Something I've always wondered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
    IIRC the jumper was still trying to go through the gate itself. The gate was not sucking it in.
    That's because it was stuck...if I remember correctly. And what in the name of all that is good does IIRC stand for? I refuse to google! >:l
    By Nolamom
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Aesop View Post
      Well in Eli's case he was still conscious, and his arm was dematerialized. My point is if you're head has passed through the event horizon, it's dematerialized so you're essentially unconscious, right?
      IIRC (If I Recall Correctly) then anything that passes through the event horizon but not fully still exists and interacts normally. Otherwise, Eli's arm would be incredibly pale and completely numb after pulling his arm out, and extremely painful as blood does not get replaced properly.

Besides, in Gemini we see Replicarter disabling her arm after stepping through, indicating the same: that you're still in once piece as long as you're not completely through.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        IIRC (If I Recall Correctly) then anything that passes through the event horizon but not fully still exists and interacts normally. Otherwise, Eli's arm would be incredibly pale and completely numb after pulling his arm out, and extremely painful as blood does not get replaced properly.

Besides, in Gemini we see Replicarter disabling her arm after stepping through, indicating the same: that you're still in once piece as long as you're not completely through.
        I thought anything that penetrates the event horizon is dematerialized and stored in the buffer and is only transmitted once the entirety of the object has been "uploaded" to the buffer? If Eli there were physiological issues by pulling a dematerialized body part back out of the gate wouldn't gate travelers experience the same issues when exiting a gate?

Comment

If there were physiological issues by pulling a dematerialized body part back out of the gate wouldn't gate travelers experience the same issues when exiting a gate?
          Consider for a moment what happens when you cut off your arm. The blood flow going to your arm can continue freely and so you lose blood, while the blood flow from your arm suddenly stops. The whole circulation system in your upper arm grinds to a halt.

Consider for a moment what happens when you stick an arm through the event horizon. The blood flow going to your arm can continue freely (it gets absorbed into the event horizon) and so you basically bleed dry. Pulling out your arm suddenly frees up all the blood so his arm would be bleeding and he would get more and more pale. In the case of an amputation your body might physically react and cut off the flow more, but in this case it doesn't get a signal that half the arm is missing and it happily continues pumping blood.

Considering that Eli doesn't become extremely pale, it's a safe bet that the buffer allows your arm to function normally, making it more like a Hammerspace. Similarly the MALP can continue to drive through when it's half-absorbed and Replicarter can cut of her arm when standing in the event horizon.

Comment

well i have to guess that the writers did think that much... they change the science often...

Comment

I thought anything that penetrates the event horizon is dematerialized and stored in the buffer and is only transmitted once the entirety of the object has been "uploaded" to the buffer? If Eli there were physiological issues by pulling a dematerialized body part back out of the gate wouldn't gate travelers experience the same issues when exiting a gate?
              It only dematerializes you once the whole object is in. If it instantly dematerialized whatever passed the event horizon, it wouldn't be much different from a giant blender.

I could be overthinking it but I imagine the whole transportation would take place in several steps

Entry) self explanatory

Analysis) it will not dematerialize an object unless the entirety of the object has passed through and it will scan to see if there is more to the object. If it is an object within an object (passengers in a ship) it will "save" the small object (put it in some sort of suspended animation) when it has completely passed through but continue monitoring and analyzing its input so if the ship decides to suddenly pull back out or if it's blood circulation returning to the body it can spit back what it has.

Dematerializing) once the entire object through, it takes it apart and sends it as a ZIP file (at least the Ancient's version of a ZIP file)

Rematerializng) once the object is at its destination gate, it will put the whole object back together

Loading) The opposite of analysis. It makes sure the whole object is at the destination gate and puts the whole thing in some sort of suspended animation in one piece. If it doesn't load up the entire thing first and put it in some sort of suspended animation (IE, just rematerialize it just right before it leaves the event horizon), then there would be some serious physical issues (your head reamaterializes and emerges from the event horizon first but since the rest of your body has not been rematerialized it would just fall to the ground since it's not connected to anything)

Exit) the whole object is at its destination so the stargate slides it out.

This makes sense to me but I could be overthinking it.

sigpic
              Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
              https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Working...
              X