Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All-encompassing chronologies (timelines)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All-encompassing chronologies (timelines)?

Hi there all.

I'm a Stargate fan of a good few years but for various reasons my actual watching of the shows was sporadic. Thanks to the wonders of modern consumerism, I now have every TV episode plus the movie and the audios on disc, and I think I can get copies of most of the novels, and maybe the magazines and comics (affording that is a different matter, but never mind). So I thought I'd go for the whole watch-everything-and-in-the-'right'-order thing.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anyone who's been able to semi-harmonise all of the media. I've Googled a lot, and searched around here for a few hours. From that I've gotten an exact order for all of the video media, and got most of the audios down to within half a season or better.

So have I missed it? Is there actually an overarching timeline that works, or nearly works? As far as I can see, there's the thread of the movie through the three (plus SG: Infinity) TV series and their associated audio and print offshoots, then the thread of the movie through Bill McCay's books, then the thread of Dean Devlin's new movies which may or may not incorporate the McCay storyline. The Devlin/McCay stuff is easy, I've no idea about the first timeline.

I'm hoping it's just buried on a 30-page thread here and I missed it. Any help appreciated!

I've never heard the novels, comics, or audiobooks as part of the timeline. This is not Star Wars. There's no extended universe.

It's just Stargate '94, SG1, SGA, SGU, and the direct-to-DVD SG1 films. As far as I am concerned that is.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Thats just your personal 'canon' though. Which I have no issue with obviously. I'm not very familiar with Star Wars beyond the films, but as far as I'm aware all Extended Universe media actually is set in context with the films, even if it isn't regarded as canon by whoever controls it at the time.

I'm more interested in where things would fit in-universe than whether they are 'true' in-universe. I'm a Doctor Who fan, and everyone has a different idea of canon, but that doesn't stop there being a brilliant site like the Doctor Who Reference Guide (www.drwhoguide.com/who.htm) putting everything in an almost coherent order.

Comment

The problem is that many books and audio do not follow the series canon. Simply, watch it all and it makes no sense.

To be precise: the series itself only takes itself into account. Many things happen in the books but any character development, new tech and events do not exist in the series canon

Comment

Thats what I expected, but I didn't realise that would actually stop people trying to make some kind of sense of it. Still, at least the series is in an order.

Comment

Originally posted by rassilon256 View Post
            Thats what I expected, but I didn't realise that would actually stop people trying to make some kind of sense of it. Still, at least the series is in an order.
            You can always read them for fun

SGA S1 runs alongside SG1 s8.
            SGA s2 runs alongside SG1 S9
            SGA s3 runs alongside SG1 S10.

So It's movie, then Children of the Gods final cut (the first two episodes redone), SG1 S01E3 till SG1 S7, then alternating SG1 with SGA. Then after SGA comes SGU.

I don't know the best viewing order with the SG1/SGA overlap.

I am confident these kind of questions have come before, but i would recommend using google to search this site. Gateworld's search cant find me a thread even when i put the actual name in the search bar.

(so something like "Gateword Stargate viewing order")

EDIT:

ok i did it for you. it took some keywords but here:

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/8...ovel-timelines

is your answer.

SG1 Novels:

Trial by Fire - one of early seasons
            Sacrifice Moon - Between "Enemy Within" and "Emancipation"
            A Matter of Honor, and The Cost of Honor, Season 7, but refer back to Season 2, A Matter of Time
            Children of the Gods - late Season 5
            Siren Song - Season 4
            Survival of the Fittest - late Season 5
            Alliances - Season 4
            Roswell - Season 10
            Relativity - Season 7
            The Barque of Heaven - Season 3, after "Deadman's Switch"
            Do No Harm - likely Season 3 or 4
            Hydra - not sure
            Valhalla - Season 7
            The Power Behind the Throne - not sure
            Four Dragons - Season 7, shortly after Daniel returned to earth
            Sunrise - Season 4 - shortly after "Beneath the Surface"
            Transitions - early Season 9
            Ocean's of Dust - Season 4, after "Upgrades"
            Heart's Desire - late Season 3
            The Drift - late Season 8, shortly after "Affinity"
            Moebius Squared - Season 11, if there had been one
            tlantis:

Rising - S1
            Reliquary - S1
            The Chosen - S1
            Halcyon - S2
            Exogenesis - S2
            Entanglement - S2
            Casualties of War - S3
            Blood Ties - S3
            Mirror Mirror - S2
            Angelus - S4
            Nightfall - S4
            Dead End - S3
            Hunt and Run - S5
            Death Game - S2
            Brimstone - S5
            Homecoming - Post-Season 5
            The Lost - Post-Season 5
            Allegiance - Post-Season 5
            The Furies - Post-Season 5
            Secrets - Post-Season 5
            The Inheritors - Post-Season 5 (not yet released)
            Last edited by thekillman; 20 July 2014, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Thats just your personal 'canon' though.
              No, that would be the general canon.

I'm not very familiar with Star Wars beyond the films...
              Thank the gods, i'm not the only one.

I'm a Doctor Who fan, and everyone has a different idea of canon, but that doesn't stop there being a brilliant site like the Doctor Who Reference Guide (www.drwhoguide.com/who.htm) putting everything in an almost coherent order.
              Oh, must check it out.

Dude, I once spent time on counting words and screentime for Stargate Atlantis. There are all sorts of dedications, some more crazy than others.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                No, that would be the general canon.

Thank the gods, i'm not the only one.

Oh, must check it out.

Dude, I once spent time on counting words and screentime for Stargate Atlantis. There are all sorts of dedications, some more crazy than others.
                I was there when you counted the words and screentime. You counted the words to prove a point. Motivation is a powerful tool.
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  I was there when you counted the words and screentime. You counted the words to prove a point. Motivation is a powerful tool.
                  Exactly. It's all motivation's fault I spent hours watching SGA over and over and over again.

Comment

Still waiting for SG1
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Still waiting for SG1
                      I'll get to it. I just have to get through my rewatch first, and that means getting past Heroes.

Comment

Janet's death never struck me that much.
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Well, it shocked me. I'm kind of glad they did that "multiple SG-1's from multiple dimensions" episode, where they brought her back, even if it was for one time only.

Comment

Janet's death never struck me that much.
                            She fell victim to the Falcon Horus Curse of the Favorite Character --> it nearly always ends in death.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                              She fell victim to the Falcon Horus Curse of the Favorite Character --> it nearly always ends in death.
                              HOW DARE YOU like carson then? To protect our beloved people, hate them so they may live and escape your terrible curse!

Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                              X