No announcement yet.

How powerful is the Stargate universe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im talking about the old "how do jedi deflect lasers when they move at c gotcha!"
    the response I heard was that blasters are just bolts of super heated ozone...which move at around the speed of an airsoft gun. if this is true than all blaster technology would be unfit for use in space battle as at most ranges a ship could see the blast coming and move.

Comment

Originally posted by firstarchon View Post
      im talking about the old "how do jedi deflect lasers when they move at c gotcha!"
      the response I heard was that blasters are just bolts of super heated ozone...which move at around the speed of an airsoft gun. if this is true than all blaster technology would be unfit for use in space battle as at most ranges a ship could see the blast coming and move.
      Umm, Jedi Reflexes and limited precognition?
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

so they're reflexes allow them to move at relativistic speeds? also the fact that you can see the movement of blaster bolts also prove that they are very slow they would have to almost move slower than an arrow for them to be as visible as they are.

Comment

so they're reflexes allow them to move at relativistic speeds? also the fact that you can see the movement of blaster bolts also prove that they are very slow they would have to almost move slower than an arrow for them to be as visible as they are.
          you're trying to apply a level of precision to this that simply doesn't exist. The movie only says they're "blasters". Luke can use the Force as a form of extrasensory perception and can use the force to "predict" where the blast hits.

How the lightsaber even reflects the bolt is completely unknown. For all we know, blasters fire the same stuff Lightsabers are made of, but less focused or whatever.

Trying to talk sense into that is like trying to come up with a Unified Theory of Magic in harry potter.

Trying to apply the idea of regular blasters to space weapons is even more ridiculous.

As to "not doing a whole lot" to ships: Again the Death Star (hence my Ad Infinitum earlier). To construct a station like that you would need truly exotic materials. Normally i'd say that applying something like that to regular ships would be bogus, but the Death Star would rob entire planets of their resources just to be built. Applying it to regular ships would just be a tiny step on a long journey already taken.

you can't say a group is on par with the ancients when they're basic infantry weapon is less effective than a musket
          That's not even an argument. The intent of the Death Star was to rule by fear of the weapon. Not to take on every single person in the galaxy with a blaster.

in starwars I never saw anything which would make it seem that blaster bolts (even ship based) were anymore energetic or even on par with the blast from a hatack (which seems to be variable yield as it was seen destroying cities yet destroying ion cannons without destroying everything else nearby)
          The Ha'tak seem to be kiloton range MAX. The Death Star has the energy to blow up a planet. Scaled down for reference, that's still gigatons for a small ship. Do note that the idea throughout the Original Trilogy was to capture skywalker, not blast his ship out of the sky.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            As to "not doing a whole lot" to ships: Again the Death Star (hence my Ad Infinitum earlier). To construct a station like that you would need truly exotic materials. Normally i'd say that applying something like that to regular ships would be bogus, but the Death Star would rob entire planets of their resources just to be built. Applying it to regular ships would just be a tiny step on a long journey already taken.
            if you scrap a planet for raw materials you get a lot of iron and silicon not a lot of magic mega metal for the purpose of deathstars and hallo arrays (you know metal that would melt like butter when it gets hit by a 200 megaton hatak blast) you could argue that the deathstar is made of non terrestrial elements but these planets would need to have mostly these materials or it would require the destruction of multiple planets to construct a death star. which points out another weakness an engineer from SW thought that a flying planetitoid battle station was a practice idea when the weapon that destroys the planet could have been much smaller (again obvious idiocy ie. no where the intelligence of the ancients) .
            not to mention that the weapons in question shouldn't have worked at all for several reasons.

That's not even an argument. The intent of the Death Star was to rule by fear of the weapon. Not to take on every single person in the galaxy with a blaster.
            remember the planet with the sentinel? or the tollan? just because a group has technology doesn't mean they're smart...obvious flaws in almost everything done in SW proves that SW is more likely to kill themselves in their own ineptly designed ships than be a threat to anyone else (hey guys lets make it so theres a hole leading to out reactor on the outside of our battles station (that we had to destroy several planets to build) and then let rebels escape with the plans so we can find out where the rebels are).
            The Ha'tak seem to be kiloton range MAX. The Death Star has the energy to blow up a planet. Scaled down for reference, that's still gigatons for a small ship. Do note that the idea throughout the Original Trilogy was to capture skywalker, not blast his ship out of the sky.
            the weapons fire must have seemed to be not out of place or they would have said "hey i think they're trying to capture us because we're not a rapidly expanding sphere of plasma right now" which means if you ignore the outliers of the deathstars etc than you are left with 303's having superior weapons
            Ad Infinitum almost everything in SW seems weak imo the only thing that was even a little powerful was the plot magic of the deathstar and even that had ridiculous flaws. the energy output of a ha'tak is variable yield but it's been seen to go as high as 200 megatons (and that was an old ship used by apophis) the newer versions and flagships would almost certainly be far more powerful.

Comment

if you scrap a planet for raw materials you get a lot of iron and silicon not a lot of magic mega metal for the purpose of deathstars and hallo arrays (you know metal that would melt like butter when it gets hit by a 200 megaton hatak blast)
              If you scrap a planet in Stargate you can get naquahdah and trinium. Secondly, who says it has to be metal, or just metal?

Thirdly, i didn't mean a literal planet scrapping. For all we know, they harvest neutron stars. It's not explained nor shown.

these planets would need to have mostly these materials or it would require the destruction of multiple planets to construct a death star
              They have a galaxy at their disposal. A few planets would not be missed.

which points out another weakness an engineer from SW thought that a flying planetitoid battle station was a practice idea when the weapon that destroys the planet could have been much smaller
              It wasn't meant as a weapon. How often do i need to repeat this? The specific reason for it's existence is highlighted in A New Hope ( i watched it like a week ago). It's the Doctrine of Fear. In stead of ruling via a puppet senate, the Emperor wanted to rule absolute. An unstoppable weapon that destroys planets wasn't meant to destroy planets, but to keep possibly tens to hundreds of thousands of planets in check. Cause anyone who doesn't listen get destroyed.

