Cheyenne Mountain Defence inadequate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it can, they're a defensive fleet they'll be in orbit anyway
    If all they were concerned about was defense then they'd build defense satellites. The purpose of their fleet is to allow them to take take the fight to their enemies and support SG teams when needed. Again, they have a handful of ships and interests in two galaxies. If an enemy is mounting an attack on a planet in the Milky Way or a partially formed Super Hive is on its way do you really think it's a good idea that they hinder their preemptive strike capabilities? A fleet of ships or a sufficiently powerful ship can do massive damage to Earth before it is taken out and therefore it is critical that they be able to confront threats away from Earth in the hopes of beating them before they ever reach Earth.

they have the asguard beams so they can just seal the room
    I'm not sure what Asgard beams have to do with being able to seal a room, but do you remember the Atlantis episode, "Travelers?" Do you recall how Larrin used her weapon to shoot through the wall of the Ancient ship and escape the room that Shepard locked her in? In light of that and the oh so many examples of doors being forced open/hacked do you really think sealing a room on an Earth built ship is a sufficient form of defense against invaders intent on stealing Asgard technology?

and would u rather they just are able to circumvent the ships altogether if they can take it down they could have taken down the sgc if the gate was there and it would also stop deceases from spreading of the base
    The SGC has been raided for information and technology on numerous occasions. Remember the time Ba'al got hands on the list of Ancient gate addresses? Add actual Asgard technology into the mix and it's a disaster waiting to happen.

If we're going to say that they should put a Stargate in space, the goal should not be to turn an existing 304 into a new SGC but to build a space station (like the Midway station) free of Asgard technology and designed specifically with defense against Stargate invaders in mind. I don't know that's the best solution for an alternative SGC but it's better than the 304 SGC plan.
    Last edited by Xaeden; 27 April 2015, 04:29 PM.

Comment

My issue with SGC security has less to do with earth and more that the problems happen when they go to a strange planet. They leave a team to cover the gate with personal weapons. Why not send a few malps rigged with quad or dual .50s or M-136 mini guns. Regarding the alpha site armored hummvs would nicely fit through the gate or something similar. There were a number of options that would have looked cool for tv while also being practical especially for a world with out an iris.

Comment

Yeah the leaving the gate unguarded was definitely a flaw in tactics, even though when thy did leave it guarded those guys usually got toasted.
        The thing that would have been the most effective is having armaments behind the stargate, when the gate goes off you could kill whatever came through before they knew what was going on.
        Also, the weirdness of not having the stargate lead into a decon chamber, it would have saved tons of people in the show, all they had to do is make the entire room one big isolation section.

It was always funny that they walked through the entire base to get to the medical follow ups carrying anything hazardous, not to mention what things could have got on their weapons or clothes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattyhull View Post
          My issue with SGC security has less to do with earth and more that the problems happen when they go to a strange planet. They leave a team to cover the gate with personal weapons. Why not send a few malps rigged with quad or dual .50s or M-136 mini guns. Regarding the alpha site armored hummvs would nicely fit through the gate or something similar. There were a number of options that would have looked cool for tv while also being practical especially for a world with out an iris.
          Mind you, there were budgetary constraints that limited the portrayal of tactics on screen. For example, it's been asked before why they didn't use vehicles off-world (in addition to your scenario, they could have sent vehicles from the Alpha Site to meet up with where the SGC sent an SG team whenever they needed one) and the answer is that it was not cost effective. Even for a one off, you have to realize that it's not necessarily all that easy to get an armored vehicle. Movies often are able to get those things on loan from the military, but they're not going to ship vehicles up to Canada for a TV show to use (apparently they also couldn't get help from the Canadian military) and it's not like they have money to go to where the vehicles are and build the whole Alpha Site set there and then transport the actors back and forth. Alternatively, they'd have to find a private company that has something resembling what they want and pay to rent it. In addition to the rental costs, I don't know if there are viable sources for that type of thing in the area. If it were the U.S., the Nowheresville police station would have an armored vehicle that they'd maybe let them use thanks to the Pentagon-to-police transfer program, but it wasn't shot in the U.S. (and also the program was started the same year the show went off the air).

Comment

Not to mention reassembling the vehicle on the other side, if it wasn't sent there by ship, if it was too big to go through the gate.

Comment

I understand the tv shows limitations. I feel there could have been a better showing from the U.S. Military. I mean the Jaffa had emplacements for crew served staff batteries. Couldn't the humans do the same especially where the tau'ri presence was supposed to be permanent. Ie the alpha site.

Comment

The difference though is that the Jaffa were using them to fire on Sg-1. Paying construction/transport/storage costs for a prop that serves to create an action scene is easier to justify than paying rental/transport costs for something that will just sit there as a glorified paper weight. While you and I appreciate that sort of detail, it's not the background items that sell the show and so diverting money to them is not as high a priority as some other things.

Comment

Working...
                X