Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Bridge Hadn't Ended Atlantis... Alive in 2014?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Bridge Hadn't Ended Atlantis... Alive in 2014?

For argument's sake, if the Bridge Studios crew had continued churning out the Anderson-style of Stargate (SG1/SGA), do you think an iteration of the franchise would still be on today? If so, would it have gotten stale?

In my mind, the only possibility that would've kept it running through 2014 is:
    • 2009 Renewal for Atlantis Seasons 6 & 7 - through 2011
    • 2010 Launch of an Anderson-style 3rd Spinoff: ie- a late 30s-early 50s O'Neill/Sheppard-type in the lead with a genius Daniel/McKay-type co-star; a charming but serious Carter/Weir-type; and a powerful Teal'c/Ronan-type alien

Even then, I think the ratings would have gradually declined, making the franchise struggle for life right now. I do think we probably would have seen a low-budget Stargate: Revolutions featuring the original SG-1 + Mitchell & Landry. Though I'd imagine RDA's knee injury might have made shooting that film difficult to impossible considering they made it out to be in the S1-8 style, which obviously had Jack running around A LOT!
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

It got a nice chunk of money from DVD sales, so no.

and after seeing what S6/the movie of Atlantis was about.... im glad SGA got cancelled.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
      It got a nice chunk of money from DVD sales, so no.
      Huh?
      sigpic
      "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
      ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
        Huh?
        Stargate made a nice amount of money though dvd sales. That around SGA s5-SGU- s1 the bottom fell out of the DVD market, it would still have hit Stargate hard. This is why the SG1 and SGA movie were never made either.

Other factors affected the death of Stargate too, and making a series in the spirit of the old series doesn't remedy that.

Comment

i think the stargate(s) could have went on, but only with new writers coming in.

the story of stargate isn't stale, it's the writers that lost their mojos. it happens to everyone.
          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
            i think the stargate(s) could have went on, but only with new writers coming in.

the story of stargate isn't stale, it's the writers that lost their mojos. it happens to everyone.
            Agreed. It might have helped if MGM had sold the rights to another studio, but that never would have (nor is it likely it ever will) happen. Given recent history, I would be really interested to see Stargate in the hands of AMC and their resources.

Comment

No, I don't think SGA would've lasted until 2014. If it would be renewed, it would be for at least 2 more seasons (one to conclude the Wraith storyline and one to conclude any open-plots from previous seasons, for example - what really happened to Wier, what happened to Ford, perhaps we would see more of that Tribunal thing and of course, some focus would be put on exploring Atlantis in detail). SGA ended in 2009, so I think the writers/producers would have to conclude the show by the end of 2011. The I guess they'd still make SGU, but I don't think it'd last more than a season with the new management on board.

Comment

SGU would still be on if they didn't use flashbacks for characters backstory/development and the damn communication stones. So much time was wasted with those, time that could've been used for adventure. They wanted grittier less fun, im fine with that, but dont replace action with drama. that was the biggest mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by meo3000 View Post
                  SGU would still be on if they didn't use flashbacks for characters backstory/development and the damn communication stones. So much time was wasted with those, time that could've been used for adventure. They wanted grittier less fun, im fine with that, but dont replace action with drama. that was the biggest mistake.
                  i dont know how much of the show you watched...but flashbacks was mostly just the first episode.

That being said, the first season, especially the first half could´ve used *bit* more adventure. But i think it would still be around if MGM and Syfy knew what they wanted

Comment

I would have liked to see SGU continue with the drones as the nemesis, much like the Replicators were for the Asgard.

Comment

Perhaps it'd be nice if SGU would've established the Ursini were the drone builders, but due to them going into hibernation, their own tech turned against them. The Ursini would then temporarily join forces with the Destiny crew, thus, wiping out the drones (except one). Then, the Ursini would try to take Destiny, but the drone technology from the one remaining drone (secretly saved by Dr. Rush), would provide the needed power for the ship to dial back to Earth (thus, ensuring a one-way trip back home). Young and Wray would eventually succeed getting the control of the ship back, making the Ursini surrender to the military personal, which would force them to go trough the Stargate to the first planet the ship connects to. Then Rush would find out in the last remaining drone's databanks that yet another drone is hidden somewhere on Earth, so Young sends a message to the SGC (or Stargate Homeworld) that the hidden drone may provide the Stargate Command with the needed energy to dial the 9th chevron.

Comment

I believe SGA would still be alive and they might have even made another spin off. SGU was just a bad idea.

sigpic
                        Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                        https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Originally posted by meo3000 View Post
                          SGU would still be on if they had better characters. SG1 and SGA both had great characters you got attached to and wanted to know more about.
                          SGU...let's just say I began remembering them as Colonel Clueless (Young), Lieutenant Dimwit (Scott), Sergeant Caveman (Greer) and Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dumber (Brody and Volker). I found these nicknames more amusing than the SGU characters.

sigpic
                          Stargate spin off series: Stargate Millennium
                          https://www.fanfiction.net/u/5580179/StargateMillennium

Comment

Originally posted by StargateMillennium View Post
                            I believe SGA would still be alive and they might have even made another spin off. SGU was just a bad idea.
                            even the writers admitted they thought season 6 would be the last one. So no, it would be cancelled a season later.

The reason isn't ratings, but rather the profit. production costs go up for a show per season (actors earn more the longer they're on a show) but if the ratings stay steady (an indication of income) then inevitably a point is reached where the show costs more than it earns. For SGA that apparently was season 5/6.

Comment

Or for SG-1, season 11.

Comment

Working...
                              X