Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What plot would you like for the Devlin/Emmerich film reboots?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
    I have heard many people say that over the years but i just don't see it.

Here is the real deal:
    Originally posted by wikipedia
    The idea for the film came when Emmerich and Devlin were in Europe promoting their film Stargate. A reporter asked Emmerich why he made a film with content like Stargate if he did not believe in aliens. Emmerich stated he was still fascinated by the idea of an alien arrival, and further explained his response by asking the reporter to imagine what it would be like to wake up one morning and discover 15-mile-wide spaceships were hovering over the world's largest cities. Emmerich then turned to Devlin and said "I think I have an idea for our next film."

Comment

So it was more based on just aliens like SG, but not a full on sequel.

Comment

So it was more based on just aliens like SG, but not a full on sequel.
        Precisely. Obviously he re-used quite a few ideas (roswell-like aliens though obviously distinguished enough), big ships (the ha'tak was MASSIVE), nuclear solution etc so that's where the similarity comes from.

Furthermore, i keep seeing him talk about how Stargate was meant to be a trilogy, but since we know no details whatsoever, Independence Day is probably not too far off from a "Ra's people come back for revenge".

Comment

The guy keeps saying that Stargate was meant as a trilogy, but he got his idea for ID while talking with a reporter while promoting Stargate. We know Stargate was kind of a success so green lighting a sequel to the studio should've been an easy thing. But it never happened, why? I dont believe Devlin intended to further develop Stargate, it was most likely a one off with an open ending to make the viewers ponders on their fragile existence and the possibilities of whats out there.

Same with ID, theres nothing at the end to let you think theres more to say. The movie was about humanity coming together to defeat a greater threat, they did, the end. Plus ID was his second movie and was released in 1996, meaning it went in production right after Stargate, but the SG1 debuted a year later in 1997.

Why would the studio screw Devlin on a Stargate sequel and give him the go ahead to make another alien movie only to make a stargate tv show without him a year later? Simple, been there done that. He wasn't interested or didn't believe it would work so they hired Wright and Glassner instead.

I wouldn't be surprise if the new movies incorporated a few elements and concepts from the TV shows, after all he proved over and over again he has no imagination and likes to borrow ideas from other more successful shows and movies.
          Last edited by meo3000; 23 June 2014, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by meo3000 View Post
            The guy keeps saying that Stargate was meant as a trilogy, but he got his idea for ID while talking with a reporter while promoting Stargate.
            So what?
            We know Stargate was kind of a success so green lighting a sequel to the studio should've been an easy thing.
            17th highest grossing film of 1994, yeah it was Kinda of a success.

But it never happened, why? I dont believe Devlin intended to further develop Stargate, it was most likely a one off with an open ending to make the viewers ponders on their fragile existence and the possibilities of whats out there.
            5 novels were written based on SG 1994, one at least before SG-1 existed and based on RE/DD notes for SG "2".

Same with ID, theres nothing at the end to let you think theres more to say. The movie was about humanity coming together to defeat a greater threat, they did, the end. Plus ID was his second movie and was released in 1996, meaning it went in production right after Stargate, but the SG1 debuted a year later in 1997.
            What is this supposed to prove?

Why would the studio screw Devlin on a Stargate sequel
            They did not "screw him", MGM bought the rights to a movies IP, it happens all the time.
            and give him the go ahead to make another alien movie only to make a stargate tv show without him a year later? Simple, been there done that. He wasn't interested or didn't believe it would work so they hired Wright and Glassner instead.
            ID4 was made by 20th Century Fox, not MGM. At that point, RE & DD were just freelance Directors/Producers with no pull to just "do what they wanted". Stargate was Emmerich's second film, hardly a licence to do what you wanted in the 90's in Scifi.

I wouldn't be surprise if the new movies incorporated a few elements and concepts from the TV shows, after all he proved over and over again he has no imagination and likes to borrow ideas from other more successful shows and movies.
            LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            SG-1/SGA/SGU are ALL rip-offs of Stargate 1994, perhaps you should look at Wright/Glassner/Cooper et al to throw stones for lack of imagination. OR, you could just say they had different visions, and both were interesting.
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              They did not "screw him", MGM bought the rights to a movies IP, it happens all the time.
              Devlin sold the rights willingly, he can cry all he wants, he preferred the money over his creation.

ID4 was made by 20th Century Fox, not MGM. At that point, RE & DD were just freelance Directors/Producers with no pull to just "do what they wanted". Stargate was Emmerich's second film, hardly a licence to do what you wanted in the 90's in Scifi.
              He came up with the idea, if he had no say in the artistic direction it was because he sold it, again.

Cant accept the guy is a hack? The Librarian is an Indiana Jones ripoff, Leverage is a Hustle(UK) ripoff, The Triangle is a Threshold ripoff, ID is a ripoff of all previous alien invasion movies combined and copied many elements of his first movie Stargate, upcoming Geostorm is a Day after Tomorrow meat Armageddon ripoff. I loved Leverage, but it was still barely good enough and cheasy most of the time.

Hes not that good of a producer or writer, his body of work speaks for itself. You want to defend the guy, go ahead. It wont make him better at his job.

Comment

The Librarian is an Indiana Jones ripoff...
                I think that's supposed to be the idea... The Librarian isn't supposed to be spectacularly good, or brilliant. I love those movies, cause they're so idiotic. And I don't even like Indiana Jones.

...Leverage is a Hustle(UK) ripoff
                But it's okay for the US to remake UK shows?
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Why would the studio screw Devlin on a Stargate sequel and give him the go ahead to make another alien movie only to make a stargate tv show without him a year later? Simple, been there done that. He wasn't interested or didn't believe it would work so they hired Wright and Glassner instead.
                  Because he was a rookie movie maker with no rights to that movie. MGM apparently saw more potential in a show. I wasn't there when they made such decisions, but isn't "MGM wanted TV show, Devlin/emmerich wanted movies so they got someone else for the job" more likely than "they screwed him because they could". There are a dime a dozen writers in the world. If you're not available someone else is.

Devlin sold the rights willingly, he can cry all he wants, he preferred the money over his creation.

He came up with the idea, if he had no say in the artistic direction it was because he sold it, again.
                  Yea no that's not how it works. As that recent link said: before Stargate went to theaters the investors chickened out and sold their shares to MGM. He has power now maybe, but as a rookie movie maker there's not much say in all of this. He sold his IP? it's not really your IP if someone else pays the bills.

Cant accept the guy is a hack? The Librarian is an Indiana Jones ripoff, Leverage is a Hustle(UK) ripoff, The Triangle is a Threshold ripoff, ID is a ripoff of all previous alien invasion movies combined and copied many elements of his first movie Stargate, upcoming Geostorm is a Day after Tomorrow meat Armageddon ripoff. I loved Leverage, but it was still barely good enough and cheasy most of the time.
                  I'm not defending him but...the new spider man rips off the old spiderman ripping off the even older spider man. the movie spiderman hasn't changed in decades.

The Marvel movies rip off the marvel comics.

the DC movies rip off the DC comics.

Edge of Tomorrow rips off Groundhog day

Expendables rips off every movie all the actors involved ever made

Star trek (2009) rips off star trek (all that came before).

It's rip off or go home. And it's not even a recent trend.

Comment

So what?.
                    I think what he was trying to say is what is evidence (his report of making ID4 after a reporter gave him an idea), is refuting his claims ID4 was always supposed to have been a sequel to Star Gate.

Comment

I think what he was trying to say is what is evidence (his report of making ID4 after a reporter gave him an idea), is refuting his claims ID4 was always supposed to have been a sequel to Star Gate.
                      ID4 was ID4, not SG-2
                      No one but fans have claimed this ID4/SG connection to my knowledge.
                      sigpic

Comment

Didn't Devlin himself make that connotation?

