How powerful is the Stargate universe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How powerful is the Stargate universe?

I would like to know: just how powerful is the Stargate Universe compared to other science fiction multiverses out there? How is it compared to Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5, etc?
    http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...m/Earth001.jpg

Well... this is going to explode.

For what it's worth I always figured that overall the Stargate universe was more powerful than Star Trek's. I mean, the events of the franchise transpire throughout multiple galaxies. Star Trek mainly focuses on one small region. Star Wars covers the entirety of their galaxy but nothing beyond it.

Really though I don't think there's truly and objective answer, people will answer according to how they personally rank the respective franchises.

Comment

Originally posted by Earth001 View Post
      I would like to know: just how powerful is the Stargate Universe compared to other science fiction multiverses out there? How is it compared to Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5, etc?
      Powerful in what sense?
      sigpic
      ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
      A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
      The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Aesop View Post
        Really though I don't think there's truly and objective answer, people will answer according to how they personally rank the respective franchises.
        With a bit of science you could go a long way.

Star Trek is a difficult beast to tackle because... well raw power-to-power Star Trek wins. The thing is that with Stargate, the hyperdrive allows earth to pick it's battles. Still, in terms of sheer numbers and industry the Trek verse is simply further along the line.

Star Wars is no contest. Stargate is simply too few numbered to do anything. Numbers on the table, each Stargate ship will run into a star destroyer. Every ship. Star Wars wouldn't even have to fight our ships, they could just bombard every planet in the galaxy clean (thats about 1000-10000 habitable planets) and wait until the rest surrenders.

Not exactly an expert on Babylon 5.

Battlestar Galactica is at the bottom of the food chain.

Industry-wise, stargate simply isn't very well developed.

Comment

The fan will simply pick his most favorite series as the winner.

I'd like to say Stargate since A4GR tech seems superior to Star Wars tech. I'd make the same comparison to Star Trek (the Ancients/Ori seem on par with Q and his bunch while the replicators would probably beat the borg, and A4GR tech still beats Trek tech), but I never really got into Trek and there might be a race I missed.

But I go back to what I first said. Fans will probably choose their favorite as the winner.

sigpic
          Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
          https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

A4gr?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              A4gr?
              Yeah I'm lost with that one too...

Comment

Anti-Replicator Gun? V4?
                The Planet buster gun from Atlantis that was ran off bottled vacuum energy?
                The Defence sats from S1 of Atlantis that Grodin died on?
                sigpic

Comment

Boom I got it! "Alliance of 4 Great Races"

Nailed it.

Comment

Boom I got it! "Alliance of 4 Great Races"

Nailed it.
                    Makes sense, I believe you did just nail it
                    With that in mind, I don't think their tech was more advanced based on the fact that the Asgard tech, even after a few thousand years after the ascention of the Ancients is not all that and a box of dice. Stargate tech Excels at raw speed of travel, but falls down in sheer destructive power. Basically, killman is right on the money here.
                    sigpic

Comment

Makes sense, I believe you did just nail it
                      With that in mind, I don't think their tech was more advanced based on the fact that the Asgard tech, even after a few thousand years after the ascention of the Ancients is not all that and a box of dice. Stargate tech Excels at raw speed of travel, but falls down in sheer destructive power. Basically, killman is right on the money here.
                      Well yea "more advanced =/= more powerful". Raw power to raw power, Star Wars takes the crown. Q may be powerful but he also seems to have no interest in the ST universe, as the Ascended do not in Stargate. Star trek is the hardest to compare because it has more developed worlds, yet stargate deals with a galaxy and galactic travel. Star Wars in that respect trumps both.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                        Well yea "more advanced =/= more powerful".
                        Not entirely.
                        SG has superior Engine tech than both SW and ST, yet it's weapons tech is woefully behind both in terms of what it can do.
                        SW can blow a planet in one shot, ST can do a similar action with energy weapons over a longer timeframe, or release stuff like the Metaron cascade and obliterate all life on a planet in moments. SG needed either a stellar imbalance, or an Ori enhanced naquadria nuke to do the same.

Raw power to raw power, Star Wars takes the crown.
                        Raw power, or sheer numbers?
                        Q may be powerful but he also seems to have no interest in the ST universe, as the Ascended do not in Stargate.
                        I dunno if you ever read the Q continuum books, but Q does have a vested interest in humanity, he just has a very odd way of showing it

Star trek is the hardest to compare because it has more developed worlds, yet stargate deals with a galaxy and galactic travel. Star Wars in that respect trumps both.
                        ST, to my mind is the most technologically balanced and plausible of the 3 universes.
                        Of course, throw a sonic screwdriver into the mix and you have all kinds of problems
                        sigpic

Comment

Raw power, or sheer numbers?
                          both.

Star trek has a small region of well-developed planets. Stargate has a massive region with barely developed planets (even things like the Asgard or Ancient cities are horribly underdeveloped). Star Wars has a galaxy filled with planets that are highly developed. Industry-wise, SW can just massively outproduce both SG and SW. The Deathstar just proves they also have the sheer firepower to take down everyone. It requires ZPM levels of power to do that, and the Empire has the ability to generate such power without having to search the galaxy for remnants of a previous race.

Comment

Yeah I agree with you there. Star Wars has entities like Kuat Drive Yards and Mon Calamari Shipyards who can churn out large scale fleets and with the availability of droids the labor to produce them is quick and efficient.

No other franchise really rivals the sheer destructive power of the Death Star. I mean you have the Dakara Superweapon in Stargate and the Halo array in Halo but none of them flat out vaporize a world, in both cases that they were used they just destroyed life forms.

Comment

Yeah I agree with you there. Star Wars has entities like Kuat Drive Yards and Mon Calamari Shipyards who can churn out large scale fleets and with the availability of droids the labor to produce them is quick and efficient.

No other franchise really rivals the sheer destructive power of the Death Star. I mean you have the Dakara Superweapon in Stargate and the Halo array in Halo but none of them flat out vaporize a world, in both cases that they were used they just destroyed life forms.
                              I think you still underestimate the sheer power of the industry of SW. I mean, look at what Earth makes in stargate. That's one planet right? Look at every other planet in Stargate. Look at what Vis Uban, the crown jewel of the Ancients looked like. Look at what Atlantis, the jewel of the Lanteans looked like. The asuran homeworld is quite close to what hundreds if not thousands of Star Wars planets look like. The second death star was made in a matter of years, in a universe without beaming tech or whatever.

I know you're agreeing with me. I just don't think the whole sheer industrial capacity of the Wars universe (which is heavily unified too) is coming across to everyone. I mean, they sent no less than three Star Destroyers after Luke. Each has the capacity to glass a world. Each ship carries thousands of fighters. Each fleet has dozens of Star Destroyers. The Emperor could send a -by star trek AND stargate standards- large fleet to every main target in either show's universe and still have the reserves to do it again.

The SW's universe strength isn't it's superweapons. It's strength is that it can send stuff in by the thousands, stuff that for SW is fairly mundane but would make any Gate or Trek officer sweat. A single Star Destroyer would be one hell of a fight. Dozens are just Wars steamrolling. Trek's weapons simply do not match the order of magnitude of firepower from Wars and even if they did, sheer numbers would steamroll them. The same applies to Gate. Atlantis could hold out for a while maybe, but we have one atlantis and they have dozens of fleets that can take it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X