No announcement yet.

The future of SG-1.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG-1 is fine the way it is/was. I DO NOT want it rebooted, because it'd be just a lame copy of itself.

The cast was perfect and everyone did their role perfectly fine. The story was truly amazing and the characters will always be legendary. Although I still think the franchise would do just fine without the final two SG-1 seasons (thus putting more fuel into SGA's and later, in SGU's engines), I think that if a new SG TV series happens, it should do its own thing.

But if SG-1 does get rebooted, I'll only watch it if the new writers re-write the story, put in something that was never tried before and come up with some new, unique and original characters. New sets and props wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Comment

Originally posted by jdjunkie View Post
      Can't think of a single instance when Daniel thought he was better than anyone else. In fact, he thought wasn't up to snuff. Remember Meridian? When he thought his life was no more valuable than anyone else's and nothing he'd done made him worthy of ascension? Yeah. Obviously completely up himself, as we say round these parts.

We're not.

Apparently.

Can't green you as I have to spread it around....however consider yourself Greened..

Deeds xx
      sigpic
      Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
      MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
        You mean he's not the one that called Jack a "stupid son-of-a-*****" in "Menace", because he was mad at him for shooting Reese in order to shut her down? Among other things.

And his inner evil child wasn't the one who came out in "Need" or whatever episode it was when he accused Sam of never knowing what real love was like; or in "Absolute Power" when his control freak side came out (even though it was in a dream). Those were parts of him just like the kind side was.
        I would never argue that Daniel is a perfect person; I do think that he's a fascinating character in that he has such a layered and nuanced personality. I love the team, I love the team interactions, and I think that each of them has parts of their personalities that are less than admirable in addition to their positive qualities. I don't see that emphasized particularly more in Daniel than the others.

His reaction in Menace was understandable, I think, as were Jack's actions. Neither of them had known what was going on on the other side of the door, and tensions were very high. And Absolute Power was trying to make the point that no matter how good a person is to begin with, they will be corrupted by the knowledge of the Goa'uld.

I'm not trying to convince you to like Daniel - if you don't, you don't, and variety is the spice of life . But I'm not sure that he's specifically better or worse than any other character in the show.

Comment

I think that's the dichotomy of having "new reboot SG1" ...for most of us we have our love of such a great Team - and obviously some of us will have different favourites and find faults with others that perhaps can't be seen elsewhere - which makes it very difficult to accept that these guys who were in the TV series for such a long time and found our way into our hearts, will not be in the reboot....would I love for Michael Shanks to reprise Daniel? of course I would..Will he?..I bet he won't..same goes for RDA, Amanda and Chris....that's life and as time marches on it becomes impossible to recreate something as magical to us as the Original...

As far as any one team member having arrogant/bad/thoughtless/evil/dumb/take-your-pick-which-one-suits-whoever character traits...well I'm sure they've all done some of the above during 10 Seasons....

Deeds xx
          sigpic
          Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
          MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

You mean he's not the one that called Jack a "stupid son-of-a-*****" in "Menace", because he was mad at him for shooting Reese in order to shut her down? Among other things.

And his inner evil child wasn't the one who came out in "Need" or whatever episode it was when he accused Sam of never knowing what real love was like; or in "Absolute Power" when his control freak side came out (even though it was in a dream). Those were parts of him just like the kind side was.
            In Need the sarcophagus essentially takes away what is good about a person.. You see Jack begin to descend in much the same way in Abyss. It's like a drug so pretty much anyone would end up behaving the same way.

Likewise in Absolute Power, that was a dream but the moral that he was being taught is that to take on the complete knowledge of the Goa'uld also means taking on a lot of the evil that they represent, like their desire for ultimate power and so on, so again it isn't representative of Daniel as a person.

As for the incident with Reece, yeah he was pissed off with Jack, but given his belief that Reece was largely an innocent child and that he was finally getting through to her then that was understandable.
            In throughout the rest of the series he tends never to be rude or a jackass to anyone except those who deserve to be questioned on moral grounds, like the people from 'The Other Side'.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by magickmoons View Post
              I would never argue that Daniel is a perfect person; I do think that he's a fascinating character in that he has such a layered and nuanced personality. I love the team, I love the team interactions, and I think that each of them has parts of their personalities that are less than admirable in addition to their positive qualities. I don't see that emphasized particularly more in Daniel than the others.
              THIS

The way I look at is that Colonel Edwards got it right when he told Daniel that Jack said Daniel was a pain in the mikta "but well worth it." It's his job to question, to push, to play devil's advocate, and I love to see him dong that within the team dynamic. Gotta love the team.

I like my heroes to be layered and interesting, even if it does make them said mikta pain. Better that than a Mary Sue/Marty Stu.

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
              In throughout the rest of the series he tends never to be rude or a jackass to anyone except those who deserve to be questioned on moral grounds, like the people from 'The Other Side'.
              Aaaand THIS

As for a reboot: Go ahead and do it. It won't take away the ten years and two movies' worth of SG-1 that I know and love.

Comment

Originally posted by Mnikolic View Post
                SG-1 is fine the way it is/was. I DO NOT want it rebooted, because it'd be just a lame copy of itself.

