Why didn't SGA have mythology like SG1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why didn't SGA have mythology like SG1?

I realised today, SG1 had so much mythology behind it, while the only mythology behind SGA was Atlantis, which honesty surprised me since if the story of Atlantis was on Earth you would think the writers would want to include more mythology in SGA. I also think that's one of "many" reasons some people liked sg1 more (i personally like both the same) mythology gave more of something we can personally relate to in some ways.

SGU didn't really have much if any mythology behind it either but that I can understand. Any one have any idea why they didn't include more mythology in SGA?

I also realised today that while SG1 was strong on religious themes, and SGU had the whole question of God interfering or aliens a little bit like BSG did, SGA had next to no religious themes besides people worshipping wraith or the ancients spiritually, this was probably also due to very little mythology in SGA

Would also just like to take this time to thank the community, we may not have stargate anymore at least for now but It's nice that we still have this community to share the memories and ideas with.

There could a number of reasons each one as plausible as the next and none of them being mutually exclusive.

One could be originality. We've seen aliens link to Earth mythology for seven years before getting Atlantis. Some people might have found it stale if they did it on another series for another several years. They might have felt that a spin off should have a slightly different feel and tone.

Another is that they covered a ton of myths and religions in SG1. The Goa'uld had Egyptians, Greek, Roman, Chinese, Indian, even African religion and mythology. The Ancients covered an amount of Chinese, Greek, and even Christian and European mythology. Asgard covered Norse mythology. The Hebridans/Serrakin covered Scottish mythology. SG1 alone covered so much mythology that they would probably have to bring in some of the less well known religions and mythology and find a believable explanation for why it got to Earth.

Which brings me to the next point of how it got to Earth. The different alien races affected Earth because they all acted in the Milky Way. If there was some race that reflected another mythology or religion in Pegasus, how did it affect Earth? Expanding on the mythology provided by the Ancients would also be challenging. A lot of legendary locations are covered by the Goa'uld or are already located/found in Milky Way. Also, since they only have Ancient stuff to work with, the pool of mythology to work with would be much smaller. Having only a handful of mythologies/religions might feel a bit forced or out of place compared to SG1, which encompassed so many it felt natural.

There is no way to know for sure unless a producer told someone but any of these could be a plausible explanation. It's possible all these reasons had a hand.

sigpic
    Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
    https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
      There could a number of reasons each one as plausible as the next and none of them being mutually exclusive.

One could be originality. We've seen aliens link to Earth mythology for seven years before getting Atlantis. Some people might have found it stale if they did it on another series for another several years. They might have felt that a spin off should have a slightly different feel and tone.

Another is that they covered a ton of myths and religions in SG1. The Goa'uld had Egyptians, Greek, Roman, Chinese, Indian, even African religion and mythology. The Ancients covered an amount of Chinese, Greek, and even Christian and European mythology. Asgard covered Norse mythology. The Hebridans/Serrakin covered Scottish mythology. SG1 alone covered so much mythology that they would probably have to bring in some of the less well known religions and mythology and find a believable explanation for why it got to Earth.

Which brings me to the next point of how it got to Earth. The different alien races affected Earth because they all acted in the Milky Way. If there was some race that reflected another mythology or religion in Pegasus, how did it affect Earth? Expanding on the mythology provided by the Ancients would also be challenging. A lot of legendary locations are covered by the Goa'uld or are already located/found in Milky Way. Also, since they only have Ancient stuff to work with, the pool of mythology to work with would be much smaller. Having only a handful of mythologies/religions might feel a bit forced or out of place compared to SG1, which encompassed so many it felt natural.

There is no way to know for sure unless a producer told someone but any of these could be a plausible explanation. It's possible all these reasons had a hand.
      LOL farout that is one hell of an answer, nice work.

Comment

The writers originally planned to have SGA be set on Earth and also, they were going to have Atlantis be the new complex for Stargate operations. However, MGM wouldn't let go of SG-1, so they had to:
        a.) run SG-1 and SGA back-to-back and have the story of SG-1 match SGA's and vice-versa and
        b.) set SGA in a different galaxy.

So my guess is that the plan was to extend all mythologies from SG-1 in the new series and have Atlantis somehow be connected with them. But since they had to set it in another galaxy, they only had to go with the city's mythology and the Wraith one in SGA.

Comment

SG1 was about ancient gods, so we got myths and Goa'ulds. SGA was about the Ancients, they believed in science so we got tech and McKay. SGU was about the greatest mystery of the universe, and we got the wrong people for the job that turned out to be the right people who asked a lot of questions but got little to no answers, except for Rumpelstiltskin that obviously knew the answers before the crew ask the questions.

Comment

100 % agreed and maybe Rush was an Ancient or an Ancient's descendant himself who stayed behind when the others left, lost his memory, lived as a human for thousands of years and when he got to Destiny, everything felt right for him. Kind of explains why was he an ass to everyone on the ship.

Comment

I think SGA galaxy was dominated by the Wraith and they were always present so it did not give people time to make different religions. and their was no Aliens like the Goa'uld pretending to be Gods.

Comment

Originally posted by Founder-Marko View Post
                I think SGA galaxy was dominated by the Wraith and they were always present so it did not give people time to make different religions. and their was no Aliens like the Goa'uld pretending to be Gods.
                the Wraith had worshippers too; dunno whether that means Wraith worshippers believe the Wraith are actually gods
                If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
                [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

The Ancients covered an amount of Chinese, Greek, and even Christian and European mythology.
                  Chinese mythology? can you give an example--I don't recall that at all
                  If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
                  [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

Yu

Comment

Originally posted by StargateWatcher View Post
                      Chinese mythology? can you give an example--I don't recall that at all
                      Lord Yu is suspected to be China's first Emperors
                      Amaterasu, though not Chinese I didn't mention the Japanese too, is a Japanese sun god.

sigpic
                      Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                      https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Lord Yu is suspected to be China's first Emperors
                        Amaterasu, though not Chinese I didn't mention the Japanese too, is a Japanese sun god.
                        That's very true. I know that; but I meant who did the ANCIENTS inspire in Chinese mythology?

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                          Yu
                          Yes; the Go'auld impacted the myth of Yu for CDhinese mythology, but what about THE ANCIENTS having done this, as SGM suggest? Which Chinese mythological figure did they inspire?

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            Yu
                            Yes; the Go'auld impacted the myth of Yu for CDhinese mythology, but what about THE ANCIENTS having done this, as SGM suggest? Which Chinese mythological figure did they inspire?

Comment

please view post #9's quoted text it respond to, if anybody' confused

thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X