Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do I begin? - First time watching Stargate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do I begin? - First time watching Stargate.

Greetings,

I started watching Stargate Atlantis and I absolutely loved it.
    But it felt like I missed a lot of backstory. I hastily researched the internet and found out about the franchise.
    I was totally confused about the movies and TV-series, and did not get were to begin.
    I really loved the one episode I watched. Therefore I wanted to start from the very beginning of the series.
    It felt like this site was the right place to plead for some good and solid help or guidance.

So my question would be, what movie or TV-series in the Stargate franchise should I start with? And where should I go next?

Thanks,

Cyrzxi

"Star Gate" - the 1994 Movie. Followed by Stargate SG-1 Series 1-7. Then it gets a little more indepth in terms of viewing orders. Come back to us at that point!

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Quick brief ( )
      1994- Stargate the Movie is released and introduces Jack O'Neil and Daniel Jackson. It is pretty much a stand alone movie when made, but leads to........

1997- SG-1 is made. It uses Jack and Daniel, yet Jack is a much more friendly, playful guy to an extent. Daniel is pretty much unchanged as the Actor (Michael Shanks) tries to emulate the original Daniel as much as possible.
      The Major Change here is that the Stargate does not just go from point A to point B, but is part of a galactic network of gates that can go, well, anywhere. It also introduces Teal'c (an alien based on humans, but is a surrogate host for the "bad guys" children, and Samantha Carter, a genius Air force Captain and Scientist.
      Seasons 6-8 tend to be a sort of "crossover" period for SG-1, but also introduces the elements for SGA before going back to do their own thing (with a few semi new characters and new characters)
      At the Beginning of S8 of SG-1, SGA is introduced as a new series with new leads, but with a major "anchor character". SG-1 and SGA run concurrently for 3 years until SG-1 ends at S10
      SGA runs 2 more years, ends, then is followed on by SGU as a new series with a bit less crossover for characters, but in the same "universe" established in SG-1 and SGA.

Take each element (movie/SG-1/SGA/SGU) as you like or dislike them, but that is the "timeline"
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Note: watch Children of the Gods - director's cut (or final cut?) in stead of the actual episode, it's simply less confusing.

(that's s01e01)

Comment

Stargate (1994) > Stargate SG-1 (seasons 1-8) > Stargate Atlantis (season 1) > Stargate SG-1 (seasons 9 and 10) > Stargate Atlantis (seasons 2-4) - Stargate SG-1: Ark of Truth > Stargate Atlantis (season 5) (after Sam leaves for Earth, watch > Stargate SG-1: Continuum and then resume the rest of SGA) > Stargate Universe (1-2).

That's how I watched it and I enjoyed it. Pretty much like Gatefan1976 explained it. I don't care for the final cut of the first two SG-1 episodes, that's just a tribute for Don S. Davis, who played General Hammond on SG-1 and once on SGA. They even had a ship re-named in his honnor in SGA's final episode (in honnor of the character and his actor).

Comment

Originally posted by Mnikolic View Post
            I don't care for the final cut of the first two SG-1 episodes, that's just a tribute for Don S. Davis, who played General Hammond on SG-1 and once on SGA.
            The final cut adds and explains quite a few things, a lot better. It's also less confusing with the proper ship CGI rather than a one-off, never seen again crappy design. It makes Teal'c more of a person and i think it's pretty much how the episode should've been from the beginning.

@cirzxi, by the way, welcome to the forums!

Comment

Start with the 1994 Kurt Russel movie, Stargate, with David Spader as Daniel.
              Then move onto Season 1-7 of SG1.
              When you get to S8 of SG1, you should really go 1 disk of SG1, 1 disk of SGA (season 1), till you are done with S8-10/S1-3. Then since SG1 is done with, just watch arc of truth and continuum before restarting up S4 and 5 of Atlantis.

Comment

Thank you very much, everyone.
                I think I've a clear and solid pattern (or something) to follow now.

Does the animated series Stargate Infinity have any relation to the other series?
                Is it worth watching?

Thank you again, this was a pleasant welcome to the community.

Sincerely,
                Cyrzxi.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrzxi View Post
                  Thank you very much, everyone.
                  I think I've a clear and solid pattern (or something) to follow now.

Does the animated series Stargate Infinity have any relation to the other series?
                  Is it worth watching?

Thank you again, this was a pleasant welcome to the community.

Sincerely,
                  Cyrzxi.
                  We never discuss that abomination. It does not exist.
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    Like your pants Jel?
                    sigpic
                    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                      Like your pants Jel?
                      *covers eyes*
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrzxi View Post

Is it worth watching?
                        No relation what so ever. It was produced around about series 5 of SG1 and doesn't account for pretty major revelations and consequently cannot be part of the same continuity. It's not actually all that bad providing one doesn't get too purist about things. Worth a watch, I think, if only to make your own mind up about it. But it IS a children's series - and there's no escaping that. And at the end of the day, kids seem to like it and that's what matters.

THEORETICALLY, if you wanted to assign SG Infinity its own separate continuity it would go;

Star Gate The Movie > Stargate SG1 S1-5 > Stargate Infinity.

Nothing post S5 of Sg1 (including Atlantis and Universe) is compatible.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                          Like your pants Jel?
                          What pants?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                            Should I ask why it is an abomination? I have never seen it. I've never made it passed Heroes Part 2 from season 7 of SG1.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kirsten187 View Post
                              Should I ask why it is an abomination? I have never seen it. I've never made it passed Heroes Part 2 from season 7 of SG1.
                              He's talking about Stargate Infinity, which is a cartoon show, which has little to do with the live action shows.
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Working...
                              X