This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Series 7 of Doctor Who (DVD)....... My thoughts

Series 7, the one I don't really care much for..

Got it for $32 at Amazon + shipping so thought it was a bargain.

Only a few episodes I liked

Asylum Of The Daleks
    The Power Of Three
    Cold War
    Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS
    Nightmare In Silver
    The Name Of The Doctor

The other half of the episodes I felt kind of stank.......

BTW there was a BBC special "The Women Of Doctor Who" does anyone know if it is on any of the DVD sets?

This one has "The Science Of Doctor Who" as a bonus among a ton of other stuff.
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Was the second half of the series actually a bit better then? The combination of 'Angels take Manhatten' and 'The Snowmen' drove me away from Doctor Who until the 50th Anniversary Special.

Just my luck if those turned out to be the good episodes of the series.
    sigpic
    Banner By JME2

Comment

Well I can't really answer your question.

Nightmare in Silver and The Name Of The Doctor are the final two episodes of series 7 and they were good.

The 50th is a stand alone special. I actually didn't mind that one. It was good.

Comment

Dinosaurs In A Spaceship
        The Power Of Three
        The Snowmen
        Nightmare In Silver

were the only spectacular episodes of the season. The rest ranged from decent - Rings Of Akhaten - to abysmal - Asylum Of The Daleks.

But at least it wasn't the nonsense we got in Series 6 about mixed-up time and season-spanning time loops and other such crap.
        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

I confess I still think series 5 and 6 were better on the whole but I still absolutely adore series 7. Rings of Akhaten, Nightmare in Silver and Cold War are three of my all time favourite DW episodes (I grant that this particular list is very long)... and that's before I even get to the Name, Day and Time trilogy which I can never get enough of.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
            Dinosaurs In A Spaceship
            The Power Of Three
            The Snowmen
            Nightmare In Silver

were the only spectacular episodes of the season. The rest ranged from decent - Rings Of Akhaten - to abysmal - Asylum Of The Daleks.

But at least it wasn't the nonsense we got in Series 6 about mixed-up time and season-spanning time loops and other such crap.

I like others thoughts. Why didn't you like Asylum Of The Daleks?

My only gripe on that one was "Dalek Council" like really? you gotta be kidding..... That bit threw me.

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
              I like others thoughts. Why didn't you like Asylum Of The Daleks?

My only gripe on that one was "Dalek Council" like really? you gotta be kidding..... That bit threw me.
              It completely ignored Dalek history(but not in a good way like Genesis) and turned them into hatred-loving bureaucrats(Dalek Prime Minister? REALLY?!) with an asylum planet that none of the RTD era Daleks bothered to look into for reinforcements or that the Doctor never found despite making sure no Daleks survived.

And didn't the Moffat Daleks hate the RTD Daleks? Totally forgotten. Besides, the episode promised to bring back every Dalek in DW history and then just gives us a crapton of RTD Daleks and a few old ones in the shadows.

The Ponds love story should've ended way back in Series 5 or at least, Series 6.
              Then there's the nanogenes. How does it cause a Dalek eyestalk to pop out of someone's head? The Dalek travel machines aren't a part of them! And what's the point of that, anyway? They have eyes!

It's just so stupid. To be fair, I did like the Clara story.
              "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
                It completely ignored Dalek history(but not in a good way like Genesis) and turned them into hatred-loving bureaucrats(Dalek Prime Minister? REALLY?!) with an asylum planet that none of the RTD era Daleks bothered to look into for reinforcements or that the Doctor never found despite making sure no Daleks survived.

And didn't the Moffat Daleks hate the RTD Daleks? Totally forgotten. Besides, the episode promised to bring back every Dalek in DW history and then just gives us a crapton of RTD Daleks and a few old ones in the shadows.

The Ponds love story should've ended way back in Series 5 or at least, Series 6.
                Then there's the nanogenes. How does it cause a Dalek eyestalk to pop out of someone's head? The Dalek travel machines aren't a part of them! And what's the point of that, anyway? They have eyes!

It's just so stupid. To be fair, I did like the Clara story.
                Just because the Daleks are using two different armour types it doesn't mean the Dalek inside them isn't impure like the RTD ones were. The Moff Daleks are the most powerful iteration but the RTD design is probably the most effcient and cost effective (in terms of resources) The Daleks are logical so they'll stick with what works.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                  Just because the Daleks are using two different armour types it doesn't mean the Dalek inside them isn't impure like the RTD ones were. The Moff Daleks are the most powerful iteration but the RTD design is probably the most effcient and cost effective (in terms of resources) The Daleks are logical so they'll stick with what works.
                  Besides, class divide is not a new thing in the Dalek race... heck, a whole portion of their history was defined by a civil war. Imagine if the time-war era daleks came over all communist and led a revolt against the dalek elite....

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                    Besides, class divide is not a new thing in the Dalek race... heck, a whole portion of their history was defined by a civil war. Imagine if the time-war era daleks came over all communist and led a revolt against the dalek elite....
                    The Civil war could possibly be a prime reason why these Daleks opted to have a Parliament. Again it's logical since if the Daleks recognize that they keep going to war with eachother because of how they are led then they may try to give a form of Democracy a go. Keeping in mind that Parliamentary Democracy can still keep a great deal of power towards its figurehead. It's a very fluid and adaptive system.

Comment

The Civil war could possibly be a prime reason why these Daleks opted to have a Parliament. Again it's logical since if the Daleks recognize that they keep going to war with eachother because of how they are led then they may try to give a form of Democracy a go. Keeping in mind that Parliamentary Democracy can still keep a great deal of power towards its figurehead. It's a very fluid and adaptive system.

Daleks seem quite single minded. Why would they fight each other?

Comment

Daleks seem quite single minded. Why would they fight each other?
                        When you have a large body of creatures who want universal domination and are bred to have ambition and crave conquest, at some point an ego will develop and there'll be differing perspectives on HOW to achieve the end state. The Dalek Civil war from the classic days was at one point down to one lot of daleks genetically enhancing themselves, and the others wanting to remain 'pure'.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                          When you have a large body of creatures who want universal domination and are bred to have ambition and crave conquest, at some point an ego will develop and there'll be differing perspectives on HOW to achieve the end state. The Dalek Civil war from the classic days was at one point down to one lot of daleks genetically enhancing themselves, and the others wanting to remain 'pure'.

Oh my.........

Yet they never wiped themselves out

Comment

Oh my.........

Yet they never wiped themselves out
                            If left to their own devices they might have done... But The Doctor got involved.

Comment

And since they have a hive mind, why even "discuss" things? Daleks should have an Emperor and stick with that. Democracy does NOT suit them, nor is it even remotely in-character.
                              Why would they need to be so efficient when they can be superior? Daleks conquer everything: they'd surely find resources to make more Moff Daleks.

Comment

Working...
                              X