and a great task for to save de world.

Comment

Working...
                              X