X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"River Song: The Archaeologist in High Heels"

G'day,

Would you watch a River Song spin-off?

Would you want to see her revert to her (frankly much better) "Library" persona, or Moffat's later "lady of mystery"?

Would you expect the Doctor to appear - at least now and then?

Just curious... I really liked River in the library, but not so much after that. However if they eased up on that later "development", I could see myself enjoying it.

(This is <I>pure<\i> flight of fancy - not debating the realities of such a spin off happening.)

Cheers

cosmic
    back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
    "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
    and lots more!

Not really. I found her really annoying most of the time. Besides, I'm not a spin-off kinda guy. Doctor Who is big enough on it's own.
    "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

I liked River (also can't tell the difference between Library River and later River as you put it) but no I wouldn't want a spin-off. I don't really think a Doctor Who Spin-off of any variety can work.

The point of a spin-off is to replicate the same spirit of the original show but with a different setting to expand the Universe a bit. But the Doctor IS the point of the show in the first place so...
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Isn't Torchwood and Sarah Jane Chronicles considered spin-offs of Doctor Who?

I liked River but I don't think there would be much of a show with just her... I would watch something that went more into River and the Doctor's relationship. That is not likely to happen, except maybe in comic or novel form.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
          I liked River (also can't tell the difference between Library River and later River as you put it) but no I wouldn't want a spin-off. I don't really think a Doctor Who Spin-off of any variety can work.

The point of a spin-off is to replicate the same spirit of the original show but with a different setting to expand the Universe a bit. But the Doctor IS the point of the show in the first place so...
          Absolute tosh!

Spin offs don't need to replciate the spirit, they need to expand on a PART of that show. Torchwood was a beautiful example of a spin off done right, especially with Miracle Day. The Lone Gunmen was also an excellent example of this (if not succesful). Spin offs don't have to be like Stargate Atlantis which rehashes the core identity, they can be new and bold.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
            Absolute tosh!

Spin offs don't need to replciate the spirit, they need to expand on a PART of that show. Torchwood was a beautiful example of a spin off done right, especially with Miracle Day. The Lone Gunmen was also an excellent example of this (if not succesful). Spin offs don't have to be like Stargate Atlantis which rehashes the core identity, they can be new and bold.
            Miracle day was good, as was Children of Earth. But series 1 and 2 of Torchwood were pretty mediocre. As was most of the Sarah Jane Adventures.

But think about it, how many successful spin-offs are there that are that different from the core show? BSG had Caprica but I'd hardly call that brilliant. The Lone Gunmen was good but as you say, unsuccessful. Millennium did a bit better, though I confess I haven't seen that.

Stepping away from Sci-Fi, you have all of the CSI spin-offs which are near identical to each other yet are hugely popular, while other drama series that try to step away and do something new with a concept usually don't do as well.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

That's because a lot of people are whiney and just want more of the same.

Spin Offs with a different theme are better in quality, even if not popularity.

Maybe it's because I listen to the Big Finish audios, but they have loads of Spin Offs, Dalek Empire, Cyberman, UNIT, Jago & Litefoot, Gallifrey - and they're FANTASTIC!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Look at SGU... it was about as far from SG-1 that you could get, but it was brilliant!
                "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Spin off's in the nature of, say NCIS, L&O and CSI are obstensibly about similar situations, but how a "new crew" would deal with it, so they rely on character chemistry to work. Sometimes it works (L&O and L&O SVU for example) and sometimes it does not.
                  Spin off's like The Lone Gunmen, or Flyboy's Beloved Audio Drama's take an *element* out of a lager tapestry to work with, so while it feels familiar, it is not just a re-skin of the old thing. It allows for a greater depth of........ "universe" which can be -fantastic- if the writers really get the spirit of the universe. DS9 did a great job of this, as did SGA -in S1-.
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

I would LOVE a River Song spin-off, but I'd miss the Doctor playing a part in it (unless they occasionally dropped him in). After all, in most of her DW adventures she was the one going on the adventure, inviting the Doctor to tag along.
                    sigpic
                    My Site || My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by misskitten View Post
                      I would LOVE a River Song spin-off, but I'd miss the Doctor playing a part in it (unless they occasionally dropped him in). After all, in most of her DW adventures she was the one going on the adventure, inviting the Doctor to tag along.
                      That's exactly why I figured she could pull off a spin off... Plenty of adventures to go on... The issue would be that she'd need some regular characters alongside her... which we really don't see in WHO - other than the Library.

Of course, that's not to say she's never had an entourage...
                      back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
                      "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                      "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
                      and lots more!

Comment

Working...
                      X