The future of SG-1.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The future of SG-1.

I know that SG-1 is sacred to most people. The original cast was tremendous. I was never a huge Amanda Tapping fan but Michael Shanks played his role so well that I believe Daniel Jackson became the heart and soul of the entire show. Episodes he wasn't there always felt wrong. Corin Nemec was great but he was no Michael Shanks. Christopher Judge was amazing as Teal'c. In the end, we come always come back to RDA. He was the massive name that brought the show together. The lighthearted personality and almost childlike wonder he brought to the character was extremely memorable.

Ultimately, this original cast could never be improved upon. If somewhere down the line SG-1 gets a reboot, I would have mixed feelings. On one hand I would be super scared that they would do something to destroy a franchise that will always hold a special place in my heart. On the other hand, I miss the show tremendously and I would enjoy to see how things might have played out differently in another alternate universe.

In my perfect alternate SG-1 universe, I would cast Billy Burke from NBC's Revolution as O'Neill. His mannerisms in Revolution seem to mesh incredibly well with RDA's. Considering that they have some really vague similarities in appearance, I think he'd be a perfect fit.

Who else would you cast in a SG-1 reboot?

Originally posted by mrericpearson View Post
    I know that SG-1 is sacred to most people. The original cast was tremendous. I was never a huge Amanda Tapping fan but Michael Shanks played his role so well that I believe Daniel Jackson became the heart and soul of the entire show. Episodes he wasn't there always felt wrong.
    Shanks was/is great. I do believe that Daniel was always meant to be the co-lead with Jack, as he was in the film.

Corin Nemec was great but he was no Michael Shanks.
    In the past, I would've agreed with you. I always really liked Jonas, and my only real criticism was he wasn't Daniel. I struggle thinking about Jonas now though, because I honestly think Nemec is a sick and hateful man. I have never before, and probably will never again hold a role an actor played against them. We've all seen amazing characters play vile villains, and it turns out great! Not so with "Star-ving," created, produced, and starred in by Nemec--a show he shot with his friends and put online recently. Really sick stuff.

Ultimately, this original cast could never be improved upon. If somewhere down the line SG-1 gets a reboot, I would have mixed feelings. On one hand I would be super scared that they would do something to destroy a franchise that will always hold a special place in my heart. On the other hand, I miss the show tremendously and I would enjoy to see how things might have played out differently in another alternate universe.

In my perfect alternate SG-1 universe, I would cast Billy Burke from NBC's Revolution as O'Neill. His mannerisms in Revolution seem to mesh incredibly well with RDA's. Considering that they have some really vague similarities in appearance, I think he'd be a perfect fit.

Who else would you cast in a SG-1 reboot?
    I share your hopes for an SG1 reboot, but I strongly doubt it will happen. I do think Stargate will eventually see a reboot, but it will either be using the Emmerich continuity, or something completely new. I wish you were right, because I MUCH preferred the SG1 interpretation to the film's.
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

Comment

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
      I share your hopes for an SG1 reboot, but I strongly doubt it will happen. I do think Stargate will eventually see a reboot, but it will either be using the Emmerich continuity, or something completely new. I wish you were right, because I MUCH preferred the SG1 interpretation to the film's.
      a reimagination ala Star Trek, or BSG is more likely than a continuation ala Star Wars.

Personally, i think we can have our cake and eat it too, as there are quite a few basic things about SG1 that made it great: Likeable characters, moral grey areas, a chance to learn from eachother and a contemporary setting to name a few.

Comment

As someone who only really liked the Tok'ra and the Goa'uld, I can't say I want the reboot as it is described.
        sigpic
        Smilies made by Roeskva (http://www.tokra.dk/smilies.html)

"Hear this. The days of the Goa'uld System Lords are numbered. Tell them that I died with hope. My death only feeds the fire that burns strong in the Tok'ra." (Jolinar, "In the Line of Duty")

Comment

I don't think you could bring the same atmosphere with different actors, a continuance or a reboot could still do well, but trying to make it the same as SG1, I couldn't do it imo, like thinking of someone else to be in the same mold as RDA/O'Neill or Judge/Teal'c etc.

