Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do I begin? - First time watching Stargate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question. I also started off watching SGA. I really enjoyed it. I knew it was a spin-off, and that there were a lot of references to SG1. After I finished SGA, I watched the original movie, and have now started SG1. My problem is that many of the SG1 story lines are the same as SGA. While I enjoyed the story lines in SGA, it's immensely disappointing to watch SG1 and find out that so much of SGA is full of stolen plots. I knew in Atlantis that practically every single episode mentioned "hey, I think I remembering reading an SG1 mission report about something like this", but I had assumed that even if something similar had happened in SG1, they wouldn't blatantly copy it. I thought they'd change it up. Only so much is so similar. I just feel disappointed. And I love o'neill. I enjoyed the couple episodes he did on Atlantis, but now I'm a huge fan. I'm only on season 3 episode 2 of SG1, so I have a lot more to go, but for the most part I just feel like I discovered that what I thought was good story telling was plagiarized. Is this going to continue throughout the rest of the seven seasons of SG1? I never liked Elizabeth Weir that much, and I liked Sam Carter okay, but now getting to see who Sam Carter really is and her history on SG1 is pretty great. I like her more now.

Comment

Originally posted by ladonnaw View Post
      My problem is that many of the SG1 story lines are the same as SGA. While I enjoyed the story lines in SGA, it's immensely disappointing to watch SG1 and find out that so much of SGA is full of stolen plots.
      The Powers That Were of SGA were the same ones of SG1 so no they didn't plagiarize themselves, they blatantly dusted off their old scripts, changed some names and settings and voila new script.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

That being said, many of those ideas were probably done in other shows too. Star Trek for example. As long as you have good characters to add their own twist to things it's not automatically a bad thing.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

Originally posted by TealcOfTheTauri View Post
          That would be David Spade, not Spader, the comic and brother of handbag magnate Kate Spade. ;-)
          Yes, I kow that. Since I was quoting another person, and he said "Spader", that's the spelling I used.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            The Powers That Were of SGA were the same ones of SG1 so no they didn't plagiarize themselves, they blatantly dusted off their old scripts, changed some names and settings and voila new script.
            No they didn't.

You knew I was going to say that, didn't you?
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

You're correct that many of the plot points are "ideas" that you can find in many shows/stories. Actually, I enjoyed all of the "Kirk to Shephard" jokes in SGA because I like Star Trek and there are so many similar themes. I sort of assumed that the SGA bosses were from SG-1. But, I just didn't think they'd repeat plots, especially so obviously. It's almost like when they do an American version of a British show. It's very similar, but with a few changes to Americanize it. I guess I assumed that because it's a spin-off, it would be a continuation of the story (which I know it is), and that it meant they wouldn't repeat plots. And honestly even character types. I guess I shouldn't complain, because I really did enjoy SGA, and I'm enjoying SG1 so far, but I just can't shake my disappointment.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                No they didn't.

You knew I was going to say that, didn't you?
                I'd be disappointed of you hadn't.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                  That would be James Spader as Daniel, not David Spader.
                  James Spader could have played Joe Dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by ladonnaw View Post
                    I have a question. I also started off watching SGA. I really enjoyed it. I knew it was a spin-off, and that there were a lot of references to SG1. After I finished SGA, I watched the original movie, and have now started SG1. My problem is that many of the SG1 story lines are the same as SGA. While I enjoyed the story lines in SGA, it's immensely disappointing to watch SG1 and find out that so much of SGA is full of stolen plots.
                    And this is where my argument about changing the writers and TPTB on some sort of rotating basis comes in, keeps the show fresh and stops rehashes of old stories with new characters....
                    I prefer SG1, I like the team in SGA but as a whole it was weaker but that was the writing, not the cast, I liked the team, the character development was good but the rest, meh, as such SGA is the bottom of the three gates for me...
                    SGU ties with SG1, and I think that it, if given time to run its natural course would of been my favorite, it took what we knew of the gate back story and started to expand on it with some pretty good characters (some were weak but still) in the same way that the original SG1 took what was the foundation of the film and ran with it...

Comment

Originally posted by Trig View Post
                      SGU ties with SG1, and I think that it, if given time to run its natural course would of been my favorite, it took what we knew of the gate back story and started to expand on it with some pretty good characters (some were weak but still) in the same way that the original SG1 took what was the foundation of the film and ran with it...
                      I basically agree with you. Given more time, SGU might well have become an epic series that earned a place among the best. IIRC, TPTB intended each season to be a distinct chapter with its own characteristics. It was a bold plan that I would have loved to watch to completion. Alas, the vision didn't align with the business of television. TPTB had a long-term plan that could have elevated SGU to the pantheon of great science-fiction. The very same plan condemned it to the short-term demands of the television business. Anyway, yes: SGU had greater originality than SGA, but it didn't survive long enough to fully flower. (Brother Freyr feels sad now.)

Comment

Working...
                      X