But if SG-1 does get rebooted, I'll only watch it if the new writers re-write the story, put in something that was never tried before and come up with some new, unique and original characters. New sets and props wouldn't be a bad idea either.
                I agree with the spirit of what you're saying, absolutely. Though, I believe a reboot could work without resetting everything. The problem with that word is the way we in Hollywood throws around the term "reboot" for almost any project these days. It's loosely defined at best, and often applied to projects that are remakes, or re-imaginings - all slightly different things. So, I guess what I'd like to see is a "soft reboot" - one that is set in the world we're familiar with, and the history we know, but takes places a few years after the defeat of the Ori. New team, new worlds, new enemies, but still treating what came before as cannon. Obviously, we've seen this before with ST:TNG, but they had the luxury of setting that time frame over a decade ahead of TOS.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffSkinner View Post
                  I agree with the spirit of what you're saying, absolutely. Though, I believe a reboot could work without resetting everything. The problem with that word is the way we in Hollywood throws around the term "reboot" for almost any project these days. It's loosely defined at best, and often applied to projects that are remakes, or re-imaginings - all slightly different things. So, I guess what I'd like to see is a "soft reboot" - one that is set in the world we're familiar with, and the history we know, but takes places a few years after the defeat of the Ori. New team, new worlds, new enemies, but still treating what came before as cannon. Obviously, we've seen this before with ST:TNG, but they had the luxury of setting that time frame over a decade ahead of TOS.
                  i could live with that, but emmerich/devlin don't like the tv version of stargate, so it will be completely ignored and treated as non existent.
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                    i could live with that, but emmerich/devlin don't like the tv version of stargate, so it will be completely ignored and treated as non existent.
                    I have heard you say this before but yet to see any truth to this
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

I have to disagree with your opinion that Daniel was the heart and soul of the show. He was annoying, rude, insulting, childish - just to name a few of the times he reacted badly to various situations.

And since SG1 is about the team, and always was, I don't believe the show was intended to be the Jack and Daniel show with two back-up players. If it had been, I would never have watched the show. I watched it because of the team, and not because Daniel thought he was better than everyone else.
                      I agree. Daniel was a pretty good character, but personally, I found him insufferable and annoying.

I really hope they do a reboot or just another stargate show.

Comment

I may not make friends by saying that, but I'd love a reboot (as long as they don't do it the Star Trek way - destroying the original verse via time travel - so that a continuation of that is at least theoretically still possible! (oh: and not like Star Wars either...RIP expanded universe...and **** you JJ Crap-Rams -.-)) - though in a way I'd love a continuation, too!

If a reboot happens I'd like it to be less "childish" (taking itself more serious (without being grim-dark - like New BSG - just for the sake of it as constant bleakness is a damned buzzkill!), less goofing around - as much as I like Jack playing stupid, but sometimes it just pisses me off (I mean the guy is a upper echelon military (only generals are above him) so he can't be that stupid!)), like having larger teams (combat-medic, designated marksman and maybe a guy carrying an MG would have been nice) and doing more combat ops and interrogations and stuff (at first they stumbled around too much...recon my ass, take a few Jaffa prisoners and ask them how you can hurt the Goa'uld (phrase it like this: Your "god" has enemies, tell me where their bases are so we can hurt them - we will let you go if you cooperate!) etc. - no mindless dialing one address after another -.-).

Oh and: For christ's sake use captured technology and strip sites you have visited bare (fought a battle? - Steal every staff-weapon, zat-gun, staff-cannon etc. from the site and maybe re-purpose them...read in fanfiction that some guys had similar ideas: Saw off a staff-weapon, add sights and a shoulder stock and you have a decent rifle at almost no cost...stack two staff-weapons on top of each other while you are at it and you have a lot of firepower and/or rate of fire!)

ps: There's so much more - like: Don't let yourself be treated like god-damned errand boys by the Tok'ra -.- (I like the Tok'ra but I think they treated the humans in the show wrongly - hell, Jacob Carter is later cut out of the loop because he's not the usual docile peasant from a medieval world as a host -.- and has to steal from them in order to give the SGC much needed information!) and other high tech civilizations (the Tollan come to mind and the Asgard aren't the most helpful either (sure: they gave the SGC their legacy, but they started off using the team for their own gain with little being given back - no: the protected planets treaty was not that helpful, as it was a damned sham, a house of cards that could collapse any second (remember that nice naquadah-asteroid and their response? - despite naquadah not being an element our solar system has which was proof that it was not from here!))....note: I am not saying not to help, but a little help in return should be forthcoming (without needing to beg)...like say some technological schematics (the Asgard would not even have to give them their own ship technology, some schematics for Ha'taks would have been enough...)

Damned I am ranting, I will stop here (it's just that reading fanfiction has shown me that the SGC isn't really all that militant - despite Daniel always ranting about being the good little Samaritans (despite Earth looking at annihilation if the Goa'uld ever thought of really attacking (only after the discovery of the ancient weapon are they reasonably safe and only till that gets destroyed by a lucky wraith dart -.-). Hell, they would have lost without that lucky quantum mirror trip Danile took! - Note: I am not saying they should turn into the NID - but they shouldn't try to be "Galaxy Aid" either -.-)

Comment

Working...
                        X