The only thing in SG1 that I got into thinking as a sort of continuance, was when O'Neill etc was training those 4 recruits in Proving Ground, Elliot etc. Going from that kind of background having a few new recruits come through that system could be a way to go for a continuance.

As for actors, no idea, I could imagine Keither Sutherland, but that's just because 24 is back lol.

Comment

I know that SG-1 is sacred to most people. The original cast was tremendous. I was never a huge Amanda Tapping fan but Michael Shanks played his role so well that I believe Daniel Jackson became the heart and soul of the entire show. Episodes he wasn't there always felt wrong. Corin Nemec was great but he was no Michael Shanks. Christopher Judge was amazing as Teal'c. In the end, we come always come back to RDA. He was the massive name that brought the show together. The lighthearted personality and almost childlike wonder he brought to the character was extremely memorable.
            I have to disagree with your opinion that Daniel was the heart and soul of the show. He was annoying, rude, insulting, childish - just to name a few of the times he reacted badly to various situations.

And since SG1 is about the team, and always was, I don't believe the show was intended to be the Jack and Daniel show with two back-up players. If it had been, I would never have watched the show. I watched it because of the team, and not because Daniel thought he was better than everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
              I have to disagree with your opinion that Daniel was the heart and soul of the show. He was annoying, rude, insulting, childish - just to name a few of the times he reacted badly to various situations.

And since SG1 is about the team, and always was, I don't believe the show was intended to be the Jack and Daniel show with two back-up players. If it had been, I would never have watched the show. I watched it because of the team, and not because Daniel thought he was better than everyone else.
              I don't think we're talking about the same Daniel...
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Sounds more like a description of Jack to be honest
                Originally posted by aretood2
                Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  sounds more like a description of jack to be honest

Ya think???
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                  MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post

I'd agree with you there ...but then I'm an unashamed Daniel fan.....and have thoroughly enjoyed the character being played by both Spader and Shanks ....one of the very few characters in Sci-Fi that after nearly 10 years I still find interesting and refreshing to watch even after the umpteenth re-run...

As to who would play him in the reboot, I'm an old fart who doesn't really follow the recent films and programmes that much, so to quote Dr Jackson "I have no idea!"

Deeds xx
                    sigpic
                    Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                    MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

stargate was about jack and daniel. stargate: sg1 was about a team, featuring jack, sam, daniel, and teal'c. and that's the facts.
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post

Personally, i think we can have our cake and eat it too, as there are quite a few basic things about SG1 that made it great: Likeable characters, moral grey areas, a chance to learn from eachother and a contemporary setting to name a few.
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                          stargate was about jack and daniel. stargate: sg1 was about a team, featuring jack, sam, daniel, and teal'c. and that's the facts.
                          So we are ignoring S6, S8, S9, and S10 then.
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

You mean he's not the one that called Jack a "stupid son-of-a-*****" in "Menace", because he was mad at him for shooting Reese in order to shut her down? Among other things.

And his inner evil child wasn't the one who came out in "Need" or whatever episode it was when he accused Sam of never knowing what real love was like; or in "Absolute Power" when his control freak side came out (even though it was in a dream). Those were parts of him just like the kind side was.

Comment

I watched it because of the team, and not because Daniel thought he was better than everyone else.
                              Can't think of a single instance when Daniel thought he was better than anyone else. In fact, he thought wasn't up to snuff. Remember Meridian? When he thought his life was no more valuable than anyone else's and nothing he'd done made him worthy of ascension? Yeah. Obviously completely up himself, as we say round these parts.

We're not.

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              So we are ignoring S6, S8, S9, and S10 then.
                              Apparently.

Comment

Working...
                              X