X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need to watch Atlantis to understand Season 10 SG-1

Hi,

PRE-AMBLE
    Having only been able to catch odd episodes of SG1 back at the time of broadcast (and therefore often not fully understanding stuff) I have always wanted to watch the series from start to finish. I had a major shoulder operation in June and as this has put me out of action I decided to do just that.

I'm now on Season 10, just started watching Ep 3 which sees SG-1 en-route to Atlantis. There have been odd references to Atlantis before but my question is :-

QUESTION
    Do I need to watch Stargate Atlantis 'alongside' SG-1 Season 10 in order to understand it properly?

My plan is to watch the full series of Atllantis after completing SG-1 (and the 2 films), then Stargate Universe.

Many Thanks

Do you *need* to?
    No, not at all. The references to SGA are pretty limited in SG-1, it's hardly "required reading" type of stuff. Think of it more as an addition that makes a more complete story in some ways. I mean, do you need to have read Unfinished Tales, or the Silmarilion, or The Adventures of Tom Bombadil etc to understand the Hobbit or Lord of the Rings? Of course not.

I would strongly recommend *trying out* SGA and SGU to see if you like them, but no, neither is required.

Watch what you like
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

some things will probably make more sense, but consider it background info and not per se super-vital.

Comment

Thanks, appreciate the replies. I just finished 10x03 which is where they tie up the supergate, destroy an Ori ship and a Wraith ship .. now, I had no idea who the Wraith were but that's ok - just wanted to check that there wouldn't be a lot more cross-plot stuff coming in the final 17 episodes of Season 10.

I'm definitely going to watch SGA, will no doubt initialy miss the characters of SG-1 which I think is what made SG-1 so special but am sure I'll take to the new lot

Hmm, I just checked out the relative dates of the shows. It looks like SGA started in July 2004 which would put it at the same time as early S08 of SG-1 and SGA was well into S03 when SG-1 S10 was airing.

I may rethink my plan and watch some SGA before completing S10 of SG-1, as thekillman said, some things will probably make more sense ... which leads me I suppose to another question ..

QUESTION
        How far into SGA should I watch in order for S10 of SG-1 to make more sense?

LOL, a crazy question I know but it's rare to get this chance to watch what I want and when and have the time to do so. I'm not about to be able to go back to work anytime soon so am keen to make the best use of the time

Thanks

Comment

PS. I did look at the relevant air-dates to see if the SGA episode, aired at the same time as the SG-1 10x03 episode I just watched had any reference to the content of the SG-1 episode and it didn't.

It does seem they are very different story arcs so still undecided .. think I'll go and watch SG-1 10x04 now though anyway

Comment

SGA "starts" at S8 of SG-1 if you are looking at a continuous timeline, so SG-1-S8-01 is at the same timeframe as SGA-S1-01.
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Great Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X