This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pay to have new SG1 SGA shows produced?

To not waste your time I'll get to the point. I was thinking for a while now if people would pay up front to see television shows that haven't even been made yet? Set aside the thought of someone pulling a scam and running off with millions of dollars and think about of a huge pool of money generated and making big interest all for the production of excellent new sci shows, like SG1 Season 11 and SGA season 6.
    The old way of networks conducting business by someone thinking up a show; a network takes interest in it; network pays to have a pilot made; if the network likes it they try to sell it to advertisers who pay millions of dollars to the network and finally the show is on the air.
    Times have changed as everyone knows. With adblockers being so effective and no foreseeable way to block the ad blockers, and recording devices since all the way back to the Video Cassette Recorder that made fast forwarding past commercials easy, companies selling something are no longer willing to shell out the big bucks. To put is simply television as we know it is in hospice care awaiting death very soon.
    We see Netflix and Amazon making their own shows and movies completly independent. See the simple pattern here.. You pay a little money and days maybe weeks of your life TIME is NOT wasted watching advertisements.
    My belief is the television corporate world is not aware just how HUGE the the crowd of Sci-fi loving people in the world is. I believe millions and millions of people out their are willing to pay a few dollars for a 40 min commercial free new episode of SGA and SG1 and again for each additional episode. BEFORE they are actually filmed. I would.
    I think this idea is where all video into the home is going. I just hope they start by bringing back shows I want to watch. Their is not ONE scifi show I want to watch out there right now. NOT one. Warehouse 13 to me was the last to die with no new shows coming up I want to watch.

I'd say to get all the permanent sets, costumes, etc and the first ep ready it would cost at least $20 million.

If each person gives $10, it would take 2 million people. $20 each needs 1 million people, $1000 each needs 20,000 people, etc.

And then what happens if someone who gave money does not like the episodes or if they decide not to make anymore?

Too many problems with fan-funded projects of this size.

Comment

The best way you can urge new stargate projects to start is to make sure the franchise keeps making money. Buy merchandise, stream episodes often (royalties), be active on social media. You don't need to give producers 20 million, you need them to believe they are going to make way more than 20 million.

Comment

I think it could be done, but it would have to be a co-op created to purchase the rights to create a new SG series or to continue the existing ones. Due to the financial issues that MGM is having I wouldn't be surprised if they would accept of a low ball offer of 1 million per episode and 10% profit share.

Comment

It would be great to see new episodes. Does anyone remember the show where Jack Black has to replace VHS tapes and makes his own versions of the movies?

Comment

I'd pay upfront to fund the production of SG-1 Blu-Ray discs. That's probably my #1 priority. Oh, and also a SGU story that completes their journey. It could be an audio drama. Or book. Or an effing blog post. Just tell us the rest, please! *whew* *takes a deep breath*

Comment

Working...
            X