The specific weakness of the first Death Star was that 1: the engineers didn't think anyone would do a pointless suicide run and 2: if Skywalker wouldn't have been there and used the force in a way only Vader and the Emperor can, the thing wouldn't even have been destroyed. Accounting for a trillion to one chance that a potential super-powerful Jedi would be there is daft, even for the most fearful engineer.

The second Death Star had no such weaknesses. It only got destroyed because the Emperor put too much faith in his ability to turn Skywalker. Cause if he didn't do this, the rebel fleet would've been instantly destroyed. Again, it was the Emperor's specific desire to use the battle to enrage Skywalker and cause him to use the Dark Side (and become part of it).

Whether this was dumb is irrelevant.

just because a group has technology doesn't mean they're smart
              Technology users =/= technology developers. NASA's ineptitude caused the death of several astronauts when they thought damage to the heat shield wasn't a big deal. Who made the call? the people in charge. Who designed the ship? qualified people. Are they the same group? nope.

the weapons fire must have seemed to be not out of place or they would have said "hey i think they're trying to capture us because we're not a rapidly expanding sphere of plasma right now"
              Oh yea they're only the leader of the rebellion and the only Jedi in existence. nothing worth capturing. Oh and do they have to state the obvious? she was captured before and kept alive.

the energy output of a ha'tak is variable yield but it's been seen to go as high as 200 megatons
              One mention. Every single other instance contradicts that.

almost everything in SW seems weak imo the only thing that was even a little powerful was the plot magic of the deathstar
              Seams weak =/= weak. Keep in mind we're comparing a 1998-2010 show to a 1980's movie. Practical effects limited the depiction. Also Michael Bay hadn't gone into directing yet . It's clear from indisputable facts that having "hot air weapons" as you described them makes no sense in the context of the movies.

Lastly, just because something seems like a kind of metal, doesn't mean it IS. Having plenty of education in the field of material engineering, any mention of "as strong as steel" makes me roll my eyes and wonder exactly what kind of steel. Because steel can be 5-10 times stronger than steel. Oh and it looks no different. Except i could hang a car by one strip of steel and a bus by another strip.

Comment

If I *know* at 10:19 that at 10:20 I have to have my lightsabre in a certain position to deflect a bolt, I hardly have to move at relativistic speed, do I?
                sigpic

Comment

This may help as well:

Stargate: type 0 with elements of type 1 and 2 tech
                  Star trek: Type 2
                  SW: Type 3
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                    If I *know* at 10:19 that at 10:20 I have to have my lightsabre in a certain position to deflect a bolt, I hardly have to move at relativistic speed, do I?
                    not necessarily but that could be solved by having a triple barrel blaster and deflecting multiple shots from multiple directions from a semiautomatic weapon would require breaking relativity

Comment

not necessarily but that could be solved by having a triple barrel blaster and deflecting multiple shots from multiple directions from a semiautomatic weapon would require breaking relativity
                      Sure, which is why you see Jedi get cut down by clones when the order is given for them to go all imperial.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JWSmythe View Post
                        Someone else mentioned that Doctor Who shouldn't be even considered.
                        I was the one who mentioned to leave Doctor Who out of versus battles. If you think about it it makes perfect sense to do so.
                        Doctor Who while I enjoy watching (Especially David Tennant, who is one of the most brilliant Scottish actor IMHO) has no exact science besides the time where he uses science that already exist in the real world or believable to be exist in the near future. No, time travel is not one of them. Especially the one depicted in Who. Even the technobabble would make someone sane think the Doctor is a looney toons bat **** bonkers. Wibbley-wobbley, timey-wimey? Einstein would make a facepalm and Hawking would roll out of his electric chair.
                        Also Timelords used devices like the Moment, which is a Galaxy Eater, which was so powerful it developed concioussness.
                        We have furthermore: Daleks, Cybermen, Intelligent snow, the Silence, Minotaur like space creature that can detect guilt and eat your brain without touching you, Weeping angels...

Timelords can timelock events making anyone without a Tardis (and the Doctor) impossible to go back to that time. That pretty much blows the SG1 go back and kill them when they are not yet advanced strategy out of the water. Along with the Borgs who also used similar strategy against the Enterprise once.
                        The tardis can go anywhere regardless of shields, phase, time, place.

So yes, the Who-verse is overpowered against anything.
                        sigpicHallowed are the Ori.

Comment

@ firstarchon

This guy. Just OMG.

Even Destiny Khan could hide behind all the fanboy rant he is spouted out there.

Don't misunderstood me. I'm a fan of SG too to the end, writer D.E.M. aside.

But...

1) Not accepting logic and disregarding what is and what not accepted as CANON
                          2) Using SG-1, Carter and Rodney as an all purpose go to team, magicly able to whip up anything, break into any facility etc..
                          3) Narcissistic attitude

Aint gonna convince anybody that SG has a chance against these universes.

For goodness sake, stop using the time travel and out of phase thing as an all purpose, if everything fails option.
                          Remember Moebious. They were just after one damn ZPM and they F*-ed up (sorry for strong language, remove if necessary) the whole timeline. Also every time they time travelled in the series it was handled differently, sometimes events creating multiple timelines, sometimes not. Inconsistency or just writer plot twisting D.E.M. We could argue on that for days.

Thanks for reading. No disrespect intended.
                          sigpicHallowed are the Ori.

Comment

Working...
                          X