Comment

Didn't Devlin himself make that connotation?
                          Not that I am aware of dude. He got the idea for ID4 during the interview and said "I have an idea for our next movie". You could read that two ways I guess. 1: He had an Idea for his next movie OR 2: He had an Idea for his next -Stargate- movie. AFAIK, The next SG movie was supposed to be about finding a gate in a crashed starship underneath some pyramids and was supposed to be called "Necropolis: City of the Dead". I cannot however say accurate that was *at the time*
                          sigpic

Comment

In the movies Ra was the last of his kind and built the gates, but I never understood how he made it to and from Earth considering that Abydos was on the other side of the known universe (which is a distance so long we shouldn't even bother putting a number on it). That and other details would probably change...that is if he wants to be a bit more sciencey.

May take on what I would have the Trilogy be:

Stargate 1:
                            10,000 years ago Ra came to Earth as part of a dying race and found a way of using Human hosts so he invited the remaining aliens to join him. They began reproducing and fighting each other after establishing a "village" size population. The humans revolt when they are at their weakest and Ra takes off and goes to set up his camp in Abydos as the last of his kind. Abydos has several cities spread across it and Ra takes human slaves to become his foot soldiers. Most get killed off (population control) and only a select few become his personal entourage. This happens regularly.

Jack and Daniel go to Abydos, discover the city, and send a team back to earth (Perhaps a 3rd main character?). The Abydos camp gets attacked, and when Earth sends back the 3rd person back, they get caught and Ra learns about Earth and vice versa. Ra leaves Abydos with a small fleet of his loyal peeps and travels to Earth (Spacegates?). The heros back on Abydos take their nuke and find their way on...well a SG-1 Politics rip off takes place.

Stargate 2:

The Russians saw the whole space "battle" and guess what? During WWII the Japanese in china found...a gate. When the Soviet Union liberated Mancheria, they got hold of the gate as it was being taken to Japan for study. They figure out that it must be related to the space battle and sends a team to it's connected world (gates can dial each other, but no one knows that yet. They think its like a combination thing).

The Russian team finds a remnant of Ra's peopled. It turns out that his race had different factions and Ra was the last of one faction. They thought that the Russians were Ra's people and hilarity ensues...I mean death, lots of death. So 'Murica comes in to save the day and have to find a more diplomatic solution to this situation. The problem is...the reason Ra's race was dying was because they were at war with another species and they know we are here and have a few gates that lead to the refuge worlds of the other more benevolent factions of Ra's race, and they are coming to Earth.

Stargate 3:

So the Chinese aliens help out the American/Russian program locate the other gates for civilizations in other parts of the world. The problem is, that the Chinese aliens aren't angels, and there's some intrigue involved. They find 4 other gates, and send teams only to find 1 surviving faction. Chinese peeps double-cross Earth, kills off the other faction and teams up with the 3rd starts an Independence Day like attack on Earth (Maybe the 3rd race was fabricated to make us complacent?). Eventually our heroes as well as the Human followers of the Chinese faction defeat he enemy.

Spin offs:

TV Series: The Stargate aliens did make the stargates, and there is a 3rd enemy. Some people still think that the threat was real and the US/Russia need to do something about it. Different stargate systems exist in the Galaxy. A gate can't dial another gate from a different system (incompatible technologies, like a Mac and a PC). So they use a ship to travel to Ra's race's old stargate system. And from there the adventures begin, hopping from system of gates to others. The series can include politics on Earth, Life on the ship and its outposts, contact with different lifeforms (not a la Star Trek, actual alien lift...as in strange to us).

Spin off Films: Perhaps a film that takes place 10,000 years ago? Maybe Earth Humans developed long forgotten civilizations and created their own gate network? Maybe that's how Ra found earth and instead of using Human stargates, he used his own stargates. Maybe the humans found out about this and that's what sparked the revolt?

Books: The possibilities are endless. Entire stories set in the past or in the present (since humans are invovled) in any of the alien factions.

Games: Any of the battles or campaigns can be recreated or explored. maybe based on the books or series or spin off movies?
                            By Nolamom
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X