Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ascended are Morally Wrong

Ok, so, hear me out.

When the Ancients ascended they took on the rule of non-interference. If you ask me this rule allowed them to argue to themselves they were doing the right thing (non-interference means they can't make things worse), but they are guilty of a far bigger crime.

Evil needs only for people to stand by and do nothing, and the Ancients and other ascended beings did exactly that whilst the Goa'uld rose to power and enslaved the galaxy. They were prepared to let Anubis wipe out all life as a means of punishing Oma, yet this would have been a far greater crime.
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield- Tennyson
    http://darthtimon.wix.com/meerkatmusings
    http://meerkatmusings.co.uk/

Originally posted by darth_timon View Post
    Ok, so, hear me out.

When the Ancients ascended they took on the rule of non-interference. If you ask me this rule allowed them to argue to themselves they were doing the right thing (non-interference means they can't make things worse), but they are guilty of a far bigger crime.

Evil needs only for people to stand by and do nothing, and the Ancients and other ascended beings did exactly that whilst the Goa'uld rose to power and enslaved the galaxy. They were prepared to let Anubis wipe out all life as a means of punishing Oma, yet this would have been a far greater crime.
    As we found out in Season 9 and 10 they also didn't want to alert the Ori to their presence in the Milky Way Galaxy and draw them there.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

They were prepared to let Anubis wipe out all life as a means of punishing Oma, yet this would have been a far greater crime.
      im pretty sure they were expecting Oma to do the right thing and battle anubis.

Comment

They were prepared to let Anubis wipe out all life as a means of punishing Oma, yet this would have been a far greater crime.
        Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        im pretty sure they were expecting Oma to do the right thing and battle anubis.
        The way I understand it, the point was never to punish Oma for her mistake. It was to force her to accept responsibility for her mistake and fix it herself, despite the sacrifice that would entail. For all we know the Others would have intervened at the last moment had Oma not done the right thing. Failing that, the knowledge that Oma had both the responsibility and power to stop Anubis probably would have allowed themselves to feel guilt-free.

"BRITTA? WHAT KIND OF LAME NAME IS THAT?"

Comment

I don't think they would have stopped Anubis if Oma had done nothing. Its pretty clear that their non-interference policy was a result of not wanting to be the corrupt people that the Ori became. Also remember what diner Anubis said. The fate of one galaxy is small compared to the rest of the universe
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

That non-interference is crapola, they interfere all the time. Morgan Lefaye said it best, as long as you dont figure out you are being "helped" by an ancient, pretty much anything goes. Even then, if its for the greater good, they'll let it slide.

Comment

Originally posted by meo3000 View Post
              That non-interference is crapola, they interfere all the time. Morgan Lefaye said it best, as long as you dont figure out you are being "helped" by an ancient, pretty much anything goes. Even then, if its for the greater good, they'll let it slide.
              The ascended are practically gods. Interfere with one thing, and next you're on a sliding scale of intervention where Ascended are solving petty thievery.

the big question is, with so much power, where do you draw the line? and so, the Ascended drew the line at "not at all".

That being said, we don't exactly know what the Others were doing all this time, i'm sure they have their own dimension to manage.

Comment

Ok, so, hear me out.

How much do you care about the struggle of the insects living in your lawn? How about the insects living in the lawn of some guy living on the other side of the world?
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                  How much do you care about the struggle of the insects living in your lawn? How about the insects living in the lawn of some guy living on the other side of the world?
                  I have seen nothing to actually prove that the "Ascended" are in any way actually BETTER then us "mundane's" They are just a bunch of elitist snots.

*goes outside and steps on crickets.*
                  I like Sharky
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
                    I have seen nothing to actually prove that the "Ascended" are in any way actually BETTER then us "mundane's" They are just a bunch of elitist snots.

poor crickets.

Comment

Ok, so, hear me out.

Isn't that what God does?

*runs away and hides*

Comment

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post

isn't that the problem though? that while being all-powerful they're still largely...us?

Comment

Ok, so, hear me out.

Indeed. Much like the God of the Torah/Bible/Qur'an.

Comment

The ascended are practically gods. Interfere with one thing, and next you're on a sliding scale of intervention where Ascended are solving petty thievery.

the big question is, with so much power, where do you draw the line? and so, the Ascended drew the line at "not at all".
                            Exactly. They saw what interfering did with their brethren in the Ori, and it led to them sapping worshipers. So they said we would rather not risk the temptation.

That being said, we don't exactly know what the Others were doing all this time, i'm sure they have their own dimension to manage.
                            Plus since it was said many times there are Others besides the ancients in the ascended realm, who's to say the 'non interference policy' was put in BY them, not these others.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                              Plus since it was said many times there are Others besides the ancients in the ascended realm, who's to say the 'non interference policy' was put in BY them, not these others.
                              well it sounded like the Ancients were strong advocates of the idea. Still, the amount of people against it is just a handful, so i'd imagine it was a collective decision of the Ascended.

Comment

Working...